The Student Room Group

Bill Gates says Brexit would make Britain ‘significantly less attractive

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-bill-gates-says-brexit-would-make-britain-significantly-less-attractive-a7086906.html

“While ultimately a matter for the British people to decide, it is clear to me that if Britain chooses to be outside of Europe, it will be a significantly less attractive place to do business and to invest,” Mr Gates added.

“It will be harder to find and recruit the best talent from across the Continent; talent which, in turn, creates jobs for people in the UK.

Scroll to see replies

Can't say I disagree with him. Hopefully whatever the vote I can still get a decent job outside of the country instead of being stuck here
Reply 2
He is entitled to his opinion and the Britons will be entitled to theirs in 6 days time
Reply 3
Another globalist. Of course he benefits from the EU.
You're not getting it. Telling leave voters some rich expert doesn't want you to vote leave is not going to make them vote remain. The remain campaign, the very campaign I support has completely failed to engage voters who didn't already intend on voting remain.
Original post by M14B
He is entitled to his opinion and the Britons will be entitled to theirs in 6 days time

You mean British citizens and those entitled to vote.
I'd like him to expand on his points tbh. I mean exactly why would it be a less attractive place? We can offer whatever attractive business rates/packages we want and any experts in fields who live in the EU are not suddenly going to find an impassable wall even if we did get an Aussie style system, I know quite a few people who now live in Aus who too be honest, don't strike me as experts in any field who could offer all that much, and many didn't even have a job to go to.

Still undecided myself...less than a week to go.
Reply 7
Original post by Jebedee

I swear every leave campaigner uses this argument when a top figure/organisation recommends us to vote remain.

Obama: "I would suggest you vote remain because the UK would go to the bottom of the list in terms of creating trade deals"

Leave Campaign: "Stay out of it! You're just saying that because you benefit from us in the EU"

IMF: "Our economy would be negatively affected if we leave"

Leave Campaign: "You're saying that because you profit from us being in the EU"

Me: Why not just stop and think that maybe they are saying we should remain because it would be mutually beneficial?

Leave Campaign: "You've let government propaganda control you!! See sense already! Immigrants, fishing, immigrants, greece, turkey, fishing, immigration, borders, borders"
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Zakriah
I swear every leave campaigner uses this argument when a top figure/organisation recommends us to vote remain.

Obama: "I would suggest you vote remain because the UK would go to the bottom of the list in terms of creating trade deals"

Leave Campaign: "Stay out of it! You're just saying that because you benefit from us in the EU"

IMF: "Our economy would be negatively affected if we leave"

Leave Campaign: "You're saying that because you profit from us being in the EU"

Me: Why not just stop and think that actually they maybe they are saying we should remain because it would be mutually beneficial?

Leave Campaign: "You've let government propaganda control you!! See sense already! Immigrants, fishing, immigrants, greece, turkey, fishing, immigration".

Because you always try to further your agenda by using these people who benefit the most from EU membership. If you used people who didn't directly benefit then the argument would hold more water.

Leaving will result in short term instability and for the British it is worth it, but for someone not British they don't really gain what we do so why would they support leave?
Will it make me significantly less attractive though...?:s-smilie:
Original post by Jebedee
Because you always try to further your agenda by using these people who benefit the most from EU membership. If you used people who didn't directly benefit then the argument would hold more water.

Leaving will result in short term instability and for the British it is worth it, but for someone not British they don't really gain what we do so why would they support leave?

You don't know that the instability is short term. Like what do you think is going to happen? All of the commonwealth countries will come flocking, "Come trade with me" They would rather trade with the whole of Europe than have to try and rebuild an isolated country. What is this "For the British it is worth it?". A lot of these people's jobs rely on ties with Europe for example trading abroad etc. What about the i don't know, Polish or French family who has been living in England for the past 3 generations and now they can't afford to visit the rest of their family at home due to the added cost? Or are they not 'British'? You can't say British people will suddenly prosper because we are abandoning a lot by leaving the EU and that would negatively affect a lot of British people. Please don't focus too much on those 2 examples, and start to critique them because there are plenty of other examples which i can't think of right now because i haven't examined every group of people which will be marginalized post brexit.
Original post by Zakriah
You don't know that the instability is short term. Like what do you think is going to happen? All of the commonwealth countries will come flocking, "Come trade with me" They would rather trade with the whole of Europe than have to try and rebuild an isolated country. What is this "For the British it is worth it?". A lot of these people's jobs rely on ties with Europe for example trading abroad etc. What about the i don't know, Polish or French family who has been living in England for the past 3 generations and now they can't afford to visit the rest of their family at home due to the added cost? Or are they not 'British'? You can't say British people will suddenly prosper because we are abandoning a lot by leaving the EU and that would negatively affect a lot of British people. Please don't focus too much on those 2 examples, and start to critique them because there are plenty of other examples which i can't think of right now because i haven't examined every group of people which will be marginalized post brexit.

Trading with the EU isn't easy. It is rampant with red tape and protectionism and so a deregulated UK market would be far more attractive.
Reply 12
Original post by Jebedee
Trading with the EU isn't easy. It is rampant with red tape and protectionism and so a deregulated UK market would be far more attractive.

There's a reason why "It is rampant with red tape and protectionism" though, y' know what happens when **** gets a little to deregulated?? *Cough 2008 cough*

Also you haven't actually said why deregulation is better than "protectionism"... or why "protectionism" is bad...
Original post by Jebedee

Have you tried to hire a software developer recently? It is like pulling teeth. Being able to extend your candidate search throughout the EU is a saving grace to most IT businesses. No paper work required. Just a passport and NI number and you are up and running. Bring it on.

When you compare that to tier 2 and the hoops you have to jump through, it is a breeze. God helps us all if they introduce a points based system with typical British bureaucracy and red tape. It will be a nightmare keeping the average tech firm running and growing. But hey ho - I guess we are focused on selling widgets like we did 50 years ago when we think of trade in this debate?

BTW - Globalisation is going to happen whether we are in or out. It will just be slightly harder if we are out.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ByEeek
Have you tried to hire a software developer recently? It is like pulling teeth. Being able to extend your candidate search throughout the EU is a saving grace to most IT businesses. No paper work required. Just a passport and NI number and you are up and running. Bring it on.

When you compare that to tier 2 and the hoops you have to jump through, it is a breeze. God helps us all if they introduce a points based system with typical British bureaucracy and red tape. It will be a nightmare keeping the average tech firm running and growing. But hey ho - I guess we are focused on selling widgets like we did 50 years ago when we think of trade in this debate?

I never said the EU is bereft of advantages. Nothing makes me happier than hot European girls having easy access. It just isn't worth trading in democracy for.

I'd be happy to see a more democratic alternative but I guess the Eurocrats don't have any interest in that.
Original post by Jebedee

I'd be happy to see a more democratic alternative but I guess the Eurocrats don't have any interest in that.

I don't really understand this democracy argument. Every 5 years or so, Rupert Murdoch tells us all who to vote for and then precedes to tell those politicians how to run the country for the next 5 years. We are hardly the model of a good democracy. At least MEPs are proportionally elected.
Original post by 34908seikj
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-bill-gates-says-brexit-would-make-britain-significantly-less-attractive-a7086906.html

“While ultimately a matter for the British people to decide, it is clear to me that if Britain chooses to be outside of Europe, it will be a significantly less attractive place to do business and to invest,” Mr Gates added.

“It will be harder to find and recruit the best talent from across the Continent; talent which, in turn, creates jobs for people in the UK.

The EU and UK will undoubtedly agree a free trade deal (it's in their interests more than ours) and some kind of limited free movement deal within Western Europe (again, it's in their interests to do so).

This comment from Gates is either scaremongering or ignorance because UK-based companies can pretty much hire someone from anywhere if it is a skilled, professional position.
Reply 17
Original post by Thutmose-III
The EU and UK will undoubtedly agree a free trade deal (it's in their interests more than ours) and some kind of limited free movement deal within Western Europe (again, it's in their interests to do so).

This comment from Gates is either scaremongering or ignorance because UK-based companies can pretty much hire someone from anywhere if it is a skilled, professional position.

Why do you say it's in their interests more than ours, genuinely curious, considering it will be us having to negotiate with them, implying we have more to lose and more to gain than they do.
Of course though, all of the self-taught Europe experts on TSR have no need for the opinions of other lesser beings so I'm sure they won't be swayed by Bill Gates. What does he know!

/s
Original post by 34908seikj

Lolwut, how does recruiting foreigners to come to UK create jobs for British people?

If anything, it does the complete opposite of that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest