The Student Room Group

OCR geology unit 5 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by roberto1233
what did people shade and circle on the question that asked for one interambulacral plate, i shaded one whole strip then changed my mind and did a singular plate on one of the strips?

Yeah I put a single plate since it asked for a interambulacral plate. The entire strip is the interambulacral area.
Reply 61
Original post by savingwonderland
I put replacement and pyritisation for graptolites, couldnt have been carbonisation as they have no carbon in them.. skeleton is formed from scleroprotein which is why they're preserved below the CCD

that is completely wrong! for a fossil to undergo carbonisation it does not need to contain carbon, it is just the process of compaction with volatiles other than carbon being removed ! it has been in several mark schemes that graptolites can be preserved through carbonisation
Great paper but I didn't like the half-life question. It's funny how people write the last two questions as essays when you can get full marks by bullet pointing which is much quiker and is more efficient. What did you guys put on the last echinoid question?
Original post by Kody Marley
Great paper but I didn't like the half-life question. It's funny how people write the last two questions as essays when you can get full marks by bullet pointing which is much quiker and is more efficient. What did you guys put on the last echinoid question?

Is that the one where you had to give evidence on the diagrams that show their mode of life?
Original post by Vikingninja
Is that the one where you had to give evidence on the diagrams that show their mode of life?

Yeah. I said something about the anterior fasciole and how it has to be close to the mouth to allow the cilia to direct currents towards it. And I said something about the mouth needing to be far from the posterior to prevent mixing of freshwater and wastewater (from the anus)
Yeah. I said something about the anterior fasciole and how it has to be close to the mouth to allow the cilia to direct currents towards it. And I said something about the mouth needing to be far from the posterior to prevent mixing of freshwater and wastewater (from the anus)

Pretty sure there were no fasciole's shown on the diagram.
Pretty sure there were no fasciole's shown on the diagram.

There are not diagrams of fascioles in the textbook either and yet they are labelled. Don't get upset that you probably didn't write the correct answer. Anyway, it wasn't asking for us to examine the diagram, it was asking us to interpret the table of values and conclude why the distance between the anterior and mouth reduced over time.
(edited 7 years ago)
There are not diagrams of fascioles in the textbook either and yet they are labelled. Don't get upset that you probably didn't write the correct answer. Anyway, it wasn't asking for us to examine the diagram, it was asking us to interpret the table of values and conclude why the distance between the anterior and mouth reduced over time.

That wasn't the question I was talking about, the last echinoid question was of an regular and irregular echinoid and you had to give two things on the diagram for each that show their mode of life.
Reply 68
Original post by Pablo Picasso
why wasn't it nektonic

didn't have a large glabella for floatation so couldn't be nektonic
Reply 69
That wasn't the question I was talking about, the last echinoid question was of an regular and irregular echinoid and you had to give two things on the diagram for each that show their mode of life.

I put spines for protection and anus on top side so currents take away waste and for irregular i put heart shaped for easy burrowing and can't remember the other feature
Original post by 12lowww
I put spines for protection and anus on top side so currents take away waste and for irregular i put heart shaped for easy burrowing and can't remember the other feature

My answer was a bit strange and I don't think I'll get all 4 (or 2 whatever it was) marks for it because I said two twice I think.

Put for the regular echinoid that it scavenged because its method of movement was using tube feet and spines so would be too slow to hunt and I think I put the spines would make it difficult to burrow so it would've been benthonic epifaunal. Again not sure what exactly I put for the second point.

Irregular echinoids I also put about it being heart shaped, I also said that the lack of spines apart from on the plastron made it easier to burrow.

Original post by 12lowww
didn't have a large glabella for floatation so couldn't be nektonic

Did you put it was a burrower?
Reply 71
My answer was a bit strange and I don't think I'll get all 4 (or 2 whatever it was) marks for it because I said two twice I think.

Put for the regular echinoid that it scavenged because its method of movement was using tube feet and spines so would be too slow to hunt and I think I put the spines would make it difficult to burrow so it would've been benthonic epifaunal. Again not sure what exactly I put for the second point.

Irregular echinoids I also put about it being heart shaped, I also said that the lack of spines apart from on the plastron made it easier to burrow.

Did you put it was a burrower?

i put the trilobite as a epifaunal benthonic, firstly it has no inflated glabella and also it had many plurons so many legs used for walking
Original post by 12lowww
i put the trilobite as a epifaunal benthonic, firstly it has no inflated glabella and also it had many plurons so many legs used for walking

I put it was a burrower because of its eye stalks.
Reply 73
I put it was a burrower because of its eye stalks.

burrowers tended to lack eyes or have very small eyes due to living very deep and burrowing in sediment, saying that you could be right but i didn't see any large head used for a digging aid or sensory pits that i can remember
Original post by 12lowww
burrowers tended to lack eyes or have very small eyes due to living very deep and burrowing in sediment, saying that you could be right but i didn't see any large head used for a digging aid or sensory pits that i can remember

Yeah it was a weird one, it looked like a weird type where the eyes were above the sediment whilst it was within it.
Reply 75
i couldn't work out the question asking why the test grew bigger on a irregular echinoid and why the mouth moved closer to the centre i ended up putting for more efficient feeding but can't remember what i put for test size increasing
Original post by 12lowww
i couldn't work out the question asking why the test grew bigger on a irregular echinoid and why the mouth moved closer to the centre i ended up putting for more efficient feeding but can't remember what i put for test size increasing

I put about it being the evolution from being a regular to irregular echinoid though they were all forms of irregular ones. The earliest ones had mouths rather close to the centre of the oral surface (distance from anterior was nearly the length of the test), they also became more elongate than regular echinoids in their heart shape.
Reply 77
I put about it being the evolution from being a regular to irregular echinoid though they were all forms of irregular ones. The earliest ones had mouths rather close to the centre of the oral surface (distance from anterior was nearly the length of the test), they also became more elongate than regular echinoids in their heart shape.

was a weird question, personally i found the paper harder than previous ones but we'll see
Original post by 12lowww
was a weird question, personally i found the paper harder than previous ones but we'll see

Yeah I found that it involved a lot more applying to further detail than other past papers, didn't like question 6 and 8. Did you extend the graph?
Reply 79
Yeah I found that it involved a lot more applying to further detail than other past papers, didn't like question 6 and 8. Did you extend the graph?

Yh i extended the graph which didn't make sense to me so OCRs mistake will hopefully mean we just get the marks if we got the three points correct instead of 4

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending