The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1740
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Do you reckon low GBs for this one? :redface:

Would literally sit on a cactus for low GB's. Shamika reckons it's 70 for a 1, which might mean I'm dead on the boundary, but lots of people seem to have found it easy ( :frown: ) so might creep up a bit. :frown:
Reply 1741
Can someone estimate my mark please 😞:

1: Did the sketch and found both intersections but didn't get very far on the first part, found gradients and equations of tangent (one of which I think was correct)

2: Not much, showed a+b+c was a factor then found x=1 on the cubic

3: showed that f'(x) was fn-1 and that a was negative

Differential eqn: verified both equations and proved the result for z, then differentiated v but didn't get very far

Integration: did first three parts correctly then next to nothing of the last part

Other integration: drew a vague sketch with some trapezii, couldn't prove the result. Got the three approximations and showed the error.

Q13: Proved all three results but only had continuity corrections on the first one

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
See above.

Oh dear. You must think I'm so terribly daft :s-smilie::s-smilie:
Reply 1743
Original post by krishdesai7
Oh dear. You must think I'm so terribly daft :s-smilie::s-smilie:

Nopes, I posted it after you asked. :tongue:
Original post by Zacken
Would literally sit on a cactus for low GB's. Shamika reckons it's 70 for a 1, which might mean I'm dead on the boundary, but lots of people seem to have found it easy ( :frown: ) so might creep up a bit. :frown:

Hey at least you get something in return for getting two 1s in II and III...

But yeah hoping for low GBs, STEP I was pretty bad, II wasn't great and III will probably not be an S. I'd love to get just one S but that's not happening I don't think. One paper would just have to have really low GBs and the examiner would also have to be really lenient with me.
Original post by EnglishMuon
ah yes I forgot ur offer is 1,S. But yeah I cant imagine theyd reject you cus u got like 5 marks of an S when thatd mean ur still one of the better scorers. I bet ull get an S in III though :smile:

Indeed.
I am feeling ok though since my 1 is rather high. I doubt my college will reject since they take loads of 1,3 and 1,2 from pool.
The perks of being at a shite college.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Indeed.
I am feeling ok though since my 1 is rather high. I doubt my college will reject since they take loads of 1,3 and 1,2 from pool.
The perks of being at a shite college.

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha wow really? Which college is this if u dont mind me asking
Reply 1747
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Hey at least you get something in return for getting two 1s in II and III...

But yeah hoping for low GBs, STEP I was pretty bad, II wasn't great and III will probably not be an S. I'd love to get just one S but that's not happening I don't think. One paper would just have to have really low GBs and the examiner would also have to be really lenient with me.

Perspectives; it's just going to add insult to injury when I fail to get 1's in II and III. :tongue:

I know how you feel, at least III has reasonable boundaries, just going to have to hope that the examiners don't go full vectors/complex numbers on us. A proper DE that requires us to, you know, actually solve stuff would be welcome. :lol:
Could someone please estimate how many marks I would have gotten on this paper please?
2.Full
3. Every part but slightly poor explanation of 1 root for odd n, everything else perfect.
4. Didn't show the second inequality and didn't find X or tan theta at the end. All else done.
7. All complete up to last part, got the integral to be of form 1/cosx(cosx+sinx) couldn't see way from there.
11. Did up to last part where I couldn't explain why alpha>beta

Either Q8 or Q9 depending on which has a higher mark
8. Evaluated the first parts correctly. For the evaluations of Es I simply substituted in different values of m into 2/2m-1 that gave the correct Es so probably not correct. Then showed the error to be 1/4r^4.
9. Did part i)

Thanks in advance for your help
Reply 1749
Original post by physicsmaths

Don't beat me up if I get pooled to Homerton
Original post by Zacken

inb4 we all get pooled to Homerton

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EnglishMuon
haha wow really? Which college is this if u dont mind me asking

Homerton. Gutted you dont know this by now....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
Perspectives; it's just going to add insult to injury when I fail to get 1's in II and III. :tongue:

I know how you feel, at least III has reasonable boundaries, just going to have to hope that the examiners don't go full vectors/complex numbers on us. A proper DE that requires us to, you know, actually solve stuff would be welcome. :lol:

Yeah that's what I was thinking, can we actually have a DE that we're meant to solve?
And yeah, that's my biggest worry. Just an onslaught of vectors/complex numbers. Then I'm finished.
Original post by Zacken
Nopes, I posted it after you asked. :tongue:

Someone needs to shoot me fast, or worse, turn off the WiFi before I continue to demonstrate my stupidity and Cambridge finally realises that they picked me by mistake :s-smilie::s-smilie:
Original post by Zacken

Goodness what wouldn't I give for a lovely decent differential equation rounded off with a decent initial condition. I'd probably do a little jig in the exam hall if I saw something like that. But this is all wishful thinking, isn't it?
There shall be showers of vectors,
This is the promise of Siklos :P :P

For those who didn't get the reference I've changed the words of a hymn called 'Showers of Blessings"
Original post by Zacken

I wont. The tripos will.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How many marks would you predict i will get for doing the beginning of q12 aswell as part i (1/n)
Any chance I could get an estimate of my marks from someone?

Question 3:

Spoiler

Question 5:

Spoiler

Question 6:

Spoiler

Question 7:

Spoiler

Question 8:

Spoiler

Question 12:

Spoiler