The Student Room Group

In need of advice - Failed AS and Uni offers

Hi,

I'm currently in year 12 and studying Biology, Maths, Psychology and EPQ. The only AS I've sat this year has been maths, due to my other subjects being two year courses. I recently took the last module for maths, and it went horribly; the paper itself wasn't difficult but I ended up stressing myself out too much, therefore feeling incredibly sick and panicky during the exam (my head went fuzzy and I couldn't think, let alone solve calculations) and so I therefore only answered 1 full question out of 6 (I wouldn't say that it was a full-blown panic attack, but it was somewhat along those lines). My other two maths modules didn't go so well either, but for other reasons, however I was hoping to bring up the grade with this module as it's one I find easiest. Therefore, I'm expecting to get a U in my maths AS Level. I'm not too concerned about my maths A Level grade overall, as my school will allow me to carry it on and retake the module next year due to them being aware that I am usually a (reasonably) intelligent student and do much better in the exams. However, I'm worrying so much as uni's are going to see that AS grade, and probably won't even give me an offer. My other subjects are going well and I've been told that they're likely to predict me A's. How am I going to get an offer from a Russell group Uni with this maths AS grade? What can I do? Thank you to anyone that replies, it really really would help.

(I'm looking to study Biological sciences if that helps, preferably at York)

:frown:

Scroll to see replies

You're resitting it. Don't get a U next time.

Not seeing the problem?
Reply 2
Original post by Elivercury
You're resitting it. Don't get a U next time.

Not seeing the problem?

I'm resitting it next year though, which will be after I apply for uni and after uni's give me offers (so they're going to give me offers based on this AS grade)
Original post by Ebonites
I'm resitting it next year though, which will be after I apply for uni and after uni's give me offers (so they're going to give me offers based on this AS grade)

No they'll give you offers based on your predicted grades.

I'm not sure about the legality of this... but can't you put your math grade down as pending since you're not going to cash in this U and you're retaking anyway? So technically, your grade can be seen as a pending grade.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ

But surely they'll base a lot of it on AS results too?
Reply 6
Original post by jackien1
I'm not sure about the legality of this... but can't you put your math grade down as pending since you're not going to cash in this U and you're retaking anyway? So technically, your grade can be seen as a pending grade.

That would be amazing if I could do that, although we had a UCAS talk the other day and they made it reeeeeeally clear that we absolutely 100% had to write down grades that we've achieved :/
Original post by jackien1

That would be amazing if I could do that, although we had a UCAS talk the other day and they made it reeeeeeally clear that we absolutely 100% had to write down grades that we've achieved :/

All external exams taken must be declared on the Ucas form and not to do so is fraudulent. The Ucas declaration is very clear on the subject:
http://help.ucas.com/contract12/index.html
Reply 8
Hi,

I'm currently in year 12 and studying Biology, Maths, Psychology and EPQ. The only AS I've sat this year has been maths, due to my other subjects being two year courses. I recently took the last module for maths, and it went horribly; the paper itself wasn't difficult but I ended up stressing myself out too much, therefore feeling incredibly sick and panicky during the exam (my head went fuzzy and I couldn't think, let alone solve calculations) and so I therefore only answered 1 full question out of 6 (I wouldn't say that it was a full-blown panic attack, but it was somewhat along those lines). My other two maths modules didn't go so well either, but for other reasons, however I was hoping to bring up the grade with this module as it's one I find easiest. Therefore, I'm expecting to get a U in my maths AS Level. I'm not too concerned about my maths A Level grade overall, as my school will allow me to carry it on and retake the module next year due to them being aware that I am usually a (reasonably) intelligent student and do much better in the exams. However, I'm worrying so much as uni's are going to see that AS grade, and probably won't even give me an offer. My other subjects are going well and I've been told that they're likely to predict me A's. How am I going to get an offer from a Russell group Uni with this maths AS grade? What can I do? Thank you to anyone that replies, it really really would help.

(I'm looking to study Biological sciences if that helps, preferably at York)

:frown:

Hmm your predictions should be fine if it was just a bad day.

Having exams in only one subject and getting a U might raise some questions both from your school and by admissions tutors. Try not to dwell on it though, whatever happens happens.

You could drop maths after results day?
Reply 9
Original post by jamestg
Hmm your predictions should be fine if it was just a bad day.

Having exams in only one subject and getting a U might raise some questions both from your school and by admissions tutors. Try not to dwell on it though, whatever happens happens.

You could drop maths after results day?

I hope so, it just annoys me that the module i freaked out in was the one I always do incredibly well in (Except for this case of course). What do you think admissions tutors will think (considering that they know I usually do better and achieved an A in my mock)?
I hope so, it just annoys me that the module i freaked out in was the one I always do incredibly well in (Except for this case of course). What do you think admissions tutors will think (considering that they know I usually do better and achieved an A in my mock)?

At a RG, I think they'd be a little concerned as most other applicants would have more than 3 exams and would come out with better results. HOWEVER don't give up hope! You might have not have done as badly as you think, and the same goes for C1 and C2.

If your results are different to what was expected, I'm sure your school will reflect that in the predictions and references!
Reply 11
Original post by jamestg
At a RG, I think they'd be a little concerned as most other applicants would have more than 3 exams and would come out with better results. HOWEVER don't give up hope! You might have not have done as badly as you think, and the same goes for C1 and C2.

If your results are different to what was expected, I'm sure your school will reflect that in the predictions and references!

Is there no chance then of me receiving an offer, even if my predicted grades and references are of high standard? :frown:

Also, do you reckon it would be worthwhile thinking of taking a gap year after Year 13? That way I could retake the module next year along with my other A Levels, and then apply for Uni during my gap year with hopefully good results.
Is there no chance then of me receiving an offer, even if my predicted grades and references are of high standard? :frown:

Also, do you reckon it would be worthwhile thinking of taking a gap year after Year 13? That way I could retake the module next year along with my other A Levels, and then apply for Uni during my gap year with hopefully good results.

I still think there's a decent chance! I'm sure you've done much better than you think, and your teachers (if they know you are capable) will predict you with the grade you wanted!

Yeah you could do that, but it's probably best to wait so you don't get fixated on something that may not need to happen!
Reply 13
Original post by jamestg
I still think there's a decent chance! I'm sure you've done much better than you think, and your teachers (if they know you are capable) will predict you with the grade you wanted!

Yeah you could do that, but it's probably best to wait so you don't get fixated on something that may not need to happen!

Thank you for helping, it really means a lot :smile: I really really hope so, York has been my dream uni for so long and it's heartbreaking thinking that I won't be able to receive an offer due to stupid panicking.
Reply 14
I found my self in the exact same situation as you last yearwhen I picked my uni's except worse, way worse. Firstly I panic in exams somuch so that I feel as though i'm in year 3 again writing a comprehension and Ido Level English Lit so you kinda need to know quite bit of sophisticatedlanguage however, as I approach the doors every starts to fade away and all Ican see is tables, chairs and blank spaces. Point being I know where yourcoming from. so when I was applying on UCAS, my head of year was like whyare you filling in an E grade, and I was like because that's what I got, butlong story short, he said I don't need to because i'm resetting next year andthat won't count towards anything so I just left it as pending. oh yeah and I switched to BTEC Diploma and kept LevelEnglish Lit so my whole UCAS said ...PENDING... so, of course getting goodgrades in AS helps uni's identify suitable candidates, most people are ONLYtaking exams at the end of yr13 so it's impossible to get any grade to put downuntil you've sat your exams next year and have gotten your results back. Sothey still need something to go by right, well yass they look at your predictedgrades with you say are on the 'A' mark (really good) however, being good atsomething puts you in a long list with others and having an 'A' gives you acompetitive advantage over others with a lower grades. So by now, you'reprobably sick and tired of hearing teachers nag about writing your PERSONALSTATEMENT?

I can firmly say that I am lazy like I leave most thingstill last minute, I sent my personal statement off the week of the declinewhilst people in my year had already received offers form their uni's. But,because I am very passionate about my course, writing my personal statementfelt so natural for me and I done it in a couple hours NO RE-DRAFTING (IReccommend you do because I just have a knack for doing things once but stillgetting it right). Basically i'm rambling but, SERIOUSLY, your PERSONALstatement above all needs to stand out, it needs to be an embodiment of yourpassion or interest in the course, like you have to be able to communicate withthe HUMAN BEING reading it why you are DIFFERENT from the rest. So my advise is put pending but double check with a varietyof people especially people younger than your teacher (still ask your teacher)as they will probably remember more about the process.

My personal statement pretty much saved me because from it, I got accepted into 4 out of the 5 uni'sand one of those offers was an unconditional which hell yeah I took. They evenquoted me on what they liked about it because they saw potential in myaspirations, my future and me... So the real question remains above your pendinggrades, How could I be an asset to them in the long run??
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PQ

Surely this isn't true if you actually have done an AS for the subject? As maths is still linear this year.
Reply 16
Original post by 0xFFFFail
Surely this isn't true if you actually have done an AS for the subject? As maths is still linear this year.

Maths isn't linear it's modular.

But it doesn't matter anyway. The universities will see your AS results (if you sat them) AND your predictions. It's up to your school to work out your predictions, they will, of course base it on your AS or mocks, but also should factor in more recent progress in Y13, up until they write your reference.
Original post by 0xFFFFail

For 2017 entry there will be a substantial number of applicants without AS results. For fairness that means universities are likely to place a higher weighting on predictions than on AS results from schools where they're still taken. Unless a prediction is wildly at odd with AS results with no good explanation from the reference then an iffy AS is unlikely to matter.

Worth noting that you can enter clearing if your grades are better than expected to try and go to a better university. Not necessarily an ideal route, but I'd try this before a gap year.
Original post by Elivercury
Worth noting that you can enter clearing if your grades are better than expected to try and go to a better university. Not necessarily an ideal route, but I'd try this before a gap year.

The route you're talking about is called Adjustment and not clearing and lasts for only 5 days (including weekends). Applicants are only eligible if they meet and exceed the conditions of their firm offer (which may or may not reflect their predictions).

It's advertised as a lower risk option than clearing but given the very tight timescales, lack of good information, lack of understanding in the sector about how it works and general panic levels it can often end up much riskier as an option. Applicants have ended up placed at a university in adjustment against their wishes because the university misunderstood their request on the phone. In that case it's possible to lose accommodation at the original firm choice and the opportunity for another place through adjustment while going through a whole bunch of hassle sorting out the error.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending