The Student Room Group

OCR Twenty First Century Science Physics P1-7 *Official Thread 2016*

Scroll to see replies

In fact guys, since you can't attach files over PM, I'm gonna post pictures (it's all I've got, sorry) of the 2015 mark scheme here :smile:
MY PREDICTIONS FOR 6 MARKERS (After looking at the last 4 years of papers)
P4: How forces impact motion, accelleration/ kinetic energy and GPE
P5: Transformers, Electromagnetic induction, Motor effect
P6: Types of radiation/ effects, Rutherford, nuclear power and waste

Do any of you want the subjects from the last 4 years of papers? I've made note of them and am happy to share:smile:
Original post by rebebeb
MY PREDICTIONS FOR 6 MARKERS (After looking at the last 4 years of papers)
P4: How forces impact motion, accelleration/ kinetic energy and GPE
P5: Transformers, Electromagnetic induction, Motor effect
P6: Types of radiation/ effects, Rutherford, nuclear power and waste

Do any of you want the subjects from the last 4 years of papers? I've made note of them and am happy to share:smile:

Yes please :smile:
Also, what do you mean by 'how forces impact motion :wink:
And is Rutherford the Gold Scattering Experiment, could you expand on this?

Only if you don't mind :colondollar:
Reply 184
Original post by rebebeb

Yes please :smile:
Reply 185
Original post by realsmilee

And is Rutherford the Gold Scattering Experiment, could you expand on this?

Before the experiment people thought that an atom was like a 'plum pudding' - positive charges floating in a sea of negative. The experiment fired alpha particles at gold foil, and they found that the vast majority of alpha particles passed straight through the atoms, and a few were deflected or bounced back.

This proved that the positive charges in an atom were in the middle, and we're contained in a very small nucleus, as alpha particles are positively charged, so due to electrostatic repulsion, some particles bounced back or were deflected. But the fact that most passed straight through also proved that most of the atom was empty space.

Because of this experiment, the ' plum pudding atom' idea was ditched, and now the idea is of the 'nuclear atom'

Hope that helps
Original post by NiamhM1801

Spoiler

June 2015 mark scheme everyone

Thank you
Original post by NiamhM1801

Spoiler

June 2015 mark scheme everyone

Omd you literally missed the only question i really needed. The 6 mark on page 5. Do you have it at all? please please please
Original post by akmoo
Anyone know how to this?

This car can apply amaximum braking force of 10,000N. If thecar’s mass is 1000Kg how far is its stopping distance when it is travelling ata speed of 15m/s (roughly 30ph) and 30m/s (roughly 60mph)?

Momentum = mass x velocity
15000kgm/s = 1000 x 15
change in momentum = RF x time
15000 = 10000 x T
T=15 secs
so for speed at 15m/s:
15 x 15 = 225 m

I'm not sure about this I'm not very good at calculation questions :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Teacher pulled through. https://drive.google.com/a/preston-manor.com/file/d/0B6dVJdZdxvLrUVFBUTFFYTk0WWc/view?ts=5762e5d9

Full list of 2015 markscheme right there ^. If you need P7, post here.
Original post by Ben.M
Before the experiment people thought that an atom was like a 'plum pudding' - positive charges floating in a sea of negative. The experiment fired alpha particles at gold foil, and they found that the vast majority of alpha particles passed straight through the atoms, and a few were deflected or bounced back.

This proved that the positive charges in an atom were in the middle, and we're contained in a very small nucleus, as alpha particles are positively charged, so due to electrostatic repulsion, some particles bounced back or were deflected. But the fact that most passed straight through also proved that most of the atom was empty space.

Because of this experiment, the ' plum pudding atom' idea was ditched, and now the idea is of the 'nuclear atom'

Hope that helps

Thanks it did! :biggrin:
Hahaha, I remember the plum pudding and that's all :blush:
Original post by Aliondo
Omd you literally missed the only question i really needed. The 6 mark on page 5. Do you have it at all? please please please

Did I really? Oh gosh I'm so sorry.
Do you still need it?
Reply 192
Thanks it did! :biggrin:
Hahaha, I remember the plum pudding and that's all :blush:

I'm glad it helped someone! It's a good name for it it think!
What did people put for the circuit page, the P5 six marker, the highest instantaneous speed from the DT graph, the lines for the tracers for beta and gamma, and speed of the 3.2kg falling shelf and which tracer should be used with a half life of one hour??
My answers for the P456 (the ones I can remember for the short answers anyway):
22N
11J
5m/s (pretty sure is wrong)
Iron core
Eve
Ben
5 Ohms
1.5V
3V
0.2A
45,000,000,000 J
Magnetic induction
The Wavey looking voltage thing
C, for the half-life, as gamma less ionising in the body
Something about perceived risk is over exaggerated by the calculated risk
Alpha is not strong enough to go through
Beta- second last box
Gamma- last box
That’s all I remember, but itd be nice to compare what you guys got, to see how badly I actually did lol
Unofficial mark scheme!! :smile:
Please contribute as it's pretty bare at the moment

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=65863825&highlight=
Original post by kish9600
My answers for the P456 (the ones I can remember for the short answers anyway):
22N
11J
5m/s (pretty sure is wrong)
Iron core
Eve
Ben
5 Ohms
1.5V
3V
0.2A
45,000,000,000 J
Magnetic induction
The Wavey looking voltage thing
C, for the half-life, as gamma less ionising in the body
Something about perceived risk is over exaggerated by the calculated risk
Alpha is not strong enough to go through
Beta- second last box
Gamma- last box
That’s all I remember, but itd be nice to compare what you guys got, to see how badly I actually did lol

I got mostly the same apart from the current 0.2A current as i thought current wad the same everywhere in series so i put 0.4A? I didnt have a CLUE for the beta gamma boxes.
For the speed one I used ke=gpe, worked out gpe with the given height and weight, rearranged ke formula to get ke is root 2 x ke divided by mass which is root 30 and 5.4777 i think.
Can you remember the P5 6 marker? I talked about current being shared across the branches etc. Then repeating the test using more values, best estimate etc.
How many marks was the lines for beta and gamma?

I'm so annoyed I read it as blocked instead of passed through..

That was such an easy question and I messed up on it ughhhh
How many marks was the lines for beta and gamma?

I'm so annoyed I read it as blocked instead of passed through..

That was such an easy question and I messed up on it ughhhh

2, what did you put?
Original post by bekahhiggins
I got mostly the same apart from the current 0.2A current as i thought current wad the same everywhere in series so i put 0.4A? I didnt have a CLUE for the beta gamma boxes.
For the speed one I used ke=gpe, worked out gpe with the given height and weight, rearranged ke formula to get ke is root 2 x ke divided by mass which is root 30 and 5.4777 i think.
Can you remember the P5 6 marker? I talked about current being shared across the branches etc. Then repeating the test using more values, best estimate etc.

Wasn't it to do with parallel circuits, the correlation being when more wires are added, there's less resistance. because of the branching and its parallel, meaning current is shared and ultimately therefore a lower resistance. I said to improve it, compare with a series circuit, where resistance will be unchanged by the number of wires (although that sounds wrong in hindsight)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending