The Student Room Group

The Life of Leviathan – Depression, Bullying, Fatigue and Other Obstacles

Scroll to see replies

@Leviathan1741 very interesting as usual :yep:
I'm sorry for what happened between your parents :frown: it must be hard to talk about it, thank you for sharing :hugs:
2 The Progression of his Paranoia

Good evening everyone! I hope you’re all doing well!

This is the second part of the story of my father’s mental illness. It carries on from the last post, where he moved out and went to live with my grandfather. It’s more about what happened next and how my family was affected, and also shows just how bad my father’s paranoia had become.

Things spiralled out of control after my father moved out. My mother was an emotional wreck, and my father’s paranoia was getting worse every day, partly because he refused to take his medication. People were ringing up constantly asking how we were and what we were going to do, and everything just seemed to be falling apart. After a while, my father’s paranoia had worsened so much that he was actually threatened with going to prison, and also with going to a secure mental hospital, so that he could be kept an eye on properly.

Now, I can’t remember exactly when this happened, but it certainly took us all by surprise. Back when my father was seeing a doctor for his thyroid, he asked my mother to go with him to one of his appointments. However, he was hiding an unpleasant secret. Prior to the appointment, he had gone out and bought a digital voice recorder, so that he could record their conversation with the doctor. He hid the Dictaphone under his jacket, and he would have gotten away with it had it not beeped shortly before they were going to leave the doctor’s office. Understandably, this upset my mother greatly, and it took a long time for her to regain even a small amount of trust in him.

While all of this was going on, my mother made efforts to speak to several mental health groups who claimed they helped families through difficult times. Sadly though, none of them kept that promise and we received no help from any of them; the only real consolation my mother got was from me. I talked to her regularly about what had happened and I repeatedly told her that everything would turn out okay in the end. She was amazed at how much I knew, because she hadn’t really talked to me about what had happened in that much detail. I think what really helped her to cope was the fact that I was coping relatively well. If I could cope, then she could cope too.

Eventually, my father’s paranoia and depression seemed to subside and he moved back in with us. At first he continued to be dishonest and lie about things, and my mother still got angry with him now and then. After a while though, all of these things stopped and we finally thought he was getting better, but we were wrong.

Thanks for reading, as always! :h:

Spoiler

@Leviathan1741 that Cliff tho :eek:
Very cute of you to help your mother go through it :yep:
Looking forward to read the next post :h:
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
@Leviathan1741 that Cliff tho :eek:
Very cute of you to help your mother go through it :yep:
Looking forward to read the next post :h:

Haha, I wanted to make it a bit more interesting! :tongue:

Thank you! :h:
No doubt you're a good writer
Original post by Pablo Picasso
No doubt you're a good writer

Thank you! :h:
Damn that's a cliffhanger and a half!!
This is another very well written post!
Very interesting to read!
I'm so sorry to hear about what happened with your dad and I hope he's ok at the moment!
It's a very intriguing story (I love that word now haha)!
I'm glad he remained free because prison sounds like a hell hole!

But a great read as always!
:hugs:
I can't believe I missed this blog! Can you tag me in @Leviathan1741 for the next update? :biggrin:
Original post by Blondie987
I can't believe I missed this blog! Can you tag me in @Leviathan1741 for the next update? :biggrin:

Yes of course! Thank you for taking the time to read my posts :h:
Original post by FireFreezer77
Damn that's a cliffhanger and a half!!
This is another very well written post!
Very interesting to read!
I'm so sorry to hear about what happened with your dad and I hope he's ok at the moment!
It's a very intriguing story (I love that word now haha)!
I'm glad he remained free because prison sounds like a hell hole!

But a great read as always!
:hugs:

Haha, I wanted to make things a tad more interesting!
Thank you! He's okay at the moment as far as I know, I'm going to be seeing him next week so I can find out how he is then.

The next chapter will be up on Monday (my upload day, I've decided!) :h:
Original post by Leviathan1741
Haha, I wanted to make things a tad more interesting!
Thank you! He's okay at the moment as far as I know, I'm going to be seeing him next week so I can find out how he is then.

The next chapter will be up on Monday (my upload day, I've decided!) :h:

You sure have done! Im wanting to know what happened next now!
No worries! Ah im glad to hear that!
Excellent! Let me know how he is will you?

Excellent! (Its good to stick to a certain day!) :biggrin:
You sure have done! Im wanting to know what happened next now!
No worries! Ah im glad to hear that!
Excellent! Let me know how he is will you?

