The Student Room Group

2016 AQA Physics P3 higher tier Unofficial Markscheme 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alyxgower
Me neither? Just a question on drawing it? The question beforehand was about a similar thing with the light bulbs though maybe it was that

What lightbulb question?
Original post by barney.jones123
i got A* in my ISA
around 50 in P1
Around 30 in P2
Around 35 in P3
Do you think I can get an A???

Even if you got the lowest possible A* in your ISA, (44 I think - ??) you would still average around 70%, which could even be an A* after those dreadful Unit 2 and 3 exams.
Realistically, what is the highest the boundary could be for an A*? Many saying mid-40s, but last years was 47 and you don't see grade boundaries decreasing a lot, they tend to rise.
Original post by dianmian12
'What is meant by a moment of force?'

turning effect applied by a force ?? i think :smile:
Reply 84
Original post by harison291
What lightbulb question?

It had a diagram like this, and the question I think was something about the effect of moving one of the light bulbs further/closer to the lens?
250 m/s for the average speed question ? 0.04/0.0008?
Original post by Sint
It had a diagram like this, and the question I think was something about the effect of moving one of the light bulbs further/closer to the lens?

Yep I definitely didn't get that question. Probably a different spec?
Original post by Raheel Iqbal
Realistically, what is the highest the boundary could be for an A*? Many saying mid-40s, but last years was 47 and you don't see grade boundaries decreasing a lot, they tend to rise.

last year's grade boundary for further additional physics was 41 (A*) and for chemistry (triple science) it was 44. where did you get the 47 from?
i think its gonna be 38 for an A*

last year for chemistry, 39 was an A* but in 2014 it was 47 (see how much it has decreased!) so why cant it be for physics this year?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 88
There was the question on the foot pedal and drums. You had to find out the force of the chain from the foot pedal (3 marks)
It said there was a 1.5 N force from toe I think. 0.20 from pivot to the chain. 0.12 from pivot to toe.
What did you all get for the answer?

'What is meant by a moment of force?'

the turning effect of a force
There was the question on the foot pedal and drums. You had to find out the force of the chain from the foot pedal (3 marks)
It said there was a 1.5 N force from toe I think. 0.20 from pivot to the chain. 0.12 from pivot to toe.
What did you all get for the answer?

I got 0.9N as the force for the chain.
Original post by Stegosaurus99
Even if you got the lowest possible A* in your ISA, (44 I think - ??) you would still average around 70%, which could even be an A* after those dreadful Unit 2 and 3 exams.

So I can get an A?!
Reply 92
Original post by ruadb0y
One of the questions asked you to draw the correct symbol for an ammeter and in the correct place in the circuit. I got the symbol right definitely however I don't know if I put it in the right place - I put it on the right of the circuit.
Just 1 mark by the way.

Did it no go around the cell?
Original post by lewisorm
Did it no go around the cell?

The ammeter is connected in series I believe, so it has to be directly attached to the wire.
Reply 94
Original post by Fractite
The ammeter is connected in series I believe, so it has to be directly attached to the wire.

Ah, I drew a line going up next to the cell, across and then the ammeter symbol, and then continued the line across and back down to the circuit, would that be correct?
Out of the possible 230 marks with all three test and the ISA how many marks will it be for an A*?
Original post by lewisorm
Ah, I drew a line going up next to the cell, across and then the ammeter symbol, and then continued the line across and back down to the circuit, would that be correct?

If it's like this, then this is correct:
seriescircuit.jpg
Original post by MaxHSloan
Out of the possible 230 marks with all three test and the ISA how many marks will it be for an A*?

182-ish.
Original post by tianshan
'Why is X-rays not used with unborn babies?' (3)

X-ray causes ionisation (1) which are damaging to the foetus' cells, causing them to become mutant and divide uncontrollably. (1) This leads to cancer. (1)

This question also came up in the 2013 paper, which I took last night. But that time they gave you 2 marks, whereas this year's paper gave you 3 marks for the same question...

You would also have to say why ultrasound is used, which is because it is non ionising
grade boundaries for further additional science course (4410)

biology-A*43, A 38, B 33, C 28
chemistry-A*39, A 35, B 31, C 27
physics-A*41, A 37, B 33, C 29

2014-
biology-A*41, A 35, B 29, C 24
chemistry-A*46, A 39, B 32, C 25
physics-A*44, A 38, B 32, C 26

Grade boundaries for triple science course (4402)

biology-A*47, A 42, B 37, C 32
chemistry-A*40, A 36, B 32, C 28
physics-A*44, A 39, B 34, C 30

2014-
biology-A*43, A 38, B 33, C 28
chemistry-A*47, A 41, B 35, C 29
physics-A*45, A 40, B 34, C 28

this year's prediction?
2016??

biology- A* , A , B , C
chemistry- A* , A , B , C
physics- A*40 , A 37 , B 32, C 27