The Student Room Group

Why the Remain Campaign is losing: Cameron

Let's face it, most people despise David Cameron for some reason, including George Osborne and a few other notable Tory figures campaigning to remain. It's definitely not the arguments, in all the debates and interviews I've seen with Cameron, he has answered the questions perfectly, logically and they all make sense.

The only reason why he never gets a round of applause or praise for his performances and only criticism, is well, because no one really likes him (exaggeration ofc).

On the other you have Boris Johnson who is silver tongued and everyone loves him because he's funny, looks like a cuddly teddy bear etc...

It's not the arguments making the remain campaign lose, it's the people running it - which is sad. What we should have done was have a popular figure like Richard Branson or Lord Sugar, people who the population actually like, to run the remain campaign.

Btw, I don't really mind Osborne and Cameron - nice guys irl

Scroll to see replies

Eddie Izzard was the final nail in the coffin.
To be fair, having Corbyn in the Remain campaign doesn't give it much credibilty.
(edited 7 years ago)
Rolling out Tony Blair hasn't helped either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
We've all had enough of them. Voting leave.
Original post by Proximo
On the other you have Boris Johnson who is silver tongued and everyone loves him because he's funny, looks like a cuddly teddy bear etc...

Ok I certainly don't "love him" lmao
You know what is weird though Cameron has his cronies everywhere have you seen this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJtnqpqpA4I
I bet David Cameron is behind this if you see there are actually a lot of other celebrities who have done this as well.
But Boris Johnson is not really that active (well I dont think so)
but anyway I Vote Leave.:ciao:
Original post by Ladymusiclover
We've all had enough of them. Voting leave.

This!
Sugar's heart isn't with Remain, he changed his mind in exchange for a job.

Branson is popular in large part because he doesn't take aggressive public stances on anything.

The problem with Remain is that it is only really supported by people inside a certain social clique. Many people don't like that clique, so anything any of these people has to say only reaches those who already agree.
I reckon if remain had the same scrutiny as leave even the bookies would be backing leave right now. Nobody asks remain what the risks of staying are; nobody asks remain what their vision of the EU in 5-10 years will be; they barely get asked about immigration; they don't have what they allegedly said 10 years ago used against them. I would love to see Corbyn try to take on Neil.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Help Me...
You know what is weird though Cameron has his cronies everywhere have you seen this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJtnqpqpA4I
I bet David Cameron is behind this if you see there are actually a lot of other celebrities who have done this as well.

WTF did I just watch :lol:
Reply 11
doesnt matter because hes going to rig the referendum
Reply 12
Original post by Help Me...

im not even for brexit but Boris is a very active campaigner and has been very successful r u high
Original post by drogon
doesnt matter because hes going to rig the referendum

Tbh its a necessary evil to save us from economic suicide
Reply 14
Original post by Proximo
Tbh its a necessary evil to save us from economic suicide

lefty tosser
Original post by ftw93
lefty tosser

Actually in right wing, but I'm also a realist and I'm not blinded by fantastical claims of 'taking back control' like some five year old kid fighting over a toy.

I care much more about people's jobs.
Reply 16
Original post by Proximo
Actually in right wing, but I'm also a realist and I'm not blinded by fantastical claims of 'taking back control' like some five year old kid fighting over a toy.

I care much more about people's jobs.

my mistake, cuckservative
Original post by ftw93
my mistake, cuckservative

Apology accepted lol
Original post by Proximo
Let's face it, most people despise David Cameron for some reason, including George Osborne and a few other notable Tory figures campaigning to remain. It's definitely not the arguments, in all the debates and interviews I've seen with Cameron, he has answered the questions perfectly, logically and they all make sense.

The only reason why he never gets a round of applause or praise for his performances and only criticism, is well, because no one really likes him (exaggeration ofc).

It's not the arguments making the remain campaign lose, it's the people running it - which is sad. What we should have done was have a popular figure like Richard Branson or Lord Sugar, people who the population actually like, to run the remain campaign.

Btw, I don't really mind Osborne and Cameron - nice guys irl

I don't agree.

I think Remain's failure has been twofold.

Firstly, we have never seen Goebbel's "big lie" in British politics before. British politicians have argued in a context of reasonably agreed fact. Tories say they are spending more on the NHS. Labour say it is isn't enough. Remain's scare stories are in the British tradition of "political lies" traditionally told by Labour and Conservatives. Leave is telling the big lie. The £350m a week sent to Brussels is a "big lie" because it ignores the £184m sent by Brussels to the UK each week and there is no rational reason it should be ignored. Remain have found no way to combat this. We are going to see much worse in the next general election.

Secondly, none of the financial arguments are being made in a context ordinary people can understand. £350m is just an enormous number to most people. They are incapable of contextualising it. Is it six aircraft carriers or a small tank? Would it support the NHS for a year or for the afternoon? As soon as Leave over-promised the £350m there should have been posters and full page press ads with Boris standing wearing a dunce's cap standing a sum with £350 at the top, all the spending pledges below and a big figure for tax rises at the bottom.
Original post by DiddyDec
Rolling out Tony Blair hasn't helped either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Or Gordon brown

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending