The Student Room Group

25, lost in life, getting down

Hi i'm new here and figured it would be worth a shot posting this.
I'm 25 years old, with no quals higher than A level.
My GCSE results were poor, passing with C's in the most important ones (English, Maths, ICT, Business Studies) with D's IIRC in the others.

A levels weren't much better with CCD in Eng Lang, ICT with the D being in business.

Couldn't decide what to do after A levels so never went to uni. Now the harsh reality is setting in.
I'll admit i've been pretty spoilt in life, having parents who own a very successful business, owning multiple properties etc, so i've never had much drive to make my own money as a lot was handed to me.
It is no way to live, to get some fulfilment in life you need to contribute and make your own path and achieve something. Pathetically i only realise that now.

I've basically just gone from retail job to retail job. I'm pretty good at selling despite having mild to moderate social anxiety (just signed for CBT to help with that). But i want more, most of the time i've been on minimum or slightly over minimum wage. Despite this i do have 20k in savings which is better than nothing.

I just don't know what to do for a career. With such bad grades i'd be lucky to get into uni and even if i do, its 3+ years of my life gone with a hell of a lot of debt, and i may even regret the course i choose.

I enjoy the gym, selling, motorcycles and fitness. A gym instructor would be heaven for me but that is minimum wage too. A personal trainer is a very tough market to make a comfortable living from. So i'm not sure.
Has anyone been or is in this situation and can shed some light?
you have a lot of positives going for you. presumably the debt could be covered by your family if they are quite wealthy... you have a solid employment record; you must be in good health with the gym & fitness... look on the bright side :h:
Reply 2
If you don't think your grades are good enough to get into uni, you could always try an access course. If you're worried about starting something and then hating it and ending up in a load of debt, that's the risk a lot of students take. You could try going to open days and uni fayres to get an idea of what you might want to do. It's never to late to explore those options.

If you're looking to do something more fulfilling, why don't you try some charity work? It's a great way to "give back" and you might find something that could steer your career path

Good luck
:smile:
Try being 29 and going nowhere :jester:

With decent grades too.
Original post by ALittleLost25

Surely you can leverage something from your parents' business? Even if not with them, they must have business to business contacts.

Also, be realistic (talk to your parents about how their business started) You aren't going to go from a background of poor academics and minimum wage jobs to a full on 'successful' career overnight, or even in a couple of years. If you are 25 now, you are going to have to work at it for 10 years until you are likely to look back and think you are 'successful'. Don't sit and wait for an option that is going to fast-track you anywhere - only winning the lottery does that.
Would uni be my best option then?
Would uni be my best option then?

No, not at all. You have weak school grades and so you'll only get into a weak university that will never pay back the costs over a lifetime of work. All you would do is defer the problem, be 28 without a career, but with £40+k of debt. Go and get a job and start working.
Original post by threeportdrift
No, not at all. You have weak school grades and so you'll only get into a weak university that will never pay back the costs over a lifetime of work. All you would do is defer the problem, be 28 without a career, but with £40+k of debt. Go and get a job and start working.

I could just retake A levels in subjects relevant to what i decide to do. So i'd have much better grades to go to a better uni with. I just never really tried at school but willing to put everything into it now
I could just retake A levels in subjects relevant to what i decide to do. So i'd have much better grades to go to a better uni with. I just never really tried at school but willing to put everything into it now

Super, then you'd be 30 and with no idea what you want to do. I don't see any of your current suggestions requiring a degree. Stop stalling, leverage a job from your parents business or contacts and start building this career you are so certain you want but simply aren't building.
Original post by Danny the Geezer
Try being 29 and going nowhere :jester:

With decent grades too.

Damn bro :\
Hi i'm new here and figured it would be worth a shot posting this.
I'm 25 years old, with no quals higher than A level.
My GCSE results were poor, passing with C's in the most important ones (English, Maths, ICT, Business Studies) with D's IIRC in the others.

A levels weren't much better with CCD in Eng Lang, ICT with the D being in business.

Couldn't decide what to do after A levels so never went to uni. Now the harsh reality is setting in.
I'll admit i've been pretty spoilt in life, having parents who own a very successful business, owning multiple properties etc, so i've never had much drive to make my own money as a lot was handed to me.
It is no way to live, to get some fulfilment in life you need to contribute and make your own path and achieve something. Pathetically i only realise that now.

I've basically just gone from retail job to retail job. I'm pretty good at selling despite having mild to moderate social anxiety (just signed for CBT to help with that). But i want more, most of the time i've been on minimum or slightly over minimum wage. Despite this i do have 20k in savings which is better than nothing.

I just don't know what to do for a career. With such bad grades i'd be lucky to get into uni and even if i do, its 3+ years of my life gone with a hell of a lot of debt, and i may even regret the course i choose.

I enjoy the gym, selling, motorcycles and fitness. A gym instructor would be heaven for me but that is minimum wage too. A personal trainer is a very tough market to make a comfortable living from. So i'm not sure.
Has anyone been or is in this situation and can shed some light?

Wth. Don't squander your blessings. People out here can't get a leg up if they tried and you've got everything except an excuse. Stop having an existential crisis and join your folks' business. Google "careers" and pick the one you like then work toward it. You have nothing stopping you unless you're diseased which you didn't mention so.
why dont you try a life coach/mentor. it worked for me. Bit like you i did not know where I was heading. just needed some one to guide my thoughts, I now work in banking with a great salary.

Happy to point you in the right diresction or just have a chat.
Have you considered doing any apprenticeships/internships? Not sure if there's an age restriction any more but I think that it's a good place to start, albeit you might not get paid much to start you have your savings but the experience you'll gain from them will be priceless and I'm sure that if you got one at a good company you could always try and move up within the company when you've completed the apprenticeship. This is what makes me kind of wish I didn't go to University as apparently people who have a degree can't apply for them... oh well! :P

Good luck to you and know that you most certainly are not alone. :smile:
Original post by melinae
Have you considered doing any apprenticeships/internships? Not sure if there's an age restriction any more but I think that it's a good place to start, albeit you might not get paid much to start you have your savings but the experience you'll gain from them will be priceless and I'm sure that if you got one at a good company you could always try and move up within the company when you've completed the apprenticeship. This is what makes me kind of wish I didn't go to University as apparently people who have a degree can't apply for them... oh well! :P

Good luck to you and know that you most certainly are not alone. :smile:

To be honest an apprenticeship does seem like my best bet. Not looked into internships but that might be an option too.
I can't see many jobs hiring someone with just sales experience and progressing past that, other than maybe a store manager but I cant see myself being one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending