The Student Room Group

Labour MP Jo Cox killed in shooting incident in West Yorkshire

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DorianGrayism
Actually, not that hard to get hold of a gun in this country if you go through the licencing procedures. Oddly enough...."weirdo" isn't an exclusionary criteria.

He used a pistol I believe, which you can't get hold of, apparently it didn't look like a proper gun. Probably home made, I mean it's do able if you're an engineer or know a lot about that sort of stuff
His brother said he had OCD. So, not exactly a mental illness that would cause you to be a killer.

The Mail is saying he was recently released from "psychiatric care". Yes it's the Mail, but still...

So I don't think he "just" had OCD.
Reply 502
Actually, not that hard to get hold of a gun in this country if you go through the licencing procedures. Oddly enough...."weirdo" isn't an exclusionary criteria.

apparently it was home made
Original post by Grand High Witch
The Mail is saying he was recently released from "psychiatric care". Yes it's the Mail, but still...

So I don't think he "just" had OCD.

Well, it is unconfirmed. Psychiatric care could mean a whole range of things from outpatient follow-up to being sectioned.

The reality is that no one knows who this guy is because was a loner.
Original post by ftw93
apparently it was home made

Well, Daily Mail is saying a Sawn off shotgun.

Tbh, it is pretty hard to make a gun at home unless you have certain equipment.
Reply 505
Well, Daily Mail is saying a Sawn off shotgun.

Tbh, it is pretty hard to make a gun at home unless you have certain equipment.

Really isn't, you can make one out of a couple of metal pipes and a nail.

The one used in this killing is a pretty rough one, homemade. Documents for making it found to be ordered by the killer.
Original post by EuanF
Really isn't, you can make one out of a couple of metal pipes and a nail.

The one used in this killing is a pretty rough one, homemade. Documents for making it found to be ordered by the killer.

Ok. Well, that pretty much confirms he was a Right wing nutcase or at least a history of supporting it.

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2016/06/16/alleged-killer-british-mp-was-longtime-supporter-neo-nazi-national-alliance

Instructions on how to build a gun, with receipts from a Far Right Neo Nazi organisation.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 507
Ok. Well, that pretty much confirms he was a Right wing nutcase or at least a history of supporting it.

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2016/06/16/alleged-killer-british-mp-was-longtime-supporter-neo-nazi-national-alliance

Instructions on how to build a gun, with receipts from a Far Right Neo Nazi organisation.

>hatewatch
Reply 508

Guy was a nutter.

Though deeply unfortunate Mrs Cox's death is, it still has no wider implications on the EU referendum. It hasn't excused any of the things the EU does. Hopefully we can move past this and strive for the democracy she died for.
Original post by EuanF

Though deeply unfortunate Mrs Cox's death is, it still has no wider implications on the EU referendum. It hasn't excused any of the things the EU does. Hopefully we can move past this and strive for the democracy she died for.

You may say it shouldn't, but I am afraid it does in the same way that it would if it had been committed by an illegal Syrian immigrant.

We have been extremely lucky in the UK that attacks such as this have been virtually non-existent. People will question, are questioning, whether the campaign tactics of UKIP in particular, not just in this referendum campaign, have encouraged dark forces that have been well buried in this country.
Reply 510
Original post by nulli tertius
You may say it shouldn't, but I am afraid it does in the same way that it would if it had been committed by an illegal Syrian immigrant.

We have been extremely lucky in the UK that attacks such as this have been virtually non-existent. People will question, are questioning, whether the campaign tactics of UKIP in particular, not just in this referendum campaign, have encouraged dark forces that have been well buried in this country.

I think perhaps you really should explain how UKIP's campaigning is at all responsible for a nutcase murdering an MP
Original post by Fenice
I think perhaps you really should explain how UKIP's campaigning is at all responsible for a nutcase murdering an MP

Mainstream politicians have, at least since Powell's Rivers of Blood speech, been extremely coy about discussing race, immigration and cultural change. Mainstream politicians have made it clear that this has been to avoid stirring up racial hatred and hatred against immigrants. Farage has called for a more open debate on these issues and has proceeded to address these issues and has used emotive language in doing so. He has bridged the gap between the political far right, long seen as beyond the pale of political discourse and mainstream politicians.

So mainstream politicians have said don't poke the bear or it will attack. Farage has said that it is his right to poke the bear and it is desirable to poke the bear. He has poked the bear and the bear has attacked.

It will be a test of Farage's politically ability how he handles this. Pontius Pilate's answer will probably not be good enough for those who are not his committed fans.
Omg lol stop blaming right wing political parties none of them would incite murded.

Nearly everyone supports a political party, so every time a murder happens would you blame the party they support? No...
Original post by xJARSx
Omg lol stop blaming right wing political parties none of them would incite murded.

Nearly everyone supports a political party, so every time a murder happens would you blame the party they support? No...

Completely reasonably speaking, of course you are right. Right wingers had very little to do with this and it definitely isn't their fault.

However, people are not completely reasonable. The visceral, emotional reaction to what has happened is that Jo Cox's political enemies are somehow to blame for this, and I think that idea will influence how people act - and vote - even if those people don't explicitly believe in the idea or realise it.
It increasingly looks like the suspect had links to at least two far-right organisations, as The Independent and the IB Times report.

He may also have been mentally ill, but the two aren't mutually exclusive - rhetoric like that we've seen and heard in this EU referendum campaign can be a trigger; it can literally push someone to breaking point. The numerous peaceful rightwing and far-rightwing people, whilst have nothing directly to do with this attack need to take a hard look at how they've been conducting themselves and the toxic atmosphere that they've been creating.

As Alex Massie writes in the conservative magazine The Spectator:

The mask the pawky, gin o’clock, you know what I mean, mask didn’t slip because there was no mask at all. BREAKING POINT, it screamed above a queue of dusky-hued refugees waiting to cross a border. The message was not very subtle: Vote Leave, Britain, or be over-run by brown people. Take control. Take back our country. You know what I mean, don’t you: If you want a Turk or a Syrian for a neighbour, vote Remain. Simple. Common sense. Innit?

...When you encourage rage you cannot then feign surprise when people become enraged. You cannot turn around and say, ‘Mate, you weren’t supposed to take it so seriously. It’s just a game, just a ploy, a strategy for winning votes.’

When you shout BREAKING POINT over and over again, you don’t get to be surprised when someone breaks. When you present politics as a matter of life and death, as a question of national survival, don’t be surprised if someone takes you at your word. You didn’t make them do it, no, but you didn’t do much to stop it either.

Sometimes rhetoric has consequences. If you spend days, weeks, months, years telling people they are under threat, that their country has been stolen from them, that they have been betrayed and sold down the river, that their birthright has been pilfered, that their problem is they’re too slow to realise any of this is happening, that their problem is they’re not sufficiently mad as hell, then at some point, in some place, something or someone is going to snap. And then something terrible is going to happen.

We need to be vigilant. Right-wing extremist terrorism, in the United States, is a bigger threat than jihadi terrorism. and whilst I've never been able to conceive of nativist, nationalist hysteria gripping Britain as it has done the United States throughout its history, this referendum campaign has made me think twice.

Farage's poster is despicable, and mirrors that of Nazi propaganda. We have Brexit-supporting England fans shouting disgusting slogans and causing havoc with violence in France. And now we've potentially seen an MP who, as the article says, was the very antithesis of this kind of politics, killed for her political views. The rage against politicians has gone too far, as the numerous threats to numerous MPs demonstrates by itself.

Her husband was absolutely right: we need to confront the hatred on display in Britain today. And Jo Cox was absolutely right: we need to fight for a better world, and think about humanity as a whole; let's not be narrow, insular and have a "Britain first" mindset.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by viddy9
It increasingly looks like the suspect had links to at least two far-right organisations, as The Independent and the IB Times report.

He may also have been mentally ill, but the two aren't mutually exclusive - rhetoric like that we've seen and heard in this EU referendum campaign can be a trigger; it can literally push someone to breaking point. The numerous peaceful rightwing and far-rightwing people, whilst have nothing directly to do with this attack need to take a hard look at how they've been conducting themselves and the toxic atmosphere that they've been creating.

As Alex Massie writes in the conservative magazine The Spectator:

We need to be vigilant. Right-wing extremism, in the United States, is a bigger threat than jihadi terrorism. and whilst I've never been able to conceive of nativist, nationalist hysteria gripping Britain as it has done the United States throughout its history, this referendum campaign has made me think twice.

Farage's poster is despicable, and mirrors that of Nazi propaganda. We have Brexit-supporting England fans shouting disgusting slogans and causing havoc with violence in France. And now we've potentially seen an MP who, as the article says, was the very antithesis of this kind of politics, killed for her political views. The rage against politicians has gone too far, as the numerous threats to numerous MPs demonstrates by itself.

Her husband was absolutely right: we need to confront the hatred on display in Britain today. And Jo Cox was absolutely right: we need to fight for a better world, and think about humanity as a whole; let's not be narrow, insular and have a "Britain first" mindset.

Lefties create their own toxic atmosphere, calling anyone that doesn't agree with them a bigot or racist, flooding the labour market, ignoring mass rapes ect. Yeah it's already confronted by calling anyone that doesn't agree with them a fascist. I don't know how this man got a gun, we should ban guns!, but wait, we have a pistol ban, it's almost as if these criminals don't care about the law!!
Original post by Conservationofmass
Who gives a **** about her, she doesn't represent common people and is just a ****
She got straight out of university from Cambridge, then worked as an MP assistant, then became an MP(funny that, career politician) oh and is a nampy pampy that worked for charities.
So the ***** never had a proper ****ing job in her life, and then has the cheek to campaign to stay in the EU, protest against fisher men whose lives have been ****ed over by it, so she can feel good about herself, ahh supporting an institution and union that doesn't represent the working class. I couldn't give less of a rats ass about her. Don't see why people care. So she claimed to be working for the people, and then supported policies and a party which simply doesn't. I bet it comes out the bloke that murdered her asked for help of some form, and she said *******s to it, I'd bet money on it. You know what the pant wetting liberals are like.

Let's just add a little more of Alex Massie's blog

"Sad doesn’t begin to cover it. This is worse, much worse, than just sad. This is a day of infamy, a day in which we should all feel angry and ashamed. Because if you don’t feel a little ashamed if you don’t feel sick, right now, wherever you are reading this then something’s gone wrong with you somewhere."
Who gives a **** about her, she doesn't represent common people and is just a ****
She got straight out of university from Cambridge, then worked as an MP assistant, then became an MP(funny that, career politician) oh and is a nampy pampy that worked for charities.
So the ***** never had a proper ****ing job in her life, and then has the cheek to campaign to stay in the EU, protest against fisher men whose lives have been ****ed over by it, so she can feel good about herself, ahh supporting an institution and union that doesn't represent the working class. I couldn't give less of a rats ass about her. Don't see why people care. So she claimed to be working for the people, and then supported policies and a party which simply doesn't. I bet it comes out the bloke that murdered her asked for help of some form, and she said *******s to it, I'd bet money on it. You know what the pant wetting liberals are like.

Utterly disgusting comment, up there with the rightwing loons who think this was a false flag perpetrated by the Remain campaign. Your comment scares me, and just proves what I've said above: it's been drilled into you that this is life and death for the country, and so you make the kind of despicable comments that you've just made.

Lefties create their own toxic atmosphere, calling anyone that doesn't agree with them a bigot or racist, flooding the labour market, ignoring mass rapes ect. Yeah it's already confronted by calling anyone that doesn't agree with them a fascist. I don't know how this man got a gun, we should ban guns!, but wait, we have a pistol ban, it's almost as if these criminals don't care about the law!!

And the post you've just made isn't bigoted? You've just said that you don't care that someone was killed because she disagreed with you politically.

Sorry, I'm sick of people like you: you can't hide behind the "I'm not a bigot, I'm just expressing legitimate concerns" nonsense anymore. You're doing much more than that, and you know it. Trump goes a lot further than simply saying "I'm concerned about immigration". Farage goes a lot further than that. Brexit-supporting England fans causing havoc in France go a lot further than that.

Now, I happen to agree that calling all the peaceful people with these concerns racists and fascists is wrong (though some of them are racists and fascists) and also contributes to a toxic political atmosphere (even if I think that these concerns are utterly misguided given that immigration barely has any negative effect on the labour market for even low-skilled natives), but I'm afraid that the kind of disgusting campaigning going on by many of the Brexiteers has nothing to do with that - they would have done it with or without the so-called "provocation" from the Left.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by viddy9
Utterly disgusting comment, up there with the rightwing loons who think this was a false flag perpetrated by the Remain campaign. Your comment scares me, and just proves what I've said above: it's been drilled into you that this is life and death for the country, and so you make the kind of despicable comments that you've just made.

And the post you've just made isn't bigoted? You've just said that you don't care that someone was killed because she disagreed with you politically.

Sorry, I'm sick of people like you: you can't hide behind the "I'm not a bigot, I'm just expressing legitimate concerns" nonsense anymore. You're doing much more than that, and you know it.

Now, I happen to agree that calling the peaceful people with these concerns racists and fascists is wrong and also contributes to a toxic political atmosphere (even if I think that these concerns are utterly misguided given that immigration barely has any negative effect on the labour market for even low-skilled natives), but I'm afraid that the kind of disgusting campaigning going on by many of the Brexiteers has nothing to do with that - they would have done it with or without the so-called "provocation" from the Left.

I've been in favour of leaving the EU before the Referendum and I recognize my life will be better OUT, you're making some assertion which is false, I study economics for a start... I believe the referendum campaign has been very poorly done anyway, I research stuff myself and look at what's going around me rather than reading media pieces. No but people can't call me the bigot if they're themselves...
No I don't care at all, I only feel sorry for the children,she's a politician, there's no reason why I should care. My argument isn't that I am not a bigot, but rather left wingers complain about bigotry, and attempt to shut up any debate of things they don't like, with the word bigot, which is hypocritical as ****.(Not that I am saying I am a bigot).
Well I can tell you the labour market is very much effected, my father who's a carpenter, earned 600 pounds in the 1990's a week, he is lucky to earn that now.. Tradesmen are effected quite a lot, even though it's a skilled job. Most people that aren't are in the cozy financial sector or public sector pricks. Or mps....
Politicians are unpatriotic sacks of **** that sell this country economically and culturally down the river for personal gain, and most have never had a proper job and **** over the common people, so why would I care about them?.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by nulli tertius
Let's just add a little more of Alex Massie's blog

"Sad doesn’t begin to cover it. This is worse, much worse, than just sad. This is a day of infamy, a day in which we should all feel angry and ashamed. Because if you don’t feel a little ashamed if you don’t feel sick, right now, wherever you are reading this then something’s gone wrong with you somewhere."

People I don't know are murdered all the time, only reason it's news is because she's some politician. Why would I care about a politician who supports policies that negatively affect me, I'd be a moron to do that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending