The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1620
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Being honest if you found a paper tough - it was a tough paper. I'd bet anything that you've done much better that 2 fulls and 4 partials in STEP II papers plenty of times before, so you should be expecting lower grade boundaries no? Did you find it considerably harder that usual ones?

I usually fail in exam conditions, every single one of my exams this year, be it A-Level or STEP have been a disappointment. It seems like other people seem to have fared okay though, so I wouldn't use my own experience. I'm just retarded.
Can someone please explain how you draw graphs when there's tons of variables?

Like the fn(x) one? Drawing the graph for a specific n value is hard enough how do you draw a general graph to cover all n values??

you didn't need to
you needed to do sketches about parts where the roots a and b were. the rest of the graph was irrelevant
Original post by matthewdjones
you didn't need to
you needed to do sketches about parts where the roots a and b were. the rest of the graph was irrelevant

But how? Am I missing something here?
Original post by matthewdjones
1-18-20 (check the graphs on wolfram)
7- 12-13
6- 10
sorry cant help you with 9 or4
11- 15-16 (felt maybe the last part was the important part bringing i) and ii) together of the question but idk)

Thanks yeah I'll check

EDIT : Do you think I missed out on any easier pure question(s)?
Original post by Mathemagicien
Which question?

3 I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by username1987

People who did 12, if the answer they gave you for the probability of at least 1 out of n being in its correct place is f(n), then isnt the probability of exactly one being in its right place n(1-f(n-1)) as you choose 1 card to be in its right place in n ways then times by the chance that all the other n-1 are in the wrong place?

I did question 12, and someone else agreed with me that it is just (1 - f(n-1)).

n cards that can be chosen * 1/n probability that chosen card is in the right place * (1 - f(n-1)) probability that others are in the wrong place.
Original post by Zacken
I usually fail in exam conditions, every single one of my exams this year, be it A-Level or STEP have been a disappointment. It seems like other people seem to have fared okay though, so I wouldn't use my own experience. I'm just retarded.

Ah damn that's tough, why do you think that is? I've always hated the idea of revising for 100's of hours but how good you are being determined on 1 morning in 90 minutes. Should be more exams in an ideal world but there's just not the resources for that until we get computers marking stuff.
But how? Am I missing something here?

by considering tje sign of the derivative
Which question?

Edit: Ah, I remember. That was a nice question! No, just sketch around the roots a and b, not the entire graph. We know the gradient, so...

It was the best question on the paper! How did you do the sketch? I drew little lines through (a, 0) and (b, 0) with the correct gradient in each of the two cases, and then connected them with a dotted line through (c, 0).
Did anyone get values for x and tan theta for the trig inequalities question? Also how many marks dropped for doing everything but finding the values?
Original post by Zacken

Going through the same thing, it's like my brain just goes off at certain points and I make mistakes a 6 year old could spot

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which question?

Edit: Ah, I remember. That was a nice question! No, just sketch around the roots a and b, not the entire graph. We know the gradient, so...

Yeah it was an incredibly nice question (got up to the sketching part in about 5 minutes) but I was stuck for ages.

I just did not understand it lol, originally I thought it would be some zigzag pattern but I had no clue
Original post by Zacken
I'm just retarded.

That isnt true at all. All of us mess up under stress at times and from what I've seen of you on tsr, you're very bright. I'm sure you'll do amazingly at the STEP, and it'll be lovely to see you at Cambridge this fall
Original post by computerkid
Did anyone get values for x and tan theta for the trig inequalities question? Also how many marks dropped for doing everything but finding the values?

x=+-1 and tan theta is -1/y i think.
Original post by Gunawardana
Thanks yeah I'll check

EDIT : Do you think I missed out on any easier pure question(s)?

3 was fairly straightforward. There was no other "easier" pure questions imo. But I wouldn't worry about things like that
Original post by Zacken

yeah I know how you feel man, in my STEP 2 I didnt see the point in Q1 initially and wasted a lot of time (and in some other Qs too - see my post if u like) and oh yeah my M4 exam didnt go well either - messed up bits towards the end and wasted a lotta time on Qs 1 and 2. Also found a gradient the wrong way round in my physics unit 3 (LOL) and I thought I would do much better in each (before the exam)...

I do hope you did better than you think u did though and who knows maybe the grade boundaries might drop a little :smile:
Original post by gasfxekl
x=+-1 and tan theta is -1/y i think.

Any idea how many marks that last bit was worth?
Huge relief +panic after the exam yesterday. I feel like I failed to get Grade 2 but not sure- I always overestimate/underestimate my ability. I shouldn't expect myself to ace it and find it like a breeze- I've only been self-taught on paper II for three months and pretty much struggling since the beginning. Always think I'd improve a lot and perform way better if there was a teacher or someone who could help me with it. I've only attempted 5 questions and panicked a lot during the exam. Q3,4,7 are three almost fulls- but couldn't do the last part in any of them. Q1: didn't factorise and show the intersection point is on C2 and got stuck there. Q12: didn't manage the last 30% of the question.
Does that sound like a Grade 2? I know if it's not a grade 2, it will never fall too far below it, but just been worrying too much about this.
Original post by sweeneyrod
I did question 12, and someone else agreed with me that it is just (1 - f(n-1)).

n cards that can be chosen * 1/n probability that chosen card is in the right place * (1 - f(n-1)) probability that others are in the wrong place.

If others agree with you then I'm probably wrong; the way I was thinking of it was I imagined there were only n-1 cards, considered the probability that all were wrongly ordered and then put in the last card in one of n spaces including the ends... now that I think about it though, I don't think that would multiply the probability by n. Ah well, I'll just have to aim for an S in 3 by doing all the mechanics questions...
Estimate of grade boundaries: 99 / 70 / 60 (for S / 1 / 2).

Please note that I am in the minority who think the paper was generally OK, but some of that is me underestimating the difficulty of Q6 (I think this is OK as I overestimated the difficulty of Q3), and because Q12-13 were both on the easy side (but not many try the stats).

I appreciate that a few marks either direction could make a big difference, so please take these boundaries with a massive pinch of salt. I have been wrong before and could be wrong here.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending