The Student Room Group

RE: beating wives in islam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oShahpo
What I mean is that you can't tell others how a verse is supposed to be interpreted, there is no correct interpretation specially since most of the terms used in the Quran are so poorly defined they could accommodate anything.

Yes I do agree the Qur'an is so poorly written and immensely vague that anyone madman can interpret it and become violent.

I agree with that
Original post by Calmness
Bukhari (72:715) - "Aisha said, 'I have not seen any woman suffering as much as the believing women'" Muhammad's own wife complained of the abuse that the women of her religion suffered relative to other women.

Hope this helps

@Cakey_101

LOL thats too funny honestly your interpretation reflects your ignorance. Rather every believing Muslim is believed to suffer as a test from God to test their faith.
What's the point of 2 threads?
Original post by Legendary Quest
A Hadith regarding Mo hurting his wife, Aisha:

"He said: Was it the darkness (of your shadow) that I saw in front of me? I said: Yes. He struck me on the chest which caused me pain, and then said: Did you think that Allah and His Apostle would deal unjustly with you?" Muslim (4:2127)

Hope this helps.

@Cakey_101

This is for you to read: http://www.letmeturnthetables.com/2011/03/muhammad-beat-aisha.html Hope it helps! :smile:
Original post by Asiimov
In before ISOC explains how it only means light punishment, which is TOTALLY ok.

Don't forget my favourite: 'you need to understand the context first!'
Original post by Asiimov
> Extremely important holy book.
> So vague you can interpret it any way you want really.

Maybe they should have used less metaphor right?

It's not just the metaphors, it's also the fact that whoever wrote it had to go for loose terms in order to make it rhyme.
Original post by champ_mc99
What's the point of 2 threads?

Too many haters thats why.
Original post by Cakey_101
LOL thats too funny honestly your interpretation reflects your ignorance. Rather every believing Muslim is believed to suffer as a test from God to test their faith.

In other words, part of the privileges of being a believing muslim woman is to be immensely bruised by your partner because being a Muslim is all about spousal abuse and suffering.

Seems legit.
So you just go and copy someone else post...how logical
It confuses me why the writers of holy books couldn't stay 100% literal and unambiguous. Yeah, it might not be as interesting. But nobody is going to kill each other over which interpretation is correct.
Original post by Calmness
In other words, part of the privileges of being a believing muslim woman is to be immensely bruised by your partner because being a Muslim is all about spousal abuse and suffering.

Seems legit.

Wow your ignorance is actually worrying. Maybe try reading a book or actually educating yourself rather than making up things and being fed by the media. Bye.

You sent me a link that confirms he physically harmed her. It doesn't matter whether or not Aisha herself considered it as 'beating'. He hurt her.

From the very same website:

http://www.letmeturnthetables.com/2008/06/does-islam-allow-wife-beating.html

Have a read.
Wow your ignorance is actually worrying. Maybe try reading a book or actually educating yourself rather than making up things and being fed by the media. Bye.

It is true though the a women doesn't get her own capital and can't travel any where without her husband. So much for freedom.
actually, clever person,

that is why there is quran and hadeeth to look at; if you look at the in-depth meaning that scholars have specified it says this:
light chatisement,
you can't hit the face or head,
you can't kick them( in doing so, it is that regard them to be inferior; but in the eyes of god we're equal),
when resorting to 'disciplining' them, the arm cannot be raised to the extent that the whiteness of the armpit is seen( in islam, it is suggested that the armpits should remain hairless)-figuratively-like if you weren't wearing a top.

lastly. you can't hit with such force that it scars/bruises them.
P.S.
that is why there are theolgions and scholars, to explain that the words aren't literal every time.
btw don't argue back with but or if and try making logical arguments about literal meanings 'cause you're no scholar to say something like that in the first place and telling you that these are the rulings under islamic jurisprudence.

bye
It's so funny how Muslims deny that hitting your wife justified in he quran
Original post by Legendary Quest
You sent me a link that confirms he physically harmed her. It doesn't matter whether or not Aisha herself considered it as 'beating'. He hurt her.

From the very same website:

http://www.letmeturnthetables.com/2008/06/does-islam-allow-wife-beating.html

Have a read.

did it bruise, was on her face did he kick her....
heh,heh, i think not.
Original post by Thanbir.33
actually, clever person,

that is why there is quran and hadeeth to look at; if you look at the in-depth meaning that scholars have specified it says this:
light chatisement,
you can't hit the face or head,
you can't kick them( in doing so, it is that regard them to be inferior; but in the eyes of god we're equal),
when resorting to 'disciplining' them, the arm cannot be raised to the extent that the whiteness of the armpit is seen( in islam, it is suggested that the armpits should remain hairless)-figuratively-like if you weren't wearing a top.

lastly. you can't hit with such force that it scars/bruises them.
P.S.
that is why there are theolgions and scholars, to explain that the words aren't literal every time.
btw don't argue back with but or if and try making logical arguments about literal meanings 'cause you're no scholar to say something like that in the first place and telling you that these are the rulings under islamic jurisprudence.

bye

Okay so I guess women are also allowed to lightly discipline their husbands right?

After-all Islam is a religion of peace, tolerance and equality, even though we are asking whether a woman can physically assault their husbands the way Husbands can physically assault their wives.
Original post by fatima1998
i don't believe in this concept, beating anyone is just bad :yep: i would never ever allow my future hubby to beat me otherwise he'll be dead :unimpressed:

Spoiler

I thought you were asexual :s-smilie:
Original post by IFoundWonderland
I thought you were asexual :s-smilie:

:yep:
Original post by Thanbir.33
did it bruise, was on her face did he kick her....
heh,heh, i think not.

Does it matter? Did he physically harm her? Did he cause her pain?

heh,heh, thought so.

Sorry, I forgot. Domestic violence is fine as long as you don't kick the wife.

Quick Reply