The Student Room Group

Night before exam revision?

Has anyone revised and done well in an exam the night before?

I have been so stressed and been revising for resits (all 7 of them) and I have not really looked at Chem 5, Econ 3 and Econ 4, Biol 5 at all. These are all next week. starting Monday. I am going to cram revising for all of these this weekend which averages out to about half a day on each exam.... I haven't looked at these exams in over 4 months.

Any tips? Any success stories from doing something similar? I am most worried about ECON 3 and CHEM 5 ....
Reply 1
Lmfao. And this is for A2.

Good luck.
Its fairly easy for eco if you've already made your notes so you have the knowledge needed, after that its just past papers tbh.

Edexcel Eco3 is on monday so if you haven't atleast done the notes then it'll be a problem =/

(I find it fairly easy to get a B+ with only notes since multiple choice isn't really a problem for me)
Nope, never works. You need at least a whole day (12 hours) per exam for last minute revision
Reply 4
Im gonna pray i meet my med offer then ...
Reply 5
And you're an aspiring medic...? Damn. You're gonna need a lot more than prayer lol.

Best of luck - you're really going to need it.
Reply 6
Original post by soLit
Has anyone revised and done well in an exam the night before?

I have been so stressed and been revising for resits (all 7 of them) and I have not really looked at Chem 5, Econ 3 and Econ 4, Biol 5 at all. These are all next week. starting Monday. I am going to cram revising for all of these this weekend which averages out to about half a day on each exam.... I haven't looked at these exams in over 4 months.

Any tips? Any success stories from doing something similar? I am most worried about ECON 3 and CHEM 5 ....

I'm in (almost) the exact same position.... I hope we both do well! :smile:
Reply 7
Revised an exam last minute for this Monday, went really well. Revised an exam last minute for an exam today, went horribly. Analysis: it depends
Original post by eden3
And you're an aspiring medic...? Damn. You're gonna need a lot more than prayer lol.

Best of luck - you're really going to need it.

savage.
Reply 9
Original post by romansholiday
savage.

Haha - as much as I sympathise for OP he/she needs the hard cold truth.. no point in sugarcoating anything.

:smile:
Original post by eden3
Haha - as much as I sympathise for OP he/she needs the hard cold truth.. no point in sugarcoating anything.

Yeah, I think you can get away with cramming for GCSEs (which is what I'm doing atm) but for A Level I doubt you can achieve a high grade (especially for med school wtf) from cramming revision in half a day before the exam... :hoppy:
Reply 11
Yeah, I think you can get away with cramming for GCSEs (which is what I'm doing atm) but for A Level I doubt you can achieve a high grade (especially for med school wtf) from cramming revision in half a day before the exam... :hoppy:

Oh absolutely - I crammed for GCSE's and I didn't achieve lower than an A for any subject (honestly not trying to brag or anything) - and I certainly wouldn't label myself 'smart' or anything like that. GCSE's are joke in comparison to A-levels.

A-levels, however, are a completely different story. Especially A2. You need to put in a lot of revision and effort for those exams - a few months preparation at the very least. I worked my butt off just to get an A in A-level Maths.

I finished my A-levels last year though lol... man I feel old :redface:
Reply 12
Original post by eden3

Tbh it has worked for my AS's and so far at A2's, hopefully its going to pay off!
Reply 13
Original post by soLit
Tbh it has worked for my AS's and so far at A2's, hopefully its going to pay off!

Maybe you are naturally really smart and that's fine - regardless, I hope you do well and get the grades you need.

Original post by eden3
Oh absolutely - I crammed for GCSE's and I didn't achieve lower than an A for any subject (honestly not trying to brag or anything) - and I certainly wouldn't label myself 'smart' or anything like that. GCSE's are joke in comparison to A-levels.

A-levels, however, are a completely different story. Especially A2. You need to put in a lot of revision and effort for those exams - a few months preparation at the very least. I worked my butt off just to get an A in A-level Maths.

I finished my A-levels last year though lol... man I feel old :redface:

I'm gonna try and start my revision very early, even for the first year. It's like GCSEs have been a test run for my revision technique lol. I've definitely learnt my lesson... Do you have any other tips for A Levels next year? :smile:
Reply 15
I'm gonna try and start my revision very early, even for the first year. It's like GCSEs have been a test run for my revision technique lol. I've definitely learnt my lesson... Do you have any other tips for A Levels next year? :smile:

Sure

- Start making notes from the start, i.e. September, so you'll be prepared to revise properly
- Start revision in Christmas/January, just go over notes for half an hour/an hour or do practice questions every day (don't start revision in Sept lol - you're not gonna remember stuff in Sept during May/June, plus by Christmas you'll have all your notes for your unit e.g. Biology unit 1)
- Look at the spec, only learn and study for things in the spec
- Past papers past papers past papers! You'll get used to the style of questions
- Questions in exercise books
- For essay subjects, just keep practising exam technique... practising essays over and over again will eventually lead you to getting A/A*'s
- That's all I can think of off the top of my head..

Original post by eden3
Sure

- Start making notes from the start, i.e. September, so you'll be prepared to revise properly
- Start revision in Christmas/January, just go over notes for half an hour/an hour or do practice questions every day (don't start revision in Sept lol - you're not gonna remember stuff in Sept during May/June, plus by Christmas you'll have all your notes for your unit e.g. Biology unit 1)
- Look at the spec, only learn and study for things in the spec
- Past papers past papers past papers! You'll get used to the style of questions
- Questions in exercise books
- For essay subjects, just keep practising exam technique... practising essays over and over again will eventually lead you to getting A/A*'s
- That's all I can think of off the top of my head..

Thanks so much! :smile: I'm bracing myself as I'm taking Chemistry, Biology and Geography (+ EPQ)
Reply 17
Thanks so much! :smile: I'm bracing myself as I'm taking Chemistry, Biology and Geography (+ EPQ)

No problem :smile:

I heard Chemistry is very difficult - but I did do Biology myself.

With Biology, get prepared for tons of memorisation and application - and I mean loads of memorising. Past papers & memorising is the way to go for Bio, because even if you put down the correct answer it can still be marked as wrong if you don't put down what's exactly in the mark scheme (annoying, I know :lol: )

But you seem to have your head on straight, I'm sure you'll have no issues in transitioning into A-levels.

Quick Reply

Latest