The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics Pure Core 4 MPC4 - 17th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DEWR98
Did anyone get -3ycos3y +sin3y=1/6tan(1.5x)+ whatever c was which I can't recall

yes, c was pi
Original post by iiPablo
Same here, I get extra time and dropped a good 20 marks bc of time management which is pretty gutting as this paper was relatively nice, especially compared to C3, so any chance I had of getting a good grade is fully down the toilet 💔

Only low grade boundaries can save us now :frown:
Original post by ThusSpakeAlex
I messed up the coefficients in the first question so I got a wrong answer, do you think I'll get a nice ecf only few marks lost?

Btw did anyone get 1/3 and 5/3 for the values of lambda in the vector question?

I got those values of lambda :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by snimkar
The questions was to differentiate tan^-1 (3x/2) by implicit differentiation, I didnt do it that way but if you look in the formula book it gives you the general form of differentiating inverse tan which is 1/(1+x^2). Putting in 3x/2 for our x value would give us 1/(1+9/4x^2) so times the whole thing by 4/4 would give you 4/(4 + 9x^2) thats what I did :/

For that method, you must times the entire thing by the derivative of 3/2, 4x1.5=6 so k is 6 even if you used formula booklet

(as if use anything that doesn't have the same coefficient of x, you must use chain rule alongside the formula booklet)
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 664
Instead of the tan bit in the final equation for the last question I put 1/18xln(4+9^2) but got the constant and rest right? How many marks??
Original post by MahuduElec
For that method, you must times the entire thing by the derivative of 3/2, 4x1.5=6 so k is 6 even if you used formula booklet

(as if use anything that doesn't have the same coefficient of x, you must use chain rule alongside the formula booklet)
Posted from TSR Mobile

I can see them saying MAX 1 mark for differentiation using the standard integral, and that's assuming it's the correct value of k, it specifically said by implicit. Can't see them giving anymore.
I got -4-Pi/2 for C on the last question, wrote it as (Pi+8)/2 on other side of equation
Reply 667
Original post by C0balt
yes, c was pi

I think I might've put 6 instead of a sixth but I can't remember, I'm hoping I put the latter but it didn