The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics Pure Core 4 MPC4 - 17th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

I know I lost at least 6 marks. I ****ed up the vectors and got C and D wrong, so that's 2 marks down + at least one of the method marks would probably require using the correct value for AB, lost 1 for the wrong k (I put 12 but it was 6), and probably at least one mark down for integrating with the wrong k. And one more mark down for including x=0 in the trig question.
Original post by wonderland2
Anyone know if the UMS needed for an A* needs to be 90% in C3 and separately 90% in C4 or can it be a combined total of the two?

Just an average of 90 across all three modules (ie C3, C4 and Mechanics or Statistics)
Reply 622
I liked that paper. I can't believe I did the last question. I'm on road.
Reply 623
Original post by jake4198
The boundaries for Core 4 have constantly been around 55-60 for an A*, with last year being the only exception as it was a fairly nice paper without any big questions where students would have lost a lot of marks.

Woah you're right, they are really low! Well thats good then!
Does anyone remember how many marks finding the gradient was on the parametric equations question?
Original post by OrangutanSean
Just an average of 90 across all three modules (ie C3, C4 and Mechanics or Statistics)

No it's just across C3 & C4 and at least 480UMS overall.
Original post by EmyJ14
Does anyone remember how many marks finding the gradient was on the parametric equations question?

I think it was 5 marks
Reply 627
I thought up to Q6 was pretty straight forward, I know I didn't get all the vectors one right, but someone mentioned one of the questions was basically physics? I don't do physics but I couldn't do 7/8 that well, anyone know if it was any of them? 😁
Original post by Msat
I thought up to Q6 was pretty straight forward, I know I didn't get all the vectors one right, but someone mentioned one of the questions was basically physics? I don't do physics but I couldn't do 7/8 that well, anyone know if it was any of them? 😁

I assume they mean the half-life question. Yes the context was Physics but it's on the syllabus. Didn't require any Physics knowledge.
Original post by Msat

They were probably referring to the half life question, radioactive decay is physics
Just realised that I wrote √35√35 = 2√35 rather than 35.... :angry:
My honest predictions for C3 and C4 grade boundaries
C3
60 - 100%
54 - A*
49 - A
44 - B

C4
65 - 100%
59 - A*
54 - A
49 - B
Original post by OrangutanSean

Its just c4 and 3 mechanics and stats are both AS modules, its in further maths when you need to over 3 modules
I felt so short of time for both core 3 and core 4! AQA want us to do too much in such a short space of time🙄

Posted from TSR Mobile
what did people get for the vector question the last part
Original post by Msat

If anything you're better off not doing physics for the half life equation, in A2 physics the equation for radioactive decay is always base e (instead of k) and the decay constant is in the exponential part, and if you tried using the physics version you probably would've messed up so I wouldn't worry about it at all
Close, but it was -69/2 +9/2ln(3).

Original post by Hibaval
did anyone for question 3b) get -57/2 + 9/2ln3
Original post by BioStudentx
My honest predictions for C3 and C4 grade boundaries
C3
60 - 100%
54 - A*
49 - A
44 - B

C4
65 - 100%
59 - A*
54 - A
49 - B

they'll be low but that low?
right im freaking out, on the binomial question (think it was 7marks?) did anyone get quite large fractions etc for the x^2 , (the final part of the question)
Original post by jtebbbs
If anything you're better off not doing physics for the half life equation, in A2 physics the equation for radioactive decay is always base e (instead of k) and the decay constant is in the exponential part, and if you tried using the physics version you probably would've messed up so I wouldn't worry about it at all

Well used the physics version to verify my answer, and mentally rearanged it to the form e^-lambda* t and got lambda = - ln k, then I used the fact that lambda * half life = ln2 and used that to check the answer I ended up with was right.

Quick Reply