The Student Room Group

Ex employer refusing to give reference

What are my options? This is very petulant especially since it is not against company policy to give references.
Reply 1
Give me the name, address, their profile and a bag of sweets.

I'll sort him out.

On a serious note: Why wouldn't they? Are they just a prick? Good luck
Reply 2
depends on what you need the reference for. If its for a new job, make up a fake email on mail.com and make it look professional, then use that. I know its cheeky, possibly fringing on illegal, but if this is so detrimental that you wont be able to access other jobs, then be a bit immoral and do this.
Original post by donte
depends on what you need the reference for. If its for a new job, make up a fake email on mail.com and make it look professional, then use that. I know its cheeky, possibly fringing on illegal, but if this is so detrimental that you wont be able to access other jobs, then be a bit immoral and do this.

That is fraud which is a criminal offence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would you like me to send the boys round?
Original post by ODES_PDES
Would you like me to send the boys round?

Yes please. :colondollar:
Sounds like a douche move, can't you beg? :frown:
Original post by James.Carnell
What are my options? This is very petulant especially since it is not against company policy to give references.

Was there a written agreement for them to give you a reference upon request? This would have been in your old contract, and if so they are obligated to provide you with one.

You haven't stated what job this was, so I'm going to ask; are you seeking a reference from your old manager, or the company itself?
The company itself. I worked in procurement.
The company itself. I worked in procurement.

Could you be more vague please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
Could you be more vague please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I worked in the construction industry as a Trainee buyer. I was dismissed after 6 months. They have no legal obligation under employment law to give me a reference so that is something I will have to work around, unfortunately.
Original post by Lucarious30
Sounds like a douche move, can't you beg? :frown:

No, they are pretty unethical in general regarding the way they do things so that would not work even if I did that anyway. But it's fine, I will just have to work my way around this.
I worked in the construction industry as a Trainee buyer. I was dismissed after 6 months. They have no legal obligation under employment law to give me a reference so that is something I will have to work around, unfortunately.

What was the reason for your dismissal?

If you were dismissed, then they are doing you a favour by not giving a reference. They have no legal obligation to give a reference, but if they do, they have a legal obligation to telling the truth and not failing to divulge relevant information, and dismissal would be relevant. Be grateful they haven't just sunk all your future applications.

Simply tell the employer that wants the reference that the previous employer will not provide one, and let them think that's because of a company policy. Offer them an alternative referee.
Original post by Kurogane
What was the reason for your dismissal?

They cited interpersonal skills and communication which was basically another way of saying they did not get along with me.

I made them hundreds of thousands, very close to a million. So, it is not like I could not fundamentally do the job itself. They just did not think my personality suited the role.

So, I guess that is what I can say to my prospective new employers, that we had a breakdown in communication because my manager and team were in London but I was based in the north east.
Original post by threeportdrift
If you were dismissed, then they are doing you a favour by not giving a reference. They have no legal obligation to give a reference, but if they do, they have a legal obligation to telling the truth and not failing to divulge relevant information, and dismissal would be relevant. Be grateful they haven't just sunk all your future applications.

Simply tell the employer that wants the reference that the previous employer will not provide one, and let them think that's because of a company policy. Offer them an alternative referee.

Yes, ok I think this is the best course of action. If it means I am screwed from getting another job then so be it, I will find a way around all of this.

Dismissed for what?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They dont have to give one, as long as there was no agreement to do so.

If its a manager see if you can bypass by going to HR or a senior manager. Im assuming there were no bad reasons you left?

Is there an ex manager or former colleague who can provide one?

Ahh have read the thread now.

Its only 6 months. You cna still claim you worked there and what you did, even without a reference.
Just offer them an altenative if they have one.
If they question more deeply be prepared o have you answer ready about why you were dismissed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes, ok I think this is the best course of action. If it means I am screwed from getting another job then so be it, I will find a way around all of this.

It won't. Employers know that there is no legal obligation to give a reference, and if an employer says they won't give a reference, there's no point turning away employees because of it, they just ask for another referee.

Other than in a few specific areas, employers only take up references for the one candidate they have already decided is the one they want. They aren't going to reject that person on the basis that their previous employer won't give a reference - provided they think it is a matter of company policy, not because the employer is hiding a dismissal.

You just need to find strong referees, other than from that employment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending