The Student Room Group

Edexcel IGCSE Physics Paper 2 Unofficial Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
bro, beta particles can travel 50 METRES in air (1c)
and also, when an electron is ejected, the PROTON number increases by ONE (1d)
Original post by Handwritingman
Which ones?
I'll try and help since I think I got all right other than last question where I started talking about radiation and conduction by accident!

I'm not actually sure but the marks don't add up :curious:
there might've been some more questions about the hammer or the wheelbarrow?
Original post by EtoM8

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/ocr_gateway_pre_2011/living_future/4_nuclear_radiation1.shtml
Original post by EtoM8

proton number is the same thing as atomic number
and are you sure about 1c?? where did you get that from?
For the Force that is needed for the wheelbarrow question i got 22.1...can someone confirm?
Reply 45
I'm pleased the beta particles / travel distance is in debate because it stumped me at the time. Seems different answers depending on what you used to revise?

Another within the wheelbarrow questions was along the lines of what was force F? (Can't remember the details, sorry!)
Original post by defenestrated
I'm not actually sure but the marks don't add up :curious:
there might've been some more questions about the hammer or the wheelbarrow?

Yep there were 3 on first page- Stating equation with was moment = force times distance and then you had to work out a basic two marker but I forgot the answer
Original post by aelliot
I'm pleased the beta particles / travel distance is in debate because it stumped me at the time. Seems different answers depending on what you used to revise?

Another within the wheelbarrow questions was along the lines of what was force F? (Can't remember the details, sorry!)

201-202
Please comment answers (and question numbers/marks for the question if you remember) :biggrin:

this is just what I remember and I'm probably wrong so pls correct me

1. a. Alpha (1)
b. Alpha (1)
c. 50cm (1)
d. Atomic number increases by 1 (1)
e. Light (1)

2. a. Arrow going from north to south on two different field lines (2)
b. Arrow pointing from the wire to the left (2)
c. Straight and regularly spaced lines between the magnets (uniform field) and arrows going from north to south (2)

Definition of pitch:
The frequency of a wave, the higher the frequency the higher the pitch (2)

Equipment for experiment:
Ruler/tape measure (1)
Oscilloscope (1)

To improve the experiment (3):
1. Do repeats and calculate an average
2. Avoid parallax error
3. Avoid zero error

Static electricity:
a. Friction causes electrons to be transferred which have a negative charge (2)
b. i. charge = current x time (1)
ii. 0.002 A (2)
c. The guy still gets a shock because he is electrically charged and the button is made out of metal, which is a conductor, so the electrons are attracted to the charge which causes a shock (3)

Compass experiment:
Place a bar magnet on a piece of paper and a plotting compass at one pole, mark with a dot where the arrow points to, move the compass to that point, and carry on until the compass is at the other pole. Join up all the dots with a curved line and repeat this with different starting points for the compass. (3)

Digital signal:
a. It's digital because there are only two values on the graph, 0 and 9 (1)
b. You can increase the amount of information being sent by quantisation and increasing bandwith (2)

Energy question:
a. work = force x distance
5460 joules (2)
b. 5460 joules (1) (has to be the same answer as what you got for a)

Momentum:
a. momentum = mass x velocity (1)
b. 1.55 kgm/s (2)
c. There was an equal and opposite force - make reference to either Newton's third law or the principle of conservation of momentum (2)
d. Pressure = force/area
The force is the same but the area in contact with the wood is smaller than the area in contact with the hammer, making the pressure larger (2)

Moments:
a. the X should be above where the weight acts, roughly centre (1)
b. 201N or 202N (4)

Convection current:
Air is heated, particles gain kinetic energy and become further apart, it's less dense than the surrounding air so it rises, cooler air from outside moves in to replace it (4)

Evaporation:
Kinetic energy is not evenly distributed throughout the water, the particles with the most kinetic energy will evaporate first, this reduces the overall kinetic energy of the water and kinetic energy is directly proportional to kelvin temperature (3)

moments b)
Equation = force x perpendicular distance from pivot (1)
Reply 49
there are like 7 marks missing forgot what the questions were tho😬
I'm surprised this markscheme took a while to appear. Was expecting one as soon as exam had finished
Original post by Amar Joshi
For the Force that is needed for the wheelbarrow question i got 22.1...can someone confirm?

I remember getting that number for something
do you know how many marks it was?
Original post by pk789
for the charge = current x time question did anyone get:

75/1000= 0.075s

0.0017/0.075= 0.0226

=0.023A

I wrote that!
I remember getting that number for something
do you know how many marks it was?

Yeah I got that
For the 4 mark question on moments, does anybody know how you would get each mark?
Reply 55
Original post by Cheekymonkey2311
For the 4 mark question on moments, does anybody know how you would get each mark?

All I know is you get 1 for saying clockwise moment=anticlockwise moment and I think you would possibly get one for working out the moment at point F so whatever mass was x 1.4. I think that was 658

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I've got around 132/180 overall. do you think that will be an A*?
Original post by Amar Joshi

I thought it was -22.1 because change in momentum was -1.55?
Original post by PlinyTheElder
I think I've got around 132/180 overall. do you think that will be an A*?

Should be. Last year's boundaries were around that (135) and paper 1 was by far the hardest paper ever made by edexcel for physics igcse.
Reply 59
Original post by deardood
Should be. Last year's boundaries were around that (135) and paper 1 was by far the hardest paper ever made by edexcel for physics igcse.

I hope youre right

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending