The Student Room Group

Why isn't the murder of Jo Cox being broadcasted as a TERRORIST ATTACK?

So, as we all know Mrs Cox, 41, was shot and stabbed in the street as she headed to a scheduled constituency surgery on Thursday. A 52 year old man has been arrested.

So my question to all you guys is why isn't the media broadcasting this as a terrorist attack? We all remember the murder of Lee Rigby and also the Leyton tube station knife attack.

As you all know the attackers in the above mentioned attacks were Muslim. So, is it that for a attack to be shown as a terrorist attack the attacker has to be a muslim.

Also I dont know if this is true but apparantly the scum who murdered Mrs Cox shouted 'Britain First'. Can't that be related to what the muslims shout 'Allah Akbar'??

Scroll to see replies

Given that the definition of terrorism is... the unofficial or unauthorized use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims...

I believe the murder of Mrs Cox should be labelled as terrorism.
Reply 2
Original post by Maddass911
So, as we all know Mrs Cox, 41, was shot and stabbed in the street as she headed to a scheduled constituency surgery on Thursday. A 52 year old man has been arrested.

So my question to all you guys is why isn't the media broadcasting this as a terrorist attack? We all remember the murder of Lee Rigby and also the Leyton tube station knife attack.

As you all know the attackers in the above mentioned attacks were Muslim. So, is it that for a attack to be shown as a terrorist attack the attacker has to be a muslim.

Also I dont know if this is true but apparantly the scum who murdered Mrs Cox shouted 'Britain First'. Can't that be related to what the muslims shout 'Allah Akbar'??
umm isnt it obvious, the man wasnt muslim so therefore it wasnt a terror act. The media are corrupt lol
I agree. It is okay to disagree with someone's views as specially if they are an MP. It's natural not to agree with everything everyone says; it doesn't mean you have to murder them. That's terrorism.
Well to give you a mainstream excuse, it's simply because he doesn't have links to a certain religion :biggrin:
Reply 5

The eyewitness has said he cannot be sure but the accused said either "Britain First" or "put Britain first".

If it was the latter, then no, I don't believe you can equate that.
Because of the conflicting stories of why the attack occurred.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If he did yell ''Britain first'' and was motivated by far-right politics it was a terror attack, we have to be sure first.
Original post by DiddyDec
Because of the conflicting stories of why the attack occurred.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's more than one motive?

Let's be honest,if it was a Muslim they would've already declared it a terrorist attack. Anyway wasn't this guy politically motivated and part of right wing extremist groups?
(edited 7 years ago)
Because they were connected to ISIS?
Reply 10
Unfortunately, the media would not go far if they don't call Muslim attacks terrorism.

And this was terrorism but sorry it was not a Muslim so nope I don't see no terrorism. There you go.
Original post by queen-bee
There's more than one motive?

Let's be honest,if it was a Muslim they would've already declared it a terrorist attack. Anyway wasn't this guy politically motivated and part of right wing extremist groups?

Reports have recently come out that the MP was breaking up a fight.
Original post by DiddyDec
Reports have recently come out that the MP was breaking up a fight.

Say what? :confused:
Here's an example, relevant to the classification of terrorism.

The media classify the Orlando Shootings as a terrorist attack, because the perpetrator was a Muslim.But what about the Charleston Church Shootings? It was a racial attack on African-Americans yet the media doesn't classify this as a terrorist attack. Why? The perpetrator wasn't Muslim, he was White. Both of these attacks are orchestrated to achieve a political aim, which follows its formal definition. Why was THIS not the case with the latter?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14

You sound thrilled about the whole thing. 'Finally! A non-muslim is a terrorist, too! OMG!'. Get a grip.
Original post by Drewski
The eyewitness has said he cannot be sure but the accused said either "Britain First" or "put Britain first".

Of course you can. Saying 'put Britain first' is clearly indicative of a politically held opinion and belief.
We can't just call every nut that kills someone (be the victim a politician or otherwise) a terrorist.

Perhaps if the attack was carried out or sanctioned by a political group (like the IRA or ISIS), and particularly if the attack wasn't an isolated killing of a specific individual, I would be more inclined to call it a terrorist attack. But for now it just looks like some lone basket case assassinating an MP for reasons yet unknown.

Terrorism involves the criminal and spectacular use of force to intimidate the public and or/authorities to achieve political goals. We don't know this much about the attacker yet.
Maybe because the guy who killed her wasn't a terrorist.
Original post by Drewski

Both are political statements and it is very likely that someone who shouts "put Britain first" before stabbing someone or getting in some kind of violence holds fascist esque views. You don;t have to make much of a leap.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Bornblue
Of course you can. Saying 'put Britain first' is clearly indicative of a politically held opinion and belief.

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Both are political statements and it is very likely that someone who shouts "put Britain first" before stabbing someone or getting in some kind of violence holds fascist esque views. You don;t have to make much of a leap.

No, fully agree it's not a huge leap, but the direct connotations of do alter somewhat depending on which phrase was uttered - but we'll almost certainly never know which it actually was.

It has since emerged that he was a member of various far right organisations around the world, but over a huge number of years, as well as being in treatment for mental health.

Potentially a number of influences, but given what's emerged so far (hefty pinch of salt with this statement, obviously) I'd be very surprised if this was, as some seem to think, a 'directed' attack.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending