The Student Room Group

How do I leave my uni?! Not getting any straight answers from my university!

I have just finished first year (can't really call it completed as I haven't attend in 7 months). I want to withdraw completely from the course and take a year out from education due to mental health problems.

I have tried to contact a lot of people around my university about this and I just keep getting passed about getting no further forward. I am worried I am going to be auto-enrolled in year 2, or something like that? I haven't picked choices or anything like that so hopefully not. I've even emails my programme leader about this.

I've not been able to cope with university this year as I have been a mess, I'm hoping to sort myself out and then go back to university next year, I don't think it would be a good idea to go back this year as I don't feel ready.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thank you :smile:
Original post by Nihilism
I have just finished first year (can't really call it completed as I haven't attend in 7 months). I want to withdraw completely from the course and take a year out from education due to mental health problems.

I have tried to contact a lot of people around my university about this and I just keep getting passed about getting no further forward. I am worried I am going to be auto-enrolled in year 2, or something like that? I haven't picked choices or anything like that so hopefully not. I've even emails my programme leader about this.

I've not been able to cope with university this year as I have been a mess, I'm hoping to sort myself out and then go back to university next year, I don't think it would be a good idea to go back this year as I don't feel ready.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thank you :smile:

Which university is it?

There's probably information somewhere on the university website - if you say where it is we'll be able to help.

If you don't want to say then contacting the student records or registry team explaining what you want to do will usually get you the best answer.
Reply 2
Heya,
I'm in the same boat as you. I suspended my studies due to mental health then decided to just leave after some time to think. I was advised to contact my faculty office and they then got in touch with the person who handles withdrawals. She then emailed me the withdrawal form, I filled it in, sent it back and that was it! Don't know if that's the same for all unis but try contacting your faculty office asking how to leave and they should point you in the right direction. Your student union might also have an advice centre you can contact? Just in case it is different at your uni. And of course as previously mentioned it might be on your uni website if you haven't looked already.
Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
Which university is it?

There's probably information somewhere on the university website - if you say where it is we'll be able to help.

If you don't want to say then contacting the student records or registry team explaining what you want to do will usually get you the best answer.

It's Glasgow Caledonian. I was told I had to email 'Funding' which I did, who told me to tell my academic advisor. However I have never met him and was told he was abroad for the whole of the academic year. This university is hopeless.
It's Glasgow Caledonian. I was told I had to email 'Funding' which I did, who told me to tell my academic advisor. However I have never met him and was told he was abroad for the whole of the academic year. This university is hopeless.

Contact these people: http://www.gcu.ac.uk/student/registry/studentrecords/

They'll be able to send you the withdrawal forms you need to fill in - explain to them that you've already been messed around and just want to make sure you're not progressed into year 2.
Original post by PQ

They'll be able to send you the withdrawal forms you need to fill in - explain to them that you've already been messed around and just want to make sure you're not progressed into year 2.

I am unable to rep you im afraid PQ.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ

Thank you so much! I am going to email them now and will see what happens.
Reply 7
Original post by trc96
Heya,
I'm in the same boat as you. I suspended my studies due to mental health then decided to just leave after some time to think. I was advised to contact my faculty office and they then got in touch with the person who handles withdrawals. She then emailed me the withdrawal form, I filled it in, sent it back and that was it! Don't know if that's the same for all unis but try contacting your faculty office asking how to leave and they should point you in the right direction. Your student union might also have an advice centre you can contact? Just in case it is different at your uni. And of course as previously mentioned it might be on your uni website if you haven't looked already.
Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks for the help! I had looked around the website to avail before this haha.
Thank you so much! I am going to email them now and will see what happens.

Good luck

Remember that the same team will be dealing with sorting out degree transcripts for graduates and getting marks out to continuing students at this time of year - so they are likely to be very busy (but fingers crossed they'll be able to help you out quickly :smile:)

Presumably you have been seeing a Dr or getting some form of counseling?

Do as PQ said and get the offical forms. Just make it clear you have not attended for seven months and you want to formally withdraw from the course.

Get it straight in your own mind whether you just want to leave the course or defer to start again in a years time?

Where you are unsure who your contact is, then in addition to admissions/ student records, then send a copy to either the head of department or to your tutor and they cna pick it up when they get round to it. the important thing is you have a record that you have formally withdrawn.

If you havent been there for seven months (before Christmas), then you should check to see whether you have been charged for 2016 and seek a possible refund of fees. This will reduce your debt.

If you had to withdraw for medical reasons, then put SFE on notice that was the reason you left. Its possible for you to claim compelling personal reasons to get them to aboid using the year as one of your funded years. This may be relevant later if they restrict the number of years they fund you.

Sorry to hear about your mental health issues. Do get them sorted out and move yourself to a better place, before deciding whether to return to HE. It doesnt have to be the same course or Uni and unless you know, then I'd adbise not to return till you are definitley on top of things and you know what you wnat to do and where. There is nothing wrong with delaying and its much smarter than doing a degree when you arent ready, at a place or in a subject you dont enjoy.
Reply 10
Original post by 999tigger
Presumably you have been seeing a Dr or getting some form of counseling?

Do as PQ said and get the offical forms. Just make it clear you have not attended for seven months and you want to formally withdraw from the course.

Get it straight in your own mind whether you just want to leave the course or defer to start again in a years time?

Where you are unsure who your contact is, then in addition to admissions/ student records, then send a copy to either the head of department or to your tutor and they cna pick it up when they get round to it. the important thing is you have a record that you have formally withdrawn.

If you havent been there for seven months (before Christmas), then you should check to see whether you have been charged for 2016 and seek a possible refund of fees. This will reduce your debt.

If you had to withdraw for medical reasons, then put SFE on notice that was the reason you left. Its possible for you to claim compelling personal reasons to get them to aboid using the year as one of your funded years. This may be relevant later if they restrict the number of years they fund you.

Sorry to hear about your mental health issues. Do get them sorted out and move yourself to a better place, before deciding whether to return to HE. It doesnt have to be the same course or Uni and unless you know, then I'd adbise not to return till you are definitley on top of things and you know what you wnat to do and where. There is nothing wrong with delaying and its much smarter than doing a degree when you arent ready, at a place or in a subject you dont enjoy.

I've emailed student records, who have actually passed me on to my programme admin, who I've already tried to contact about this previously! This is crazy.

In regards to debt, I am a Scottish student so I get funded through SAAS, who will fund a 'false-start' year so I'm not too worried about that.

I haven't been properly since October/November time but I have actually submitted coursework through 2016.

I'm not actually seeing a doctor at the moment, I visited once in december and never went back. I want to wait a year and get everything sorted with therapy etc before going back to a different university next year as I hate this one and the course.
I've emailed student records, who have actually passed me on to my programme admin, who I've already tried to contact about this previously! This is crazy.

In regards to debt, I am a Scottish student so I get funded through SAAS, who will fund a 'false-start' year so I'm not too worried about that.

I haven't been properly since October/November time but I have actually submitted coursework through 2016.

I'm not actually seeing a doctor at the moment, I visited once in december and never went back. I want to wait a year and get everything sorted with therapy etc before going back to a different university next year as I hate this one and the course.

1. If the Uni have given you forms, then complete them. Send one copy to the records people and another to the head of department and or your tutor.
All you need is dated communication. You cant progress it any further, but it is good evidence of your intentions. You cannot pregress it any further. Let records know that.

2. Contact SAAS and get them to make a note on your file explaining the situation andyou appear to have hit an admin brick wall. Send them the foprms you have sent to the uni noifying them of withdrawal and say you cnat progress it any further as its all in the hands of the Uni. That you will update them if theres any progress and in any even in four weeks.

Dont drive yourself mad. thats as much as you can do.

That is formal notice you have left and should put a stop to them getting any more funding.
Reply 12
If you leave now, you will have to repay a good chunk of your most recent Maintenance Loan. It might be strategic to defer officially leaving until nearer the end of the summer break.

Quick Reply

Latest