The Student Room Group

Long Haul Flight?

I will be going on a 14 hour flight next week and I haven't been on a plane since I was a kid.

So I was wondering about a few things:

-Is it safe to sleep on a plane? (I've heard about bad circulation when in planes, especially if you don't move around often)
-How can I reduce the popping in my ears?
-Should I tell the flight attendants about my nut allergies? (I've heard the particles circulate around the air in the plane)
-Where is the best place to sit on a plane?
-How often do turbulences occur? And what are they like?

If you can answer any of these: thank you!
As far as I know it is okay to sleep on a plane as long as you don't sit on your legs or block circulation to any other part of your body, I usually get up and walk around as much as possible though.
apparently, I don't know if this is actually true but it works for me, sucking on a hard sweet when you take off and land can reduce ear popping.
I am really not too bothered about where I sit but at the front of the compartment i.e. row 1 always has the most leg room
Turbulence is usually very mild unless the weather isn't so good and its basically no worse than going over a speed bump in a car,it's nothing to worry about.
I have no idea about the nut thing sorry.
hoe this helps
When it's meal time (there will be two due to the length of your flight), ask the flight attendants if the meals are nut free. Other than that, read this:
https://www.peanutsusa.com/about-peanuts/health-nutrition/186-nuts-on-planes-myths-media-and-facts.html
Oh, and turbulence is about 3 or 4 times per flight in my experience. As long as you're safely fastened in your seat, it shouldn't be too harsh
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by CookieMonster456

-Is it safe to sleep on a plane? (I've heard about bad circulation when in planes, especially if you don't move around often) Yes. But get up a few times (hell, you'll need to go to the loo at some point)
-How can I reduce the popping in my ears? Anything that forces you to swallow is good - like sucking on a boiled sweet - you can also hold your nose and try to blow out, can equalise your ears for the same effect
-Should I tell the flight attendants about my nut allergies? (I've heard the particles circulate around the air in the plane)
They should be aware already of your allergy from your booking, but if it's that severe that mere nut particles in the air can set you off then maybe you shouldn't be flying?
-Where is the best place to sit on a plane? Personally, I always go for the back and an aisle seat, so I can get up as often as I want without disturbing anyone, but if you want resistance from turbulence, then try to sit over the wing.
-How often do turbulences occur? And what are they like? No way of saying, but it's normal weather phenomenon and nothing to be worried about. It'll essentially feel the same as driving on a rough road.

If you can answer any of these: thank you!

In bold
(edited 7 years ago)
I fly a lot, although very rarely long haul at the moment.

Is it safe to sleep on a plane? (I've heard about bad circulation when in planes, especially if you don't move around often)
Totally safe! If you have low blood pressure though you might want to consider getting some compression socks. They are really cheap and it might put your mind at rest, especially if its 14 hours, also as @Mentalmirz said, make sure you move around frequently.

-How can I reduce the popping in my ears?
Chew chewing gum, or suck a boiled candy. Yawn as often as possible on decent and if you need to hold your nose and gently blow.

Yes! Cabin crew deal with this all the time. I know someone who has nut allergies and flies a lot. cabin crew make an extra effort not to serve nuts near him, let other passengers know they can't eat nuts close by etc.

-Where is the best place to sit on a plane?

Personally I like a window seat in front of the engines as there is less vibration (which gets annoying after a while), also toilets tend to be at the back of planes, so many people will constantly walk by and wake you up.

-How often do turbulences occur? And what are they like?

Severe turbulence, virtually never in my experience. I've been grounded once due to hurricane winds (lol!), but apart from this its never even delayed a flight for me. Light turbulence just feels like being rocked around on a bus.

Hope this helps and enjoy your trip!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending