The Student Room Group

Do A Level grades matter for Doctors?

Basically, i have an offer from a university for a Foundation Year Medicine course. The offer is BBC. I was wondering if, lets say i met the offer spot on and got BBC, would that affect my carreer in the future because most doctors will have achieved AAA+. Like do employers care about a level grades even after you get a medical degree thats a good class like 1st or 2.1? I want to do my foundation years in London and i know how competitive it is and i was wondering if getting low A Level grades will affect my career in any way.

Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mikes300
Basically, i have an offer from a university for a Foundation Year Medicine course. The offer is BBC. I was wondering if, lets say i met the offer spot on and got BBC, would that affect my carreer in the future because most doctors will have achieved AAA+. Like do employers care about a level grades even after you get a medical degree thats a good class like 1st or 2.1? I want to do my foundation years in London and i know how competitive it is and i was wondering if getting low A Level grades will affect my career in any way.

Thanks.

Nobody in medicine cares about what a levels you achieved. A levels are only necessary to get you in to medicine.

P.s. medicine degrees aren't given classifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by ForestCat
Nobody in medicine cares about what a levels you achieved. A levels are only necessary to get you in to medicine.

P.s. medicine degrees aren't given classifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, i guess ive been stressing myself out for no reason.. Thanks for your response :smile:.
Reply 3
Nope. Past the first week of medical school, A-levels aren't mentioned again (unless you have an old-fashioned Consultant berating you for not taking A-level Latin or physics due to your lack of knowledge).
A-level grades only really came up during first year when people are desperately seeking ice-breakers. Other than that it doesn't matter other than the odd person bragging about A*s etc.

tldr - they matter only for getting in.
Is the offer from Southampton med school? If it is how was the interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mikes300

Thanks.

No I don't think it would have any impact at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending