The Student Room Group

Documents prove Cox shooter was far right extremist

Scroll to see replies

So some unknown website written by unknown writers claiming that him joining a far right organisation in the 90's had something to do with the death of an MP who intervened in a fight between him and another person, which the neighbours, and the police themselves said had no political agenda at all.

Right let me believe what you said, Brietbart are really a disgrace for publishing a statement made by the WEST YORKSHIRE POLICE
Original post by Thutmose-III
Who's we? I've never said any such thing in the past. I'm a leave voter and euroskeptic.

But it is completely unclear why members of the UKIP right seem to feel personally offended by information that links this man to far right groups (which I personally would not claim UKIP is) and why they are so desperate to obfuscate that.

Because it's alienating the entire right.
*terrorist
Far-right freedom fighter
This guy was just a moron who would have been a killer regardless of his motive that's the difference, he had been harassing and stalking this woman it seemed for a while and he acted in the same way. People who are quick to ridiculously link this nut case to leave voters are just as ignorant as people that think all muslims are having wet dreams about cutting infidel heads off
Original post by AnnieGakusei
Can we please all take a moment to acknowledge that "anti-radicalisation" programmes in schools etc. seriously need to recognise this kind of extremism?

Why?

TSR no longer has the quality of debates it used to
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Are they?

Lunatic implies some kind of mental abnormality. Like being a psychopath or in some way not in control of your mental faculties etc.

To just say these people are lunatics allows them to get off the hook and take away responsibility from their appalling actions. It also ignores the fact that many people have mental problem of various degrees yet still do not murder people. So it is also insulting to those people. You can be of sound mind and decide to kill someone for political reasons. It's entirely normal in times of war etc.

We aren't at war though and mental illness is absolutely no excuse. Fact is he killed someone.
And so what if most people who have mental problems don't murder people? How does that in anyway change the fact that some do? If a psychopath murders someone, we state as such. We don't pretend like that had no bearing on the murder to avoid insulting someone, with say, Autism.

You can't lump all mental illness together like that, to do so is extremely ignorant.
Original post by Sun_Bear
Neither do we right wing. Cant even remember the last murder committed by a neo-nazi in this country.

I'm surprised you haven't heard of David Copeland. Murdered three people and injured dozens using nail bombs in a short reign of terror.
Original post by Zargabaath
We aren't at war though and mental illness is absolutely no excuse. Fact is he killed someone.
And so what if most people who have mental problems don't murder people? How does that in anyway change the fact that some do? If a psychopath murders someone, we state as such. We don't pretend like that had no bearing on the murder to avoid insulting someone, with say, Autism.

You can't lump all mental illness together like that, to do so is extremely ignorant.

I deliberate didn't lump all mentally ill people together. I also said many people have mental illness and do not go round killing people. It's like stepping on egg shells.

The crux of my issue is that in this case whether the terrorist is of the fascist right a lot of the media, press hacks etc refer to the perpetrator as a "lone nutter" which white washes the actual political motivations which in this case there does seem to be a strong case he was a neo-fascist. When a Islamic terrorist (who may have mental problems) the same media, press hacks etc always focus on the ideology and not the mental illness.
Original post by Quantex
I'm surprised you haven't heard of David Copeland. Murdered three people and injured dozens using nail bombs in a short reign of terror.

lol i'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not but just goes to prove my point of how little a problem far-right terrorism in this country is if the example is from 17 years ago.

Edit: i was barely alive when this incident took place.
(edited 7 years ago)
I deliberate didn't lump all mentally ill people together. I also said many people have mental illness and do not go round killing people. It's like stepping on egg shells.

The crux of my issue is that in this case whether the terrorist is of the fascist right a lot of the media, press hacks etc refer to the perpetrator as a "lone nutter" which white washes the actual political motivations which in this case there does seem to be a strong case he was a neo-fascist. When a Islamic terrorist (who may have mental problems) the same media, press hacks etc always focus on the ideology and not the mental illness.

Another difference is in this case, he seems to have acted alone. This supports the 'lone-wolf nut' accusation. With muslim terrorists, many many attacks have been carried out as a group which points more towards a group belief rather than individual nuts who just so happen to find each other.
Police reporting that Nazi regalia has been found at his house as well as far right literature and a handbook bought from a neo-Nazi group on how to build a gun.

Of course though he wasn't far right. He was just mentally ill like all far right people who commit terrorist attacks. It was probably the remain camp wasn't it?
Another difference is in this case, he seems to have acted alone. This supports the 'lone-wolf nut' accusation. With muslim terrorists, many many attacks have been carried out as a group which points more towards a group belief rather than individual nuts who just so happen to find each other.

That isn't actually true. The lee rigby killing was perpetrated by a "lone wolf". As was the Orlando shooting. Just like what has happened here. They get inspired by their respective politics but they are not "foot soldiers" of either ISIS or Britain First even though they may or may not kill in the name of that ideology. It can be as isolated as reading internet articles and books. Then deciding to go kill people in the name of your politics without being a member of any terrorist group.
(edited 7 years ago)

I'm not the media and I specifically said most terrorists (of this nature, in western countries) have underlying mental health issues. Including Islamic terrorists. That in no way excuses them, or lessens their actions. I'm not white either, I have no pro-white agenda before someone accuses me of racism. Nor am I right-wing. Of course he had political motivations, of course he was a far-right terrorist.

I find it strange that the hard-left are getting so butthurt about his ideology not being blamed though. They're usually the ones complaining that Islam is being blamed in most terrorist attacks.
That isn't actually true. The lee rigby killing was perpetrated by a "lone wolf". As was the Orlando shooting. Just like what has happened hear. They get inspired by their respective politics but they are not "foot soldiers" of either ISIS or Britain First even though they may or may not kill in the name of that ideology.

I said many, not all. Look at 7/7 bombings, paris attacks, the attacks in india. All coordinated attacks by groups of people. Lee rigby was also killed by more than 1 person.
(edited 7 years ago)
lol i'm sure sure if this is sarcasm or not but just goes to prove my point of how little a problem far-right terrorism in this country is if the example is from 17 years ago.

Edit: i was barely alive when this incident took place.

No, it's not sarcasm. And I won't lol at it, there are people still living with the injuries he inflicted on them.

There has also been several incidents of far right individuals being caught with caches of explosives. While it may be less of a threat than Muslim extremism it is still a problem.

If yesterday's events are to be considered an act of terrorism, then it's the second person to die due to a terror attack in the UK this year. Neither incident had anything to do with Islam.
Original post by Quantex
No, it's not sarcasm. And I won't lol at it, there are people still living with the injuries he inflicted on them.

There has also been several incidents of far right individuals being caught with caches of explosives. While it may be less of a threat than Muslim extremism it is still a problem.

If yesterday's events are to be considered an act of terrorism, then it's the second person to die due to a terror attack in the UK this year. Neither incident had anything to do with Islam.

We need policy to target the biggest problems and it seems to be that in the EU it isn't right far-right acting in groups to blow up or gun down big groups of people every 6 months or so.
Left wingers love to point out problems with the right/far-right. Lets look at how many people the far left communists have killed over the years and its far worse...

Really? You're defending the far right on the basis of "The far left is worse"?

That's pretty much an admission you identify with the far right. Both far right and far left have killed millions.
Original post by Thutmose-III
Really? You're defending the far right on the basis of "The far left is worse"?

That's pretty much an admission you identify with the far right. Both far right and far left have killed millions.

Nah just don't like hypocritical left wingers who will throw everything at anything right-wing related but don't do anything about their own.

Because it's dangerous?

Quick Reply

Latest