The Student Room Group

How late can you make Interrailing train reseravtions?

I plan on going on a last minute short interrailing trip from Berlin to warsaw to Krakow to Prague.

It says on the interrail app a reservation is compulsory on some of these journeys but I have no idea how to book them. The interrail website won't let you do it until you have your pass but I don't want to buy my pass if all trains are full around the time I want to travel since it's only a short trip. For example, there is around 1 train a day from Berlin to Warsaw that's 5 and a half hours and if I can't get on one of them for a couple of days then I have to spend 13 hours making this journey and that's a whole day lost.

So is it easy to get reservations at the train station on the day or a few days before or is it something that should have been booked a long time ago?
Original post by jess151
I plan on going on a last minute short interrailing trip from Berlin to warsaw to Krakow to Prague.

It says on the interrail app a reservation is compulsory on some of these journeys but I have no idea how to book them. The interrail website won't let you do it until you have your pass but I don't want to buy my pass if all trains are full around the time I want to travel since it's only a short trip. For example, there is around 1 train a day from Berlin to Warsaw that's 5 and a half hours and if I can't get on one of them for a couple of days then I have to spend 13 hours making this journey and that's a whole day lost.

So is it easy to get reservations at the train station on the day or a few days before or is it something that should have been booked a long time ago?

I think it depends on what time of year you travel in, I think June-August are the most popular months. However when I went inter-railing this June I only made 3 reservations on trains where it was compulsory. All the trains I didn't book a reservation had plenty of empty seats to sit in (although I rarely travelled in peak time but when I did this was fine), and when it came to booking reservations - one I booked the night before on the local train company's website and picked it up from a ticket machine at the station with no problems, another I made about an hour before the train was due to depart that day and the other one I went to the station 2 days before and booked the reservation for the train I wanted to get. Again with no problems! So you should be fine. I'd suggest looking on the local train company's website to book it but if you can't do that (as sometimes their websites don't work properly) then once you arrive in whichever country prior to the next just book the reservation so you have it when you're ready to leave.
You can make them as late as you want but it's not recommended that you do that because if you leave it until like an hour before you get on the train you want they might have run out of seats - that's not an issue though, it just means you'll have to sit on the floor and you'll look like a mug and get in the way of EVERYONE (speaking from experience: you feel like a right ****). The best way to go about reserving seats is when you turn up in a new city, make sure the very first thing you do is go to the help desk and reserve your seat for when you leave. That way you wont forget and then it's all sorted and you don't need to worry about it.

The only exception to this is night trains, which for the most part you have to reserve seats in advance. But if you do what I said above then it wont be a problem.

Quick Reply

Latest