The Student Room Group

STEP 2016 Solutions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by YonRamires
no, in terms of m, M, and a, where a was the answer to the first part of the question

Oh dear. I deserve one sharp whack for being an idiot and running into the question without reading it. I left it in terms of m, M and R. It was just one simple absolutely basic substitution for heaven's sake.

How much do you think they'll dock for it?
Reply 161
Can someone estimate my mark please 😞:

1: Did the sketch and found both intersections but didn't get very far on the first part, found gradients and equations of tangent (one of which I think was correct)

2: Not much, showed a+b+c was a factor then found x=1 on the cubic

3: showed that f'(x) was fn-1 and that a was negative

Differential eqn: verified both equations and proved the result for z, then differentiated v but didn't get very far

Integration: did first three parts correctly then next to nothing of the last part

Other integration: drew a vague sketch with some trapezii, couldn't prove the result. Got the three approximations and showed the error.

Q13: Proved all three results but only had continuity corrections on the first one

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 162
Original post by MathHysteria
Seriously, has nobody got a copy of the paper? I want to get my teeth into it over the weekend!

See the OP. :smile:
can someone see if I got enough for a 1 😁

1 - got equation of tangents and found x, didn't get y or show it intersected on the line, but went on to do the sketch of the two curves with the intersection

3 - did first two parts and showed fn'(a) fn'(b) < 0 but got stuck at the sketches

6 - got the first two parts
7 - full, lovely question

9 - did part i, then got ii in terms of (M m a and u) not just (M m and a)
11 - full but got the inequality the wrong way round, so kinda fudged it, hopefully in the right place
Reply 164
Original post by liamm691
can someone see if I got enough for a 1 😁

Definitely. I envy you. :tongue:
Original post by shamika
Nope, it's fine, I wish you were around this morning so I could avoid tying myself in knots. (I still stand by my estimates, but the obvious caveats apply. If I get some time I will try a few questions over the weekend to refine my view, but it's unlikely I'll have the time)

Your S boundary is too high since.
When in 2014 it was 95/74
In 2013 it was 100/79

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone have a solution for 9?

9: complete, but in the last part I calculated the path of the bullet relative to the table (so b+c instead of b), so I got the value of b wrong

Are you sure that is wrong? That's how I interpreted the question.
It says "The bullet travels a distance b inside the block before coming to rest relative to the block."
I took that to mean "In the time from when the bullet enters the block to when it comes to rest relative to the block, it travels an absolute distance of b."
I did wonder at the time, because I can see both interpretations, but I took that one.
Original post by physicsmaths
Your S boundary is too high since.
When in 2014 it was 95/74
In 2013 it was 100/79

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're not set as a multiple of each other (or requiring 21 marks between them). I'm saying the best candidates will find it easy but the 1/2 boundary seems to be around 70 because it wasn't quite as easy as some of the easiest papers. I could be way off but think the boundaries are a reasonable indication of that paper
Original post by farryharnworth
Are you sure that is wrong? That's how I interpreted the question.
It says "The bullet travels a distance b inside the block before coming to rest relative to the block."
I took that to mean "In the time from when the bullet enters the block to when it comes to rest relative to the block, it travels an absolute distance of b."
I did wonder at the time, because I can see both interpretations, but I took that one.

You could be right, I took it to mean that it travels a distance b relative to the block, but I forgot to substract c in the end.

2: complete, except I got a solution x=5 instead of x=4 on part (ii) (apparently i'm not good at adding and substracting one digit ints)
3: complete, except for checking double roots in the even case in the last part)
6: did parts (i), (ii), and (iii), not (iv)
7 (that was the question w/ four parts and integrals right?): only part (i)
9: complete, but in the last part I calculated the path of the bullet relative to the table (so b+c instead of b), so I got the value of b wrong
12: complete

can somebody estimate my marks pls…
@Zacken I know you must be absolutely sick of going through people's responses and predicting marks, but could you please please do that for me too?

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by shamika
They're not set as a multiple of each other (or requiring 21 marks between them). I'm saying the best candidates will find it easy but the 1/2 boundary seems to be around 70 because it wasn't quite as easy as some of the easiest papers. I could be way off but think the boundaries are a reasonable indication of that paper

You mentioned a while ago that you didn't do the DE question when deciding the boundaries and just saw it and assumed it was easy. I feel like first parts were easy but then (iii) required a bit more work and overall the question would kind of take longer time to get through. I don't know if it is only me, I think I spent a bit over 30 minutes on it and I usually do DE questions a bit faster than other questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Insight314
You mentioned a while ago that you didn't do the DE question when deciding the boundaries and just saw it and assumed it was easy. I feel like first parts were easy but then (iii) required a bit more work and overall the question would kind of take longer time to get through. I don't know if it is only me, I think I spent a bit over 30 minutes on it and I usually do DE questions a bit faster than other questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have literally only seen a handful answer that part.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have literally only seen a handful answer that part.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 176
Original post by krishdesai7
@Zacken I know you must be absolutely sick of going through people's responses and predicting marks, but could you please please do that for me too?

Spoiler

16 + 12 + 20 + 18 + 12(?) + 20 > 95, maybe an S.

What do you mean?

Very few people successfully did (iv) of Q6.
Original post by Zacken
16 + 12 + 20 + 18 + 12(?) + 20 > 95, maybe an S.

Very few people successfully did (iv) of Q6.

Nah, I skipped that one. I thought physicsmaths was referring to (iii). How many marks was that anyway? I assume 5 max but I have no idea how much work had to be done for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nah, I skipped that one. I thought physicsmaths was referring to (iii). How many marks was that anyway? I assume 5 max but I have no idea how much work had to be done for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Around 7.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh damn. I skipped that one because I assumed it wasn't that many marks and I was already 30 minutes into the question. Agh.. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending