The Student Room Group

Help me choose my A levels subjects

Scroll to see replies

I didn't get show that blank = blank questions where you turned an equation into some natural log one till a week before the C2 exam.

Maths was a bit awkward for me to revise because I understood pretty much all the concepts but in AS early on I was bad with advanced questions like exam ones. Really a lot of my revision was past papers and you can't exactly do past papers all the time.

I was quite lazy early on in AS so I didn't ask for help so much. Make sure you ask a teacher for help if you don't understand something because they will explain better than pretty much any textbook or guide you will read (unless they're a **** teacher).
(edited 7 years ago)
I did Further Maths at GCSE so a lot of it wasn't new to me but stuff like logs etc that was new to me I just understood straight away after the teacher had explained it - there were always tricky ones but I just attempted them then went and asked a teacher if I didn't get it.

Word of advice - you mentioned you panic at the sight of the maths questions - the girl who sits next to me in maths is exactly the same - completely panics.

She's currently getting U's.

And she works incredibly hard and goes to private tuiton and does everything but she never seems to get it - for some reason she gets basic things wrong - so yeah, just thought I'd let you know about her, there are lots of people like that who just end up dropping the subject altogether.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I never used my notes or knowledge stuff in the textbook, pretty much just revised everything I needed to know by practicing it.
Also, something else I forgot to mention - do you actually enjoy maths and find the topics interesting? If not, maths will be incredibly dull for you - it's literally just past paper after past paper after past paper endlessly until exams are over - and maybe sometimes,questions by topic taken from past papers :redface:

It's not like the sciences or history at all where there's loads of content to enjoy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just make sure you apply the principles in the same way! If your expression is say y=2h^2, you still use dy/dx but it's now dy/dh! Always also make sure that each bit is in ax^n form!

I did find the essay subjects got in the way with maths, however it's manageable. You just have to strict in your approach, something I wasn't to begin with haha!
Reply 25
hmm, I'd say go over the syllabus and pick out things you're not sure about. find some youtube videos that break down the C1 chapters (particularly with learning new skills like integration and differentiation). and lots of past papers. it'll be difficult to learn yourself, particularly without a C1 textbook, but you can get a good way into it at least. when you find yourself stuck on a past paper question, find out how to do it (try here). good luck! if you need any help with C1 I'd be happy to help with questions you find
History, Geography, Economics, Chemistry for me. Wanted to do a degree/career in social sciences, and loved the subjects. As for chemistry, I loved the subject and it interested me.

I made it work - AAAA on track for A*A*A with A* in EPQ (dropped chem). Hopefully I'll meet my offers ;(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't worry about it!

I went to a few add maths classes and had no idea what was going on, and then dropped out - things will definitely improve!
It really depends on what you like! Personally, I would say don't choose maths since you said it can make you feel extra stressed, but you can always choose it and change to another subject within the first month. I initially chose law thinking I would LOVE it, within just 3 weeks I knew I hated it and my college let me change to psychology, which I didn't regret one bit! It's such a shame your college isn't offering French, although it's super challenging and hard to get a top grade in, it is really rewarding :smile:
I do French, philosophy and psychology and did English language & literature at AS - which was a really good course that maybe you could consider if your college offers it?
Good luck and remember, you can always change if you're feeling uncomfortable! :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by 34908seikj
Thinking skills, do you mean critical thinking? Because that's ****ing useless. Literally no decent uni will accept it.

CIE calls it thinking skills. Yeah i know, school makes everyone do it or do general paper. Its doesnt really matter tho coz i have 3 A levels.
Of course if you enjoy writing history essays then go for it! Just bear in mind that with any subject the level of depth required at A level is a big step up from GCSE. An A* in English GCSE would not equate to a C at A level English.

Mind me asking what kind of history you're most interested in/what your school will teach you about?
Reply 31
I don't know if I'm completely defeating the purpose of this thread :colondollar:

But, I wanted to take up geography for a-level, however I didn't take it as a GCSE. The college I want to go to says you only need B in geography or a science to take it so will my lack of geographical knowledge hinder me in any way? Should I maybe start revising some stuff in the summer (will be doing this for maths anyway:emo: )

Or maybe I should stick to my first choice which was Economics?

Geography of Economics? My other A-level choices are Maths,Chem and Physics
Just don't. Don't do it to yourself. AVOID A-LEVELS! On a more serious note take whatever you like most. It's going to take up 2 years of your life after all 😀

Quick Reply

Latest