The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1680
Everyone here seems so experienced with STEP so I was hoping for a grade estimate :smile: Thank you and if anyone would like me to write up a solution for these I'd be more than willing

Q3: Did this one fully (including repeated roots for n is even case)

Q4: showed (ycos-sin)^2 > 4(y-1)^2 (albeit by an ugly method involving showing that (x+1/x)>= 2) and expanded some trig stuff in y^2 + 1 > 4(y-1)^2 but didn't really do anything

Q5: Fully done, although sometimes my writing may have seemed not too rigorous ("adding the different ways to make x^n from each of the sums, we need x^j from the first and x^(n-j) from the other"), but I think it was all there

Q6: Fully done

Q7: Did it all until the integral of 1/(cos(x)(cos(x)+sin(x)) which I worked with until something like 1/(cos(2x) + sin(2x) + 1), used the identity again and got nowhere xD (now that i see one just divides by cos(x) i feel so stupid haha)

Q8: Evaluated the integral at the start and drew a really rough sketch but had 1/m rather than 1/m^2 box heights and stated that clearly the area under the curve approximated the area under the boxes (possibly getting no points for the diagram)

Also I'm not sure how confident I should be of getting 20s in those I did fully :/ (looking to get 1,1 for trinity)

It seems to me like it's probably a first, but I want to be really sure (for some reasons I may have to make an important decision based on this before I get results (has to do with choosing to go to Berkeley instead and losing lots of money))
Original post by Zacken
How'd you do the second bit about a < 0 is a is a real root? I said that for x > 0, f_(n-1) was obviously > 0, so derivative was > 0, so f_n(x) was increasing and f(0) = 1, so f_n(x) > 1, so the only real root could happen for x < 0.

all terms were positive was another possibility
Original post by gasfxekl
all terms were positive was another possibility

ya that's what I did
Original post by jweo
Everyone here seems so experienced with STEP so I was hoping for a grade estimate :smile: Thank you and if anyone would like me to write up a solution for these I'd be more than willing

Q3: Did this one fully (including repeated roots for n is even case)

Q4: showed (ycos-sin)^2 > 4(y-1)^2 (albeit by an ugly method involving showing that (x+1/x)>= 2) and expanded some trig stuff in y^2 + 1 > 4(y-1)^2 but didn't really do anything

Q5: Fully done, although sometimes my writing may have seemed not too rigorous ("adding the different ways to make x^n from each of the sums, we need x^j from the first and x^(n-j) from the other":wink:, but I think it was all there

Q6: Fully done

Q7: Did it all until the integral of 1/(cos(x)(cos(x)+sin(x)) which I worked with until something like 1/(cos(2x) + sin(2x) + 1), used the identity again and got nowhere xD (now that i see one just divides by cos(x) i feel so stupid haha)

Q8: Evaluated the integral at the start and drew a really rough sketch but had 1/m rather than 1/m^2 box heights and stated that clearly the area under the curve approximated the area under the boxes (possibly getting no points for the diagram)

Also I'm not sure how confident I should be of getting 20s in those I did fully :/ (looking to get 1,1 for trinity)

It seems to me like it's probably a first, but I want to be really sure (for some reasons I may have to make an important decision based on this before I get results (has to do with choosing to go to Berkeley instead and losing lots of money))

you got into berkeley? congrats
Original post by Zacken
How'd you do the second bit about a < 0 is a is a real root? I said that for x > 0, f_(n-1) was obviously > 0, so derivative was > 0, so f_n(x) was increasing and f(0) = 1, so f_n(x) > 1, so the only real root could happen for x < 0.

I did the same thing.
Might as well see how people think I did:

1: Mostly full - showed there were intersections like the question asked but didn't find the exact coordinates - still think I drew an accurate sketch though.
2: Pretty confident of a full on this.
3: Happy with everything here bar the sketch justification - I think mine was very shady and rushed.
4: Wrote line one line and then decided to do a different question.
6: Everything bar the last part - differentiated v(x) and left at that.
7: All the integrals done bar the last one which I also wrote a single line for before moving on. Maybe a minor slip on one of the previous integrals but nothing massive.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1686
Any solutions yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
In regards to q8, How did people do part iii? i got an answer although felt like i was waffling. Overall it was a carcrash, started well with q3 getting a full. by the end managed to get 7, 2 parts of 5 what i described in q8 and two abysmal attempts at q2 and 12. Feel like i got 70 so probably a few marks below a 1
Reply 1689
Original post by KingRS
In regards to q8, How did people do part iii? i got an answer although felt like i was waffling. Overall it was a carcrash, started well with q3 getting a full. by the end managed to get 7, 2 parts of 5 what i described in q8 and two abysmal attempts at q2 and 12. Feel like i got 70 so probably a few marks below a 1

sounds similar to mine, i got 70 as well. Shamika says he think the boundary for a 1 is at 70, so we might get lucky but otherwise I feel utterly horrible.
Reply 1690
Original post by IDValour
Might as well see how people think I did:

1: Mostly full - showed there were intersections like the question asked but didn't find the exact coordinates - still think I drew an accurate sketch though.
2: Pretty confident of a full on this.
3: Happy with everything here bar the sketch justification - I think mine was very shady and rushed.
4: Wrote line one line and then decided to do a different question.
6: Everything bar the last part - differentiated v(x) and left at that.
7: All the integrals done bar the last one which I also wrote a single line for before moving on. Maybe a minor slip on one of the previous integrals but nothing massive.

18 + 20 + 17 + 12 + 16 = 80, certainly a 1. Much better position than I'm currently in. :tongue:
Reply 1691
Original post by gasfxekl
you got into berkeley? congrats

Thank you :smile: But cambridge is my dream. Any idea for an estimate? I'm stressing hahah
Reply 1692
Original post by jweo

20 + 4 + 20 + 20 + 17 + 4 = 85, certainly a 1.

--

Sigh, everybody seems to be getting a 1 except me. :frown:
Original post by Zacken
20 + 4 + 20 + 20 + 17 + 4 = 85, certainly a 1.

--

Sigh, everybody seems to be getting a 1 except me. :frown:

Not the only one :wink: we can beg cambridge to let us in together haha
Reply 1694
Original post by KingRS
Not the only one :wink: we can beg cambridge to let us in together haha

We need to do really well in STEP III to still have a reasonable chance. :eek3:
Original post by Zacken
We need to do really well in STEP III to still have a reasonable chance. :eek3:

Yeah, Although i think we can easily get an S on a good day so all's not lost yet
Reply 1696
Original post by KingRS
Yeah, Although i think we can easily get an S on a good day so all's not lost yet

I'm still in sort of a daze though, I can't seem to get myself to do any work and I just feel so down. Arghhh, this really sapped my confidence.
ToT I only did 5 questions…Spent 20mins on the first part of Question 4 and still didn't manage to get it…
Overall,
Did 3 full questions(Q1 Q2 Q7)…
I forget to do the deduce part in Q3 which is deduce there is only 1 root of fn(x)…But I have stated the number of roots in the cases n is odd and even… how many marks will I lose?
For Q6, I didn't do the last part which is too prove v(x)=yn(ym(x))something…
How many marks will I got?
I feel like I can not meet my offer as it is an S in STEP II…
Original post by Zacken
I'm still in sort of a daze though, I can't seem to get myself to do any work and I just feel so down. Arghhh, this really sapped my confidence.

Really don't let a bad STEP II get you down - I, and plenty of others, thought the offer had been missed after II (which in my case was nearly the case, I was jammy and was dead on the boundary! :P ) and honestly you've probably done better than you think. Just make III as good as possible: even if you do miss the II grade but have a good III (and I grade since you sat it) you should be given the place. Which college have you applied to?
Reply 1699
Original post by Alex_Aits
Really don't let a bad STEP II get you down - I, and plenty of others, thought the offer had been missed after II (which in my case was nearly the case, I was jammy and was dead on the boundary! :P ) and honestly you've probably done better than you think. Just make III as good as possible: even if you do miss the II grade but have a good III (and I grade since you sat it) you should be given the place. Which college have you applied to?

Cheers mate, appreciated. Hoping I'll pull a jammy and get dead onto the 1 boundary. :P - I've applied to King's, which means that if I miss my offer in STEP II but do extraordinarily well in III, I'll be pooled somewhere else rather than accepted by King's, given their popularity.

Anywho, thanks for the encouragement. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending