The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

How did you do the last part of 11? I did i) and the inequality but i couldn't do the last part
Original post by Joshthemathmo
Could someone provide me some insight into what mark I could've gotten for STEP II:

Spoiler

Any guesses as to my mark/grade please:
3 - closest thing to a full solution I did, got the odd and even bit right at the end but not sure my reasoning was entirely correct.
4 - Proved the first inequality but not the second. Found the limits for y. Proved the y functions were equal but couldn't find theta or x.
6 - Did all of it except the mn bit at the end.
7 - Did first 3 parts but not last part, mucked about with the trig functions a bit but not sure i did anything meaningful that got me closer to the solution.
8 - Started this at the end in an attempt to scrape some more marks, did it up to proving E is approximately 2 but didn't do anymore.
12 - Did first part fine, got 1/n, 1/n(n-1) for second parts (dunno if these are actually right) and tried to do the prove the next part, kinda did but don't think i proved my proof applied to all terms in the sequence only n and (n-1). Tried to do last part but fairly confident its wrong, got something like 1+1/3!-2/4!+1/5!+1/7!-2/8!......
Original post by matthewdjones
How did you do the last part of 11? I did i) and the inequality but i couldn't do the last part

I said something like if a>b then c+a>c+b, where c,a and b are all acute, so sin(c+a)<sin(c+b). Then using the condition I got that u>v. That could be totally wrong though...
Anybody think this paper is harder or easier than usual?
Is it possible to get 1 with high 60s.
Reply 1724
Original post by EnglishMuon
If only and I can die a happy man :wink: And yea I am certain urs is much higher than you say. At the extreme minimum high 70s.

I genuinely don't think so, anywho, I'm not going to be too depressed till after STEP III - then I can moan properly if I do badly in that one as well. :tongue:
@Zacken , sorry for bothering you again, but can you guestimate how many marks I could get from question 8, where I reached to and finished the part where it wanted me to obtain E~2.
Reply 1726
Original post by smartalan73
Any guesses as to my mark/grade please:
3 - closest thing to a full solution I did, got the odd and even bit right at the end but not sure my reasoning was entirely correct.
4 - Proved the first inequality but not the second. Found the limits for y. Proved the y functions were equal but couldn't find theta or x.
6 - Did all of it except the mn bit at the end.
7 - Did first 3 parts but not last part, mucked about with the trig functions a bit but not sure i did anything meaningful that got me closer to the solution.
8 - Started this at the end in an attempt to scrape some more marks, did it up to proving E is approximately 2 but didn't do anymore.
12 - Did first part fine, got 1/n, 1/n(n-1) for second parts (dunno if these are actually right) and tried to do the prove the next part, kinda did but don't think i proved my proof applied to all terms in the sequence only n and (n-1). Tried to do last part but fairly confident its wrong, got something like 1+1/3!-2/4!+1/5!+1/7!-2/8!......

19 + 12 + 12 + 16 + 6 + 12(?) = 77+ - certainly a 1.
Reply 1727
Original post by gagafacea1
@Zacken , sorry for bothering you again, but can you guestimate how many marks I could get from question 8, where I reached to and finished the part where it wanted me to obtain E~2.

Probs 2 + 2/3 + 2 = 6/7.
Right, here's how I did. Relatively happy.

Started with Q7, mainly on the strength of having done the first four integrals of the five in past papers which was nice :-P iv took me a while, but I got a workable method after a few false starts and Wolfram agrees. Hopeful of 20 here.

None of the pure taking my fancy, I decided to do Q13 - rarely do stats normally but I could sort of see where this question was going. A nice idea, and one which I believed I polished up in about 20 minutes, again hopeful of a 20.

Then did Q10. Looked a fairly standard mechanics question, and I think it was, but my argument in the denouement of the question was a bit ramshackle but basically correct I think. Maybe lose two marks or so here.

At this point I was an hour in and had 3 fulls. The pace did not continue, sadly.

I then wasted about 10 mins going in circles on q2, followed by a fruitful bash at q1 which I think was fully right, though my proof of the intersections was strange to say the least.

Tried Q6 as an inviting DE question. Smashed out first three parts, got stuck on iv, scribbled down 'chebyshev' and moved on to greener pastures.

Went into Q7, sorted out the first few bits and then stalled on the approximations. Managed to show the error was 1/4r^4 but at that point I wanted some more applied lol.

Did q11, which I think was full but the last inequality was proven a bit weirdly, definitely not an 'explanation' but know even knows with step. (iirc my last line was tana>tanb or something?)

So I now had about 45 mins to get one more full... really didn't. Wasted another ten minutes on 2, did first two parts of 3 and bailed out (probably shouldn't have done if it was as nice as people claim), did random chunks of q4, then realised I was panicking and stared at 6iv some more. Didn't work, so I spent ten minutes checking and indeed catching a couple of silly errors.

Hopefully an S I should think if they don't lose my additional paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1729
Original post by IrrationalRoot
If it was the other way round that would be a pretty trivial theorem lol.

It's kind of trivial anyway :P
If only and I can die a happy man :wink: And yea I am certain urs is much higher than you say. At the extreme minimum high 70s.

Well done btw. One step closer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
I genuinely don't think so, anywho, I'm not going to be too depressed till after STEP III - then I can moan properly if I do badly in that one as well. :tongue:

Well just keep going and hopefully ull be surprised :smile: Im looking forwards to III actually. Normally I do my best on it and there are usually some interesting things to think about. Im sure ull do best too!
Original post by physicsmaths
Well done btw. One step closer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile: And well done to u too! Sounded like we did similar stuff for alot of the II questions from ur earlier post.
Just realised for STEP II Q1 I got the correct two intersections but idiotically drew the graphs with 4 intersections. Very disappointed now :frown:.
@Insight314 I'm really sorry for being such a bother but could you post the paper please?
Thank you :smile: And well done to u too! Sounded like we did similar stuff for alot of the II questions from ur earlier post.

Indeed I am sitting on around 90.
I just need a high 1 in III and A* AFM n i think tbat will be enough :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1736
Original post by physicsmaths
Indeed I am sitting on around 90.
I just need a high 1 in III and A* AFM n i think tbat will be enough :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah yes I forgot ur offer is 1,S. But yeah I cant imagine theyd reject you cus u got like 5 marks of an S when thatd mean ur still one of the better scorers. I bet ull get an S in III though :smile:
Reply 1738
Original post by krishdesai7
@Insight314 I'm really sorry for being such a bother but could you post the paper please?

See above.

Original post by IrrationalRoot
Just realised for STEP II Q1 I got the correct two intersections but idiotically drew the graphs with 4 intersections. Very disappointed now :frown:.

That's 1 mark docked off at most. Wouldn't worry about it too much.
Original post by Zacken
See above.

That's 1 mark docked off at most. Wouldn't worry about it too much.

It's more so that combined with the fact that I failed to eliminate p from the two equations, but somewhat relieving I guess, thought I'd lose like 3 for the graph...
Do you reckon low GBs for this one? :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending