The Student Room Group

COMP3 - JUN 2016 Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Anyone have any predictions for what topics will be questioned more in this paper?
Reply 21
Original post by Adamp123
Anyone have any predictions for what topics will be questioned more in this paper?

This would be much appreciated. Anyone cross referenced with past papers and got any ideas of the less previously examined topics that are likely to come up this year?
Reply 22
Got a mid B last year but am resitting COMP1 & COMP2. COMP1 went quite well but haven't revised for COMP2 yet this year:afraid:. Got 70/75 for COMP4 and hoping for an A* overall. Not sure if I should not bother doing COMP2 and just focus on COMP3 as it is worth more.
Reply 23
Original post by raraman
This would be much appreciated. Anyone cross referenced with past papers and got any ideas of the less previously examined topics that are likely to come up this year?

Most papers contain a LONG turing machine question. They appear on 4-5/6 past papers! :wink:
Reply 24
hi everyone, im also doing comp3 this year (as well as retaking comp2) and i would seriously recommend the wikibooks link thats already been posted, it's really helpful and most textbooks either contain too much or too little in my experience, so this is perfect
things ive noticed they do a lot: long turing machine qs as previously mentioned, asking the difference between intractable and computable, explaining what stuff written in backus-naur means, the quality of written communication question is likely to be on networking or databases because its hard to come up with long questions for the other topics
i havent seen many questions regarding reverse polish notation iirc, perhaps that'll come up? similar thing with encryption, i feel like that might also come up.
Guys to get an A* overall in Computing do you need to average 90% across COMP3 and COMP4? (As well as 320 points)
Original post by the_chosen_one97
Guys to get an A* overall in Computing do you need to average 90% across COMP3 and COMP4? (As well as 320 points)

You need to get A overall and get 90% in A2 so for instance you can get 85% in COMP3 and 95% in COMP4 to achieve an A*
(edited 7 years ago)
Ok cheers - think I've got 65 raw out of 75 in COMP4 so I guess an A* is no longer possible unless I do insanely well on COMP3 right?
Reply 28
Original post by the_chosen_one97
Ok cheers - think I've got 65 raw out of 75 in COMP4 so I guess an A* is no longer possible unless I do insanely well on COMP3 right?

Get a total of 360 UMS and its an A*. You don't have to have 90% in COMP3 and COMP4. That rule only applies with mathematics (C3 and C4) I believe.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Filipo
Get a total of 320 UMS and its an A*. You don't have to have 90% in COMP3 and COMP4. That rule only applies with mathematics (C3 and C4) I believe.
GCE Advanced subject award (Excluding 6361 Mathematics and 6371 Further Mathematics)Candidates gain A* if they both:

1 have enough uniform marks (UMS) in total to gain grade A

2 achieve 90% or more on the uniform marks subtotal of their A2 units.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/admin/special_pdf/A-QUICK-GUIDE-TO-GCE-A-STAR-GRADES.PDF
Reply 30
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anybody had zigzag education's topic based questions for COMP3? I've run out of past-papers and need some more questions to do!

Cheers!
Just to remind everyone that the text book teaches you about the IEEE standard and the Minifloat format which is not on the specification - so you don't need to know about this. You only need to know the two's complement method ofrepresenting floating numbers. :smile:
Does anyone have the June 2012 COMP3 paper, please?
Original post by thelion786
Does anyone have the June 2012 COMP3 paper, please?

Yes please, I need that too
Original post by Adamp123
Yes please, I need that too

Turns out I should've checked the first page. Look on there and you'll find it!

How confident is everyone for this paper, and anyone have any tips? I got an A last year but re-sat COMP2 because I got a very low A. Teacher marked my project to about 69/75 which is borderline A*, but I'm worried COMP3 may pull some very random questions :s-smilie:
Which algorithm's pseudo code do you need to be able to write down for the exam?
Original post by DodaWilliams
Which algorithm's pseudo code do you need to be able to write down for the exam?

For Stacks
-POP
-PUSH

For Priority Queues
-Adding data
-deleting data

For circular Queues
-Adding data
-deleting data

For Linked Lists
-Adding data
-deleting data

Bubble Sort
Insertion Sort
Binary Search

Learn how to traverse a Tree with Breadth First Traversal and Depth First Traversal (DON'T NEED TO MEMORISE)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by aelahi23
For Stacks
-POP
-PUSH

For Priority Queues
-Adding data
-deleting data

For circular Queues
-Adding data
-deleting data

For Linked Lists
-Adding data
-deleting data

Bubble Sort
Insertion Sort
Binary Search

Learn how to traverse a Tree with Breadth First Traversal and Depth First Traversal (DON'T NEED TO MEMORISE)

Where is the best place to find these algorithms? Got any links? :wink:
Anyone got any predictions on what the long 7 mark question could be - simulation maybe? (as that has rarely come up)
Original post by aelahi23
For Stacks
-POP
-PUSH

For Priority Queues
-Adding data
-deleting data

For circular Queues
-Adding data
-deleting data

For Linked Lists
-Adding data
-deleting data

Bubble Sort
Insertion Sort
Binary Search

We seriously need to know how to write all of these down? I thought we just had to recognise them when they ask what they are. And be able to trace through them.

Quick Reply