Excellent! (Its good to stick to a certain day!) :biggrin:

Well, you will have to wait until Monday to find out :wink:

I will! :h:
Well, you will have to wait until Monday to find out :wink:

I will! :h:

Can i not have a little teaser :wink:

Thankyou!!! :biggrin:
Can i not have a little teaser :wink:

Thankyou!!! :biggrin:

Well, it's not very cheerful! As you may have guessed already!
Well, it's not very cheerful! As you may have guessed already!

Yeah thats true. Im just curious to know what happened tbh!
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah thats true. Im just curious to know what happened tbh!

Only 2 days to wait now! :tongue:
3 The Second Attempt

Hi all, I hope you’re well!

This post is the third part of my series concerning my father’s mental illness. I’d just like to say that this post does contain references to suicide. I don’t wish to upset anyone, but at the same time I want to keep in as much detail as I can, to get the full extent of his illness across. I hope you guys understand, I'm, sure you will - you've all been lovely and supportive so far!

In February 2013, another incident occurred which shocked us all. My father had lost his driving license due to his mental illness, and therefore had to stay at home, walk to places or get a lift from my mother. My father had been at home by himself (my mother was at work and I was in college), taking his tablets for his depression as he usually did. But this time, he took far more tablets than he should. It was a suicide attempt; he had been more depressed than ever at the time of the overdose. He was immediately taken to hospital in an ambulance and kept there overnight.

The next day, my mother visited the hospital to see how he was. He had fallen in the night and was still a bit dazed from his overdose the day before. She left the hospital after they promised to ring her later on to let her know if he could return home.

Later on that day, the hospital rang to say that my father said he felt well enough to come home. My mother was shocked and said that she didn’t think that that was a good idea. The hospital told her that he was starting to become distressed by being in the hospital and that they had nowhere for him to stay, as his room was needed by another patient. My mother then rang my father’s brother and sister and asked them to visit him in hospital. After some further negotiation, my father’s sister brought him home after he had been given a sedative.

That overdose incident finally seemed to knock some sense into the hospital mental health team, who promptly agreed to visit us twice a day and make sure that my father was taking his medicine and doing well. This time, they kept their promise and arrived at approximately 9.30am and 6.30pm every day for the first few weeks. After they were confident that he was getting on okay, they reduced their visits to once a day, every few days.

I later discovered that that had actually been my father’s second suicide attempt. He had made an attempt prior to that, a few days before my 13th birthday. My mother said that she didn’t want me to be upset, so she hadn’t told me about it.

After a while, my father stopped taking his medicine yet again, and the doctors gave him 3 options: 1) he could keep taking his medicine like he’s supposed to, 2) he could have an injection (meaning he would have to have blood tests every week), or 3) he could be referred to a secure hospital. My mother also mentioned the possibility of divorce.

As always, thank you all so much for continuing to read my blog! I really appreciate all of your support! :hugs:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
@Leviathan1741
I'm so sorry to hear about what you and your family have been through!
It's really amazing how mental illnesses can really change people's lives!
I'm glad that he's still here today and I hope that something can be done to solve his problems!
I'm also happy to hear that the Mental Health people decided to listen and take action! They finally realized that it was no minor thing!
I hope everything will improve for him soon!
Great read as always! :hugs:
@Leviathan1741
I'm so sorry to hear about what you and your family have been through!
It's really amazing how mental illnesses can really change people's lives!
I'm glad that he's still here today and I hope that something can be done to solve his problems!
I'm also happy to hear that the Mental Health people decided to listen and take action! They finally realized that it was no minor thing!
I hope everything will improve for him soon!
Great read as always! :hugs:

It really is! Like I said in the first chapter, it doesn't take much for something seemingly innocent to turn sinister, especially where mental illness is concerned!

There's still a lot more to talk about though, the story is nowhere near over!

Thank you! :jumphug:
It really is! Like I said in the first chapter, it doesn't take much for something seemingly innocent to turn sinister, especially where mental illness is concerned!

There's still a lot more to talk about though, the story is nowhere near over!

Thank you! :jumphug:

Indeed, that's very true! I can relate to that!
It can just spiral out of control one day out of no where!

I look forward to reading the further instalments in your mini series!
It's very interesting to hear! And very brave of you to open up!

No worries :jumphug:

Quick Reply

Latest