The Student Room Group

What to do when you hate your first graduate role....

Hi,

I have just recently graduated from uni with a First Class Hons in BSc Web Technologies. Just before finishing I secured a graduate role. It was a long hard process to secure it and they ended up putting me in a department that isn't exactly where I want to be (Tech support as opposed to development). I accepted and thought I'd give it ago against doubts telling me I wouldn't be happy. I have started part time one day a week and go full time in a few weeks. The first few days were OK didn't do much at all but thought I'd roll with it. Was left completely to my own devices and have no idea what to do. So I have just been teaching myself anything that may come in handy. Weeks have elapsed like this and there has been no direction. I am beginning to feel its not right at all for me as it isn't stimulating. They have said try and get involved where I can but without any training on their bespoke systems I can't deal with support tickets. There are inductions planned for when I go full time. On an everyday level the people are very nice and so is the environment however in my department no one speaks to each other and resort to instant messaging each other when they are in the same room.

I do regular freelance work and am doing lots part time on top of this. However it is not enough to sustain me. There is potential there for full time work. One example is today I went back to my old employer and did some work - Went straight in, they told me everything they needed (as its completely different now) and I got straight on no problem as they gave me enough direction to get started. I loved every minute of it! The bonus is they want me to keep coming back.

Now the question is what do I do? I hate my full time stuff and there isn't anything concrete enough from the part time to make me sure of moving on. Should I stick out my full time or take a chance on part time?

Thanks for any advice!
(edited 7 years ago)
Obviously use the current job to its full extent. Discuss with your supervisor training opportinities. You could also gently push about what you were led to believe the job description involved.
You cant do anything about environment as that is culture and runs deeper.
You can behave in your accepted way, as long as you dont tread on toes.

See how it pans out. Look for another job. If current one doesnt live up to expectations, then move when the right job comes along.
I think that before throwing in the towel you need to be assertive with your supervisor and tell them that you don't feel like you are being utilised and you would like more concrete goals and direction. You're faced with a challenge which can be overcome if you use some initiative so don't give up, just try a different approach :smile:
Original post by 999tigger
Obviously use the current job to its full extent. Discuss with your supervisor training opportinities. You could also gently push about what you were led to believe the job description involved.
You cant do anything about environment as that is culture and runs deeper.
You can behave in your accepted way, as long as you dont tread on toes.

See how it pans out. Look for another job. If current one doesnt live up to expectations, then move when the right job comes along.

Thanks thats solid advice - I'm going to see how this week pans out with the full time stuff on Tuesday and ask questions from my supervisor and fill the rest of the week with the other stuff. On Wednesday I am going to have a discussion about my options with the job I love and go to that armed with answers from the full time. If the outcome from that is they can give me a lot of work I'll be jumping ship

Original post by Hevachan
I think that before throwing in the towel you need to be assertive with your supervisor and tell them that you don't feel like you are being utilised and you would like more concrete goals and direction. You're faced with a challenge which can be overcome if you use some initiative so don't give up, just try a different approach :smile:

Thanks for this - I should clarify I have not been sat doing nothing. I have been teaching myself skills (in the absence of anything directed!) In the hope that they will start using me. If there is an option to move elsewhere I will be. The job offer didn't feel right and despite my gut instinct I took it.

Spent some more time where I love today and they want me every day next week (apart from when my commitments to a full time role apply) which is promising and is just re affirming my feelings

Cheers
It sounds like you know what you want so follow your instinct :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending