The Student Room Group

OCR Classics Comic Drama in the Ancient World

Hey! Is anyone here doing the OCR comedy exam?

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I moved this to the Classics forum for you - you're more likely to get an answer here :h:
Reply 2
Yes I am! Any theme ideas or predictions?
Reply 3
Original post by shaylux
Yes I am! Any theme ideas or predictions?

Not a clue! We have only read the books in class so I am panicking because we haven't gone over any themes or anything! I am trying to do it at home but it's not the same. I hope women come up, at least it's one if the last exams!
Reply 4
Yes I'm sort of hoping for women too. Have you learned full quotes? I'm not sure how much value to place on direct quotes for extra marks or just being able to get a point across..
Reply 5
Original post by shaylux
Yes I'm sort of hoping for women too. Have you learned full quotes? I'm not sure how much value to place on direct quotes for extra marks or just being able to get a point across..

No I haven't
Reply 6
Original post by shaylux

Do you have any idea of how to answer a of this question?ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465326104.618162.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by cat_Holmes
Do you have any idea of how to answer a of this question?ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465326104.618162.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

I remember doing this past q, the targets I put were foreigners because of Lampito's accent so stereotyping, women for portraying them as stupid for instance the white horse sacrifice was made to start the Trojan war, direct audience inclusion and Aesychlus, and then extend to talk about his political satire elsewhere!
Reply 8
Original post by shaylux
I remember doing this past q, the targets I put were foreigners because of Lampito's accent so stereotyping, women for portraying them as stupid for instance the white horse sacrifice was made to start the Trojan war, direct audience inclusion and Aesychlus, and then extend to talk about his political satire elsewhere!

Ahh okay thanks!
Does anyone know what other themes there might be? I hope its women, I hate the vague essay questions at the end :frown:
Original post by laneahcl11
Does anyone know what other themes there might be? I hope its women, I hate the vague essay questions at the end :frown:

I hope it's women too 😁 I guess if you look through the themes on the specification they can't stray too far from those :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Does anyone what you would say for the historical context of Plautus's plays, as in what does it say about Roman Society? I only know about the Clouds and education and Lysistrata and the Peloponnesian war, is that all we need to know?
Does anyone what you would say for the historical context of Plautus's plays, as in what does it say about Roman Society? I only know about the Clouds and education and Lysistrata and the Peloponnesian war, is that all we need to know?

I'm pretty sure this was written during the republican period so you can talk about how the rules were pretty tough and how you couldn't be directly critical of the military etc. I don't think it has any really important context like Lysistrata though..?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13

Plautus updated Greek new comedy, which is relevant, reinforces ideas about the rules about what he could write about being pretty strict. Otherwise you can learn a fair amount about slaves from stuff like Sceledrus' mention of his family all being crucified before him, or Messenio's speech about how to be a good slave. Slaves is really the only thing I can think of as being particularly relevant.

I'm really worried for this exam tbh, I just can't get a knack of the questions :s-smilie:
Hey guys- what did you think today? I was really thrown by the weird structure for part A for Lysistrata but all my friends seemed to find it really good! What did you guys think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Sophiestudies
Hey guys- what did you think today? I was really thrown by the weird structure for part A for Lysistrata but all my friends seemed to find it really good! What did you guys think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was alright, I am not too sure how it went tbh! The paper was nice though I just hope that doesn't mean high grade boundaries!

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah the part A was weird not sure if what I wrote was right, wasn't too sure of how to answer it
Original post by laneahcl11
yeah the part A was weird not sure if what I wrote was right, wasn't too sure of how to answer it

Yeah same! I think it made sense I'm just not sure whether I wrote the right answers! Did you do Lysistrata too? (Although to be honest both questions were different from the usual and asked the passage and the rest for part a)
I thought the essays were fine although you never know with those

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought it went okay too. I didn't like the Lysistrata so I did the Plautus instead, only to forget like half of the Swaggering Soldier and all of Philocomasium's appearances, haha. Which 50 marker did you do? I did the first one about the societies, even if I had barely information about Plautean society.
Original post by PLJohn
I thought it went okay too. I didn't like the Lysistrata so I did the Plautus instead, only to forget like half of the Swaggering Soldier and all of Philocomasium's appearances, haha. Which 50 marker did you do? I did the first one about the societies, even if I had barely information about Plautean society.

That was probably a wise decision! I saw the thing about Philocomasium and panicked because that is by far her most memorable scene! I did the same one as you, but all I really said was that for a modern audience the inclusion of slaves and courtesans would be weird, and we wouldn't understand their stereotypes. My friend also wrote about how they were travelling shows, and so were supposed to appeal to everyone and not just to a single audience like the Athenian one. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending