The Student Room Group

2016 AQA Physics P3 higher tier Unofficial Markscheme 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bulbasaur10
Yes. That's what I thought, but was M closer to the lens than the original point or not..... :frown:? I am so worried!

The question asked you to compare positions N and M, so you had to describe the nature of both, right? I did both just to be safe
'What is meant by a moment of force?'
Original post by dianmian12
There was the question on the foot pedal and drums. You had to find out the force of the chain from the foot pedal (3 marks)
It said there was a 1.5 N force from toe I think. 0.20 from pivot to the chain. 0.12 from pivot to toe.
What did you all get for the answer?

I got 0.9N

I put a resultant force of a circular movement
Reply 24
I got 0.9N as well
Very last question on lens -
Draw lens c, it gave you lens B.
Did you draw lens c thinner?
Original post by Ayesha_Narod
The question asked you to compare positions N and M, so you had to describe the nature of both, right? I did both just to be safe

Oh! I might actually have a chance of getting the marks now. :smile: :smile: :smile: AQA are mean so I probably won't but it doesn't matter too much. I kinda just said 'when the object is closer e.g. at L/M....., blah blah happens to the image!' :tongue: Maybe it will be enough!
'Why is X-rays not used with unborn babies?' (3)

X-ray causes ionisation (1) which are damaging to the foetus' cells, causing them to become mutant and divide uncontrollably. (1) This leads to cancer. (1)

This question also came up in the 2013 paper, which I took last night. But that time they gave you 2 marks, whereas this year's paper gave you 3 marks for the same question...
Reply 28
There was the question on the foot pedal and drums. You had to find out the force of the chain from the foot pedal (3 marks)
It said there was a 1.5 N force from toe I think. 0.20 from pivot to the chain. 0.12 from pivot to toe.

sounds like a moments question, if you could be more precise on what the question was i could calc it, was it something like

..........< 0.12m> ............<0.20m>
(1.5N)-----------(pivot)-----------------(Force Xn)

anything like that? if so just do 1.5*0.12=0.2*X so X=1.5*0.12/0.2 =0.9 N

but hey i dont know what the exact question was cos i didn't sit this paper, this was just a guess at what the question might be?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by YAY GCSE
I put a resultant force of a circular movement

Moment: force* perpendicular distance from pivot
Original post by Sam1999__
Agreed OP that was possibly the most horrible physics paper I have ever seen.... They added lots of little traps and tricks into the calculation questions and there were so many graphs, it was definitely less linear than the other physics past papers i did which i got As and A*s on all round. Questions were worth the same sort of marks that they were in past papers but in this paper there seemed to be more steps to the answer and everything just seemed more confusing. My only hope now is low grade boundaries because everyone in my school found it hard and seeing this is nice in a way because i know other people found it especially hard as well:smile:

lol peak, it wasn't as hard as you are making out; if you slept well and revised there's no excuse to get below 51-54, hence the grade bounadries will remain i think at 44 or 46

I drew it thicker. I don't really know, but my line of thought was that since it had a shorter focal length, it had to be more powerful, and as it had the same refractive index as lens b (made of the same glass), it had to be thicker to converge the rays more.

May be I totally misread it.... :smile:
Reply 32

I got 0.9 N
Reply 33

No- it's fatter
Original post by TSRPAV
Moment: force* perpendicular distance from pivot

It said to define moment not how do you work out moment
Reply 35
Original post by 1jonam16
lol peak, it wasn't as hard as you are making out; if you slept well and revised there's no excuse to get below 51-54, hence the grade bounadries will remain i think at 44 or 46

lol completely missed out the good sleep 😪
Reply 36
Original post by 1jonam16

For A*?
What bout physics unit 2? What ur predictions for A*?
Reply 37
Original post by YAY GCSE
It said to define moment not how do you work out moment

that is the definition of a moment.look it up if you want to
For the last one, I just drew a really fat, curved lens :redface:

As stated in the CPG revision guide, it's the 'turning effect of a force'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending