The Student Room Group

Medics - what do you make of the pay summary?

Hey guys

So I'm graduating next year and will start working as a JD. I've been reading the new pay summary and would love to know your take on it, as well as ask some questions

- Whats this new Guardian of Safe Working Hours? Sounds like something out of Harry Potter. Do they get extra £ if we work longer too? Seems a bit dodgy/counter productive IMO

- I know it varies, but how many weekends do you tend to work as a JD say in general medicine? It would be nice to know the average to see which weekend allowance banding I might fall into

- Has the locum pay been cut? I make more money than that as a private tutor...

http://www.nhsemployers.org/~/media/Employers/Documents/Need%20to%20know/Indicative%20Pay%20summary_June%202016.pdf
Original post by *Dreamer*

- Whats this new Guardian of Safe Working Hours? Sounds like something out of Harry Potter. Do they get extra £ if we work longer too? Seems a bit dodgy/counter productive IMO

Before, if you had concerns about your hours you would request hours monitoring and if that found high hours you sometimes got your pay increased out more staff hired. Now instead you report to a guardian (probably a consultant). I'm not sure how exactly it will work but the consensus seems to be that they've changed it to make it harder for us to complain about the incredibly long hours we're going to have to work to hold the NHS together over the new few years.

- I know it varies, but how many weekends do you tend to work as a JD say in general medicine? It would be nice to know the average to see which weekend allowance banding I might fall into

Highly dependent. I dunno, 1 in 4? Maybe 1 in 2 on a&e/ITU. Plus nights too at about half that frequency at a guess?

- Has the locum pay been cut? I make more money than that as a private tutor...

Yes. Hospitals can't really hire locums any more. They either leave the spot blank or cave to pay the higher rate at the last minute.
Reply 2
The locum pay has been slashed! But as an F1 you can still expect an extra 100 quid for picking up a shift. The beauty of starting now is that you have nothing to compare it to, Im in the same boat. nobody really knows at this point how the guardian is gunna work out, its supposed to make things easier, but time will tell! As far as the basic salary goes I think its good for F1s, but were gunna be pay protected now so you definitely wont lose out either way
Reply 3
So I read the BMA FAQs which I think has definitely clarified things for me

https://www.bma.org.uk/collective-voice/influence/key-negotiations/terms-and-conditions/junior-doctor-contract-negotiations/new-contract-faqs

I guess what seems promising is that (supposedly) any money saved as a result of the new contract goes back into education for doctors etc etc

The basic salary has increased and there are still increased allowances for weekends and out of hours which ontop of everything else is still a positive I guess

I guess what has put me off a bit is the locum shifts, as I probably would have been quite keen to do as many as possible to save for some future plans that I have. With regards to the referendum that is taking place - is this for BMA members to decide whether to accept or reject the new contract? Which way are you leaning and why?
Reply 4
Original post by Zakadoh
The locum pay has been slashed! But as an F1 you can still expect an extra 100 quid for picking up a shift. The beauty of starting now is that you have nothing to compare it to, Im in the same boat. nobody really knows at this point how the guardian is gunna work out, its supposed to make things easier, but time will tell! As far as the basic salary goes I think its good for F1s, but were gunna be pay protected now so you definitely wont lose out either way

If you are starting next summer though (like myself) the current terms won't apply. And will F1s starting this year have to change to new terms in October?
Reply 5
Original post by nexttime
Before, if you had concerns about your hours you would request hours monitoring and if that found high hours you sometimes got your pay increased out more staff hired. Now instead you report to a guardian (probably a consultant). I'm not sure how exactly it will work but the consensus seems to be that they've changed it to make it harder for us to complain about the incredibly long hours we're going to have to work to hold the NHS together over the new few years.

Highly dependent. I dunno, 1 in 4? Maybe 1 in 2 on a&e/ITU. Plus nights too at about half that frequency at a guess?

Yes. Hospitals can't really hire locums any more. They either leave the spot blank or cave to pay the higher rate at the last minute.

Hey nexttime, how are you ? :smile: Whereabouts in your training are you up to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending