The Student Room Group

WJEC C4 17th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I found that decent. Some tough ones on there definitely.

I reckon ~55 for an A.

Binomial I got 1/10 for the 2nd bit.

The one with Tan and cot I got 56.9 degrees, 60 something and 1 hundred and something.

For the point P at (1,9) I got 9/2 and 3/2 as values for P

Vector value P I got 10.

The diff equation I messed up part c completely. That was tough.
Reply 21
Original post by Jack1066

I reckon ~55 for an A.

The one with Tan and cot I got 56.9 degrees, 60 something and 1 hundred and something.

Vector value P I got 10.

For diff eqns I had time t = 10years for part c.

I found the implicit differentiation very difficult, where you had to find the two coordinates where the tangent to the line =-2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hydeman
How did people find it?

I really enjoyed it! Especially compared to what I was expecting. The only question I couldn't do was the second part to the implicit differentiation (where the gradient was -2)
Original post by Sznsnsn
I thought it was good apart from the second part to question 3 and 4

Easier or harder than last year? :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by Hydeman
How did people find it?

I found it hard but I think I've done okay in general. I used the factor theorem to solve the tan x cubic question - I think it worked out okay
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by Jack1066

I reckon ~55 for an A.

Vector value P I got 10.

I got these! For part c I had the time to be 10 years
Reply 26
Preferred my 2nd choice uni anyway QQ
Original post by DragonRider17
I really enjoyed it! Especially compared to what I was expecting. The only question I couldn't do was the second part to the implicit differentiation (where the gradient was -2)

Yeah, that was tough. I ran out of time, but I reckon I'll get maybe two marks on that since I set dy/dx equal to - 2, worked out x^2 in terms of y and then attempted to enter that back into the equation for C.

I also couldn't do some parts of question 4 (I now realise that you had to solve for tan x not x, so I mucked that up completely thinking I was trying to factorise to get x instead of tan x).

For the last bit on the vectors question, did you get the dot product as non-zero, and therefore said that they weren't perpendicular?
Original post by Hydeman
Yeah, that was tough. I ran out of time, but I reckon I'll get maybe two marks on that since I set dy/dx equal to - 2, worked out x^2 in terms of y and then attempted to enter that back into the equation for C.

I also couldn't do some parts of question 4 (I now realise that you had to solve for tan x not x, so I mucked that up completely thinking I was trying to factorise to get x instead of tan x).

For the last bit on the vectors question, did you get the dot product as non-zero, and therefore said that they weren't perpendicular?

Yes I did! And all my friends who sat the exam also got them non-perpednicular, so I'm very sure that's right
Original post by 98matt
I found it hard but I think I've done okay in general. I used the factor theorem to solve the tan x cubic question - I think it worked out okay
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm kicking myself about that now. Perfectly good marks down the drain, all because I thought I was looking for x, not tanx...

Might get like 58/59 on that. Hopefully C3 boundaries are generous...
Reply 30
The -2 gradient spat out y=0 and x^2 = -4y^3.

You ignored the x value and plugged in y=0 into original equation, that gave you x^4= 16 which is plus/minus 2 so coordinates (-2,0) (2,0)

I think that was correct.

Agreed though, tough paper but hopefully the lower boundaries push my grades up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm probably alone in thinking that was harder/as hard as than last year's paper...

Did anyone get weird fractional coordinates for P in question 5? I got the two values of P as 9/2 and 3/2.
Reply 32
Original post by Hydeman
I'm probably alone in thinking that was harder/as hard as than last year's paper...

Did anyone get weird fractional coordinates for P in question 5? I got the two values of P as 9/2 and 3/2.

Yeah I got the same. Tbh apart from the proof by contradiction question the whole paper was harder than last year I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thad33
The -2 gradient spat out y=0 and x^2 = -4y^3.

You ignored the x value and plugged in y=0 into original equation, that gave you x^4= 16 which is plus/minus 2 so coordinates (-2,0) (2,0)

I think that was correct.

Agreed though, tough paper but hopefully the lower boundaries push my grades up.

Did you find it easier or harder than last year's paper? :3
Reply 34
My guesses for boundaries based on this:
100ums 64-65 / 75
80ums 54/75
70ums 48/75

I think it will be slighly higher than last year's simply because we had more hard past paper qs to prepare. Similar to the difficultly of June 2013 imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by Hydeman
Did you find it easier or harder than last year's paper? :3

I'm double posting but yeah I do.

They threw in a lot of weird follow on questions and made things tough with the powers higher than 2 so factorising etc was a *****.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thad33
Yeah I got the same. Tbh apart from the proof by contradiction question the whole paper was harder than last year I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

I found the proof harder as well - I ended up with x^4 - 2x^2 + 1 and couldn't get much done beyond that. Oh well. Hoping for lower boundaries as well or the A* is as good as gone.
Reply 37
Original post by 98matt
My guesses for boundaries based on this:
100ums 64-65 / 75
80ums 54/75
70ums 48/75

I think it will be slighly higher than last year's simply because we had more hard past paper qs to prepare. Similar to the difficultly of June 2013 imo

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the harder questions last year weren't all that applicable to this exam. Hopefully that means the grade boundaries stay similar to last years.

I'd guess 63 for 100%

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thad33
I think the harder questions last year weren't all that applicable to this exam. Hopefully that means the grade boundaries stay similar to last years.

I'd guess 63 for 100%

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you think the 8 marks for part a) of the trig question would be split? Three marks for showing and then five for the rest?
Reply 39
Original post by Hydeman
I found the proof harder as well - I ended up with x^4 - 2x^2 + 1 and couldn't get much done beyond that. Oh well. Hoping for lower boundaries as well or the A* is as good as gone.

I got the same but you factorise it to get x^2(x^2 - 2) + 1 is less than zero so you just have to explain that all the values are positive so it must be greater than zero hence the contradiction

Can't remember exactly what I put but I probably lost a mark somewhere

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending