The Student Room Group

Weapon System Operator (WSOp)

Hey!
I'm currently in the process of applying for WSO and i am doing my research and revision every night until my interview (I have a P2 presentation next week) as I would like to know everything and anything off the back of my hands Incase I'm thrown with some unexpected questions. I have a lot of questions I've researched from NATO to bases to IOT to current affairs, however the only thing I'm finding difficult is to find the correct research for which planes WSO fly in and where these planes are based.
I've read some forums that the information is on the RAF website however I can't find it anywhere, I know there is the equipment section which lists all the planes, helicopters and tanks however which ones are mainly used by WSOs.
I don't want the answers just given to me because I know I need to do all the research myself as it's the only way I'll learn but is anyone able to point me in the right direction?
From what I believe:
WSOp (crewman) - Seaking, Chinook, Merlin, Puma, Voyage, C130, C17

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Eleanorrrrr
Hey!
I'm currently in the process of applying for WSO and i am doing my research and revision every night until my interview (I have a P2 presentation next week) as I would like to know everything and anything off the back of my hands Incase I'm thrown with some unexpected questions. I have a lot of questions I've researched from NATO to bases to IOT to current affairs, however the only thing I'm finding difficult is to find the correct research for which planes WSO fly in and where these planes are based.
I've read some forums that the information is on the RAF website however I can't find it anywhere, I know there is the equipment section which lists all the planes, helicopters and tanks however which ones are mainly used by WSOs.
I don't want the answers just given to me because I know I need to do all the research myself as it's the only way I'll learn but is anyone able to point me in the right direction?
From what I believe:
WSOp (crewman) - Seaking, Chinook, Merlin, Puma, Voyage, C130, C17
Tv
Thanks

Eleanor, Hi. Don't want to sound harsh, as you sound really keen and enthusiastic (which is good) but if you are serious about joining as a WSOp, then you'll need to start applying some initiative and doing some (very) basic research! All the info you need is on the RAF Careers site under WSOp. It shouldn't take more than a few clicks to work out what aircraft types you could fly in or control remotely. The list you have is incomplete and some types.are now not active in the RAF.

You also need to know the very basic difference between a WSO and a WSOp. And what IOT is and where you'd be training.

Get the basics squared away, then come back to ask specific questions you're unlikely to find in open source. I used to be an AEOp ( now known as WSOp) and would be delighted to help you on the long and difficult path to your graduation parade.

Ikky
Reply 2
Hey ikky! Thanks for that!
I believe I know the basics such as the difference between Weapon System Officer and Weapon System Operator.
I also am very up to date with the IOT and the time frames and locations of each Term.
I have the general knowledge bit all down its just I don't know where I'm suppost to be looking on the RAF website for that exact information
Reply 3
Hey ikky! Thanks for that!
I believe I know the basics such as the difference between Weapon System Officer and Weapon System Operator.
I also am very up to date with the IOT and the time frames and locations of each Term.
I have the general knowledge bit all down its just I don't know where I'm suppost to be looking on the RAF website for that exact information

Hi Eleanor, it's probably easier if I tell you where WSOps are based, then you can work out the aircraft. So, Brize Norton for air transport, Waddington for ISTAR , and Odiham and Benson for rotary.

Just so you don't go down the wrong road any further, a WSOp is a Non-Commissioned role and you would train as an airman (air person?) WSO is a Commissioned role but there is no direct entry from civvy street. If you go into a Commissioned role you would do Initial Officer Training (IOT) at RAF Cranwell. As a WSOp you would not do IOT, unless you applied for a Commissioned role later on.

Hope that clears it up. Good luck with your research and application.

Ikky
(edited 7 years ago)
I didn't know they'd opened up WSO again, awesome stuff.

Transport at Brize Norton (voyager, C17, atlas a400m, herculese)

Intelligence,ISTAR/JASTOR/AWACS etc at Waddington (sentry, sentinel, shadow etc)

Rotary wing at Benson/Odihan (puma, chinook, merlin etc)
Reply 5
Original post by FattyHater
I didn't know they'd opened up WSO
again, awesome stuff.

Intelligence,ISTAR/JASTOR/AWACS etc at Waddington (sentry, sentinel, shadow etc)

Be careful with those titles. The one you've quoted doesn't relate to the aircraft you've listed.
Original post by Drewski
Be careful with those titles. The one you've quoted doesn't relate to the aircraft you've listed.

I was just saying it's awesome they've opened up WSO again, unrelated to my answers..

I was filing in the blanks at the bottom of her post in which she talked about aircraft and such.
Reply 7
I was just saying it's awesome they've opened up WSO again, unrelated to my answers..

I was filing in the blanks at the bottom of her post in which she talked about aircraft and such.

Again. That's not the role. I know it's not a huge difference (in sound) between WSO and WSOp, but there's a very real and significant difference in the roles and their availability.
Original post by Drewski
Again. That's not the role. I know it's not a huge difference (in sound) between WSO and WSOp, but there's a very real and significant difference in the roles and their availability.

What don't you understand, I KNOW there's a difference between Weapon Systems OFFICER and OPERATOR. I'm saying it's awesome that they've opened up recruiting for WSO(fficers) again.

Then in an unrelated note I'm finishing off OP's post about the aircraft that WSOP's operate.
What don't you understand, I KNOW there's a difference between Weapon Systems OFFICER and OPERATOR. I'm saying it's awesome that they've opened up recruiting for WSO(fficers) again.

Then in an unrelated note I'm finishing off OP's post about the aircraft that WSOP's operate.

Don't get snotty with other posters, you may want their help at some point. Some and many are ex. or current Forces.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

I refer you to Ikky's post from earlier in the thread:

Original post by Ikaruss
WSO is a Commissioned role but there is no direct entry from civvy street.

If there's no direct entry from civvy street, there is no way the role is open.
There is also no mention of the role on the RAF careers site.

And, fwiw, there are some inaccuracies in your aircraft list.
(edited 7 years ago)
I didn't know they'd opened up WSO again, awesome stuff.

Thanks man!
I write WSO constantly out of habit, as its the only role you can actually apply for so I'm sure majority of people know what everyone's going on about.
Thanks man!
I write WSO constantly out of habit, as its the only role you can actually apply for so I'm sure majority of people know what everyone's going on about.

Well don't - the role you can apply for is WSOp! Weapons Systems Operator (WSOp) is the NCO role and is open. Weapons Systems Officer (WSO) is the officer role and is only available for serving personnel. Don't write WSO when you are talking about WSOp, they are very different things.
Thanks man!

WSO's were the lads in the back of the Tornados but they're kind of going out of style nowadays, however show some flair and charisma in your OASC and basic and have a word with your highers about getting a commission and you technically could walk into the WSO role from civvie street as I hear recruitment is opened up slightly again. When I took my CBAT tests I got results back for both WSOP and WSO so one can only presume... but don't hold your breath, it wouldn't however be the same as it once was so no fast jet etc, you'd essentially be the OC of a bunch of other WSOP's in the back of a chinook or the back of a sentry if you got streamed EW etc etc. I do feel like you're applying for WSOp however, and as much as I dislike agreeing with people on this site you really should make sure you know the difference!

Where did you hear this? They've opened up ab initio Nav training again?

Be careful not to over-play your hand giving out advice on TSR - many of the people who you 'dislike agreeing with' are on the inside of this conversation :wink:
Original post by threeportdrift
Where did you hear this? They've opened up ab initio Nav training again?

Be careful not to over-play your hand giving out advice on TSR - many of the people who you 'dislike agreeing with' are on the inside of this conversation :wink:

As I said, the *navigator* role is becoming obsolete with the GR4. According to Cranwell when I had a word with them about it and asked why I was tested for WSO, they're being trained up as officers commanding a group of WSOps, and I can only presume the RAF requires a set amount of WSOs recruited regardless of them having no aircraft to operate just in case.. When I asked at the end of my interview about commissions they said due to requirements there's a good chance I could apply and walk into commission straight out of my OCU.

I'm not intimidated by you or anyone else "on the inside of this conversation" bunch of has-beens and deemed medically unfits with no current knowledge besides what the selection process in 1985 was like.
WSO's were the lads in the back of the Tornados but they're kind of going out of style nowadays, however show some flair and charisma in your OASC and basic and have a word with your highers about getting a commission and you technically could walk into the WSO role from civvie street as I hear recruitment is opened up slightly again. When I took my CBAT tests I got results back for both WSOP and WSO so one can only presume... but don't hold your breath, it wouldn't however be the same as it once was so no fast jet etc, you'd essentially be the OC of a bunch of other WSOP's in the back of a chinook or the back of a sentry if you got streamed EW etc etc. I do feel like you're applying for WSOp however, and as much as I dislike agreeing with people on this site you really should make sure you know the difference!

If one is to be pedantic, you wouldn't be OC of a bunch of WSOps in the back of a Chinook.
IIRC, WSO's were on chinooks in the front seat alongside the Captain Pilot, however I believe the role (as in WSO in general) peetered out and it was a two Pilots who then manned the front along with two WSOp Crewman in the back.

WSO's weren't only in the back of Tornados, whereby also Nimrods, Sentinels, C130K's (as a Nav) etc.
As I said, the *navigator* role is becoming obsolete with the GR4. According to Cranwell when I had a word with them about it and asked why I was tested for WSO, they're being trained up as officers commanding a group of WSOps, and I can only presume the RAF requires a set amount of WSOs recruited regardless of them having no aircraft to operate just in case.. When I asked at the end of my interview about commissions they said due to requirements there's a good chance I could apply and walk into commission straight out of my OCU.

I'm not intimidated by you or anyone else "on the inside of this conversation" bunch of has-beens and deemed medically unfits with no current knowledge besides what the selection process in 1985 was like.

I'd be very careful what you say as people also 'monitor' such forums

Most users using this forum are either current or only just 'ex' Mil, so I'd take their advice and have done and will continue to do so. Of course things change, however, with your attitude towards other users - I'd learn to just respect other users posts.

Good luck with your 3rd attempt at the initial entry tests.

PS; I know of a few candidates who were made PMU and were mortified, so I wouldn't go waving that comment around either as its VERY disrespectful.

Change your attitude, mate.

Quick Reply

Latest