The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Loan - UK University, Campus Abroad

I was wondering if you can apply for the new postgraduate loan to study a masters at a UK university but based at one of the satellite campuses abroad?

For example Liverpool University have a campus in China and my previous university of Aberystwyth have a campus in Mauritius and Middlesex Uni have campuses in Mauritius and Malta where the location benefits the course content.

On the Government website it says:
"Your course must:
be provided by a university or college in the UK"

When studying one of these courses you are still registered with the UK university who are the course providers and gain a degree awarded by the UK university. I believe some can include study across both the UK and satellite campuses and are coordinated from the UK. Also in some of these cases it is a UK university, coordinated from the UK and in a commonwealth country.
Original post by nwall42
I was wondering if you can apply for the new postgraduate loan to study a masters at a UK university but based at one of the satellite campuses abroad?

For example Liverpool University have a campus in China and my previous university of Aberystwyth have a campus in Mauritius and Middlesex Uni have campuses in Mauritius and Malta where the location benefits the course content.

On the Government website it says:
"Your course must:
be provided by a university or college in the UK"

When studying one of these courses you are still registered with the UK university who are the course providers and gain a degree awarded by the UK university. I believe some can include study across both the UK and satellite campuses and are coordinated from the UK. Also in some of these cases it is a UK university, coordinated from the UK and in a commonwealth country.

Contact the universities concerned and ask whether the courses will be eligible - they're the only people who can comment with authority on whether the courses meet the SFE rules.
Reply 2
I've sent a few emails so I'll update when I find a definitive answer.

I'm going to assume they will not allow it - although it does make sense if it's a UK student studying at a UK university on a course designed within our educational system and there are very few alternative sources of funding. I don't expect that to improve with leaving the EU either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending