The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M2 - 17th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alvosm
anyone knows how to do part c?

Differentiate the equation in part a - this will give you the gradient of the velocity at a point x. You're told it travels perpendicularly to the initial velocity so work out the gradient of the velocity at t=0. Then you just equate the two gradients together remembering that one is the normal to the other so set one of the gradients equal to the negative reciprocal of the other. Simplify and you got the answer. Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 161
Original post by target21859
Differentiate the equation in part a - this will give you the gradient of the velocity at a point x. You're told it travels perpendicularly to the initial velocity so work out the gradient of the velocity at t=0. Then you just equate the two gradients together remembering that one is the normal to the other so set one of the gradients equal to the negative reciprocal of the other. Simplify and you got the answer. Hope that helps :smile:

thank you so much!!! it helps a lot indeed :tongue: good luck for tomorrow!!
Original post by alvosm
thank you so much!!! it helps a lot indeed :tongue: good luck for tomorrow!!

No problem :smile: Good luck to you too.
do you need to put units down such ms^-2 or Nms to get the final accuracy mark?? (I always forget these)
In the statics questions if you do your own method and only half of it is on the markscheme but you get everything right do you still get full marks (cuz theres probably loads of methods to do it and they obviously cant list them all)
Can anyone explain to me jan 14 IAL question 5 pls
Screen Shot 2016-06-17 at 00.02.18.pngcan someone explain part b) (June 2015)
Original post by milogillot
Screen Shot 2016-06-17 at 00.02.18.pngcan someone explain part b) (June 2015)

i was stuck on it for ages, have a look at the model answers, you just have to draw a clear diagram, use geometry, then take moments
Original post by rm761
i was stuck on it for ages, have a look at the model answers, you just have to draw a clear diagram, use geometry, then take moments

ahhh yes it makes sense now, i thought about trying to find that diagonal distance but never went through with it.. cheers tho
How to do june 2015 question 6c
How should I deal with g and significant figures? I've only encountered one question so far that penalised for giving answers reached using g = 9.8 to more that 2 sf... I think it was a 2012 paper. The problem is that lots of questions since have allowed answers that use g = 9.8 to be given to 3 sf.
Original post by notrodash
How should I deal with g and significant figures? I've only encountered one question so far that penalised for giving answers reached using g = 9.8 to more that 2 sf... I think it was a 2012 paper. The problem is that lots of questions since have allowed answers that use g = 9.8 to be given to 3 sf.

I'm not 100% sure, but on the front of this year's M1 paper, it said to give answers to 2 or 3 sf.
I'm guessing it will be the same for M2...
However, if in doubt, I usually give my answers to 2 sf.
Hardest m2 paper?

Last one before the exam? Anyone?
Good luck everyone ☺️

Original post by Themathgeek
Hardest m2 paper?

Last one before the exam? Anyone?

Jan 2010 has really low grade boundaries, so I think that's what I'm gonna do tomorrow morning x
Are there any proofs that we could be asked to show?
Reply 175
Hi guys, could someone please explain to me when to use a negative value for 's' and when to use a positive value in the equation 's=ut+1/2at^2'.
Reply 176
Original post by somevirtualguy
Are there any proofs that we could be asked to show?

Nope. No formulae/concepts are proved until M3.
Good luck to all today.
Is the work energy principle final energy = initial energy +or- wprk done againt friction? And if so then do you plus when energy increases amd minus when decreases?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck everyone. Just to double check - is it an afternoon exam?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending