The Student Room Group

P2 unofficial markscheme 2016 aqa

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ScrewTheExams
omfg i misread the question

and i fking wrote 1850/84 and crossed it out and did the other one omfg

im so done

i literally got like 10 marks on this paper

I'm sure you got a lot more. About 5 on the 6 mark, 5 marks for working out in the calculation questions and the simpler ones such as what is an alpha particle composed of.
Original post by joshchamp125
I'm sure you got a lot more. About 5 on the 6 mark, 5 marks for working out in the calculation questions and the simpler ones such as what is an alpha particle composed of.

I can't think of questions that would give me more than 12 marks or so lol, maybe 15

I literally didn't know like 20 marks, and lost like 35 marks on misreading questions / brain farts and writing the right thing and crossing it out and writing the wrong thing!!!

I'm so angry at this exam :/

There's my A grade gone
For the athlete that did the metal bar chip up.... I got 4.33W. I found the gravitational potential energy and then divide it by the time taken (60 seconds)
Did anyone get the same?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TracyEmu
For the athlete that did the metal bar chip up.... I got 4.33W. I found the gravitational potential energy and then divide it by the time taken (60 seconds)
Did anyone get the same?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yup thats what you do but the final ans was 52 W. You will get method marks tho.
I can't think of questions that would give me more than 12 marks or so lol, maybe 15

I literally didn't know like 20 marks, and lost like 35 marks on misreading questions / brain farts and writing the right thing and crossing it out and writing the wrong thing!!!

I'm so angry at this exam :/

There's my A grade gone

I feel you bro. Lets hope you actually did better than that
Original post by TracyEmu
Did anyone get the same?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I got the exact same. Do you know if it's correct?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think the acceleration was 22m/s^2

I get what you did; you did the thrust of the jetpack divided by the mass of the person + the jetpack, being 1850/84 which equals 22, but I think this is wrong.
I'm pretty sure, because they're accelerating upwards the resultant force will be the thrust of the pack minus the weight of the pilot and the jetpack which gives you 1010N.
1010/84 = 12m/s^2,
which is what I got.

Could be wrong though. But if you still think yours is right, please tell me why.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you! Do you think it will be around 30 marks for a 'B' or lower?
Original post by gibsond9
Yes I got the exact same. Do you know if it's correct?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 52W

He weighed 65kg, did 12 per minute and lifted himself 0.4m every time.
e=mgh
For a single repetition you do 65 x 10 x 0.4 which is 260J per repetition
He did this 12 times which gives a total of 3120J.
It took him a minute which has 60 seconds so he uses 3120J in 60 seconds.
3120J/60s = 52J/s = 52 Watts
Original post by Nagromicous
I don't think the acceleration was 22m/s^2

I get what you did; you did the thrust of the jetpack divided by the mass of the person + the jetpack, being 1850/84 which equals 22, but I think this is wrong.
I'm pretty sure, because they're accelerating upwards the resultant force will be the thrust of the pack minus the weight of the pilot and the jetpack which gives you 1010N.
1010/84 = 12m/s^2,
which is what I got.

Could be wrong though. But if you still think yours is right, please tell me why.

Yes I did exactly that! When the person is thrusted into the air, gravity is trying to pull the person(+jetpack) down so you subtract the force acting on the person upwards from the person (+ jetpacks) weight which means that there is a resultant force upwards so the person will accelerate upwards
Original post by misty289
Yes I did exactly that! When the person is thrusted into the air, gravity is trying to pull the person(+jetpack) down so you subtract the force acting on the person upwards from the person (+ jetpacks) weight which means that there is a resultant force upwards so the person will accelerate upwards

Thanks for the confidence booster. I've looked around and I haven't seen anyone else put that so I'm hoping it's going to be an A* kind of question that only a few get right. Good luck!
Reply 51
but on formula sheet it says F = resultant force, not force / force applied

Before they added 1850 N, the forces were balanced. Therefore, the resultant force is 1850 N.
The acceleration was definitely not 22m/s^2. It was 12 m/s^2 as you had to work out the resultant force by doing 1850 - 740, giving you 1010.

1010/84 = 12 m/s^2
Reply 53
CALCULATIONS

Spring constant = 100 Newtons per metre

Force of 3 springs = 0.25 * 100 * 4 = 300 N

Power exerted during chip up = 52 W

Resistance of fixed resistor = 600 Ohms

Total voltage = 9 + 3 = 12 V

Total mass of jetpack and rider = 84 Kg

Acceleration of jetpack rider = 22m/s^2
The jetpack rider will stay balanced as long as the resultant force on him is 0

Current = 0.015 Amps

6 MARKER

Alpha - Range of 3 - 5 cm, deflected by positive pole of magnetic field, least penetrating and stopped by paper.
Beta - Range of 15 cm, stopped by aluminium sheet, penetrates paper, deflected by negative pole of magnetic field.
Gamma - Unlimited range, not deflected as it is uncharged and stopped by thick lead blocks.

Alpha particle made of 2 neutrons and 2 protons

What happens when atom is ionised?
It loses an electron and becomes charged.

What is nuclear fusion?

Small nuclei joining to form bigger nucleus.

STARS

How does a star form?

Gas and dust clump together by gravity, and get denser and hotter. Nuclear fusion occurs and energy and light emitted.

Why can scientists now observe brown dwarfs?

Modern Telescopes have better ranges and resolution.

What does gas ring around other stars show?
Shows that planets are being created elsewhere in the universe.

Why are heavier elements that iron present on earth?

Heavier elements that iron are made in supernova explosions, the earth has elements heavier than iron due to stars exploding.

BALL BEARING

The ball bearing travels faster in hot oil, and so has a smaller drag force as the hot oil is less dense.

Error source?

Students reaction time. He will press stopwatch a little later.

Anomaly caused by starting timer too early

Resolution of voltmeter? 0.01 V Suitable because small changes in voltage can be observed.

Comment other questions and I will answer them

what was the answer to the circuit question, when u had to tick the correct one. and how many choices were there again? i guessed a did the second to last one
Reply 54
Original post by sashajlsx
Thank you! Do you think it will be around 30 marks for a 'B' or lower?

should be lower, probably around 28 or 27
Original post by ETB
Before they added 1850 N, the forces were balanced. Therefore, the resultant force is 1850 N.

How were they balanced, the weight was like 840N, and then the force pushing the jetpack guy was 1850N (unless I misread... which i probably did... :/)
Reply 56
CALCULATIONS

Current = 0.015 Amps

6 MARKER

Alpha - Range of 3 - 5 cm, deflected by positive pole of magnetic field, least penetrating and stopped by paper.
Beta - Range of 15 cm, stopped by aluminium sheet, penetrates paper, deflected by negative pole of magnetic field.
Gamma - Unlimited range, not deflected as it is uncharged and stopped by thick lead blocks.

What is nuclear fusion?

STARS

How does a star form?

Gas and dust clump together by gravity, and get denser and hotter. Nuclear fusion occurs and energy and light emitted.

Heavier elements that iron are made in supernova explosions, the earth has elements heavier than iron due to stars exploding.

BALL BEARING

The ball bearing travels faster in hot oil, and so has a smaller drag force as the hot oil is less dense.

Error source?

Resolution of voltmeter? 0.01 V Suitable because small changes in voltage can be observed.

Do u remeber how many marks
agh for the chin up one did you have to use 2 equations? i got 4.4 w
How th was the anomaly caused due to starting stopwatch too early- im pretty sure it was starting the stopwatch too late!?!
CALCULATIONS

Current = 0.015 Amps

6 MARKER

What is nuclear fusion?

STARS

How does a star form?

BALL BEARING

Error source?

I thought the spring constant was 400 N/m. Am I wrong? Also, I thought the acceleration was 12 m/s^2. Was there a question about the resolution of voltmeter? I didn't see it. Are you sure it wasn't P3?

EDIT: I understand the acceleration bit now. It said that the upwards force was 1850 N, I assumed that meant that was just the force pushing him up from the water and that you had to take gravity into account to find the resultant force (1850-840=1010N). A bit ambiguous, if you ask me.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending