The Student Room Group

Research Skills for med?

xx
(edited 6 years ago)
Can you do an EPQ in your spare time with your old school or with some sort of college?

Never heard of them requiring research though, where did you hear that? I've only ever heard things like that over in North America, not so much UK.
It's really not that important assuming you've got an otherwise good application.
Original post by NeverGrowUp
I don't remember the exact source, I'll try finding it , but I remember reading that uni's such as UCL and oxbridge preferring students with that as well as everything else, hence why so many people with Nuffield Placements get a place. And that they like seeing that you've done an EPQ. Unfortunately, my school doesn't offer EPQ, and I don't think there's a way to do it externally as you apparently need a certain number of classroom hours.:frown:

I would say that that's true, but that's different to it being either common or expected.

It's pretty difficult to be involved in research pre-university yes. That's why not many people have it.
I can't think of any Universities that require research experience. I was lucky and got some experience in a lab prior to applying, so it may well have helped in my application (though do note I was ultimately rejected by Cambridge post-interview - so if it did help it is evidently not the be all or end all).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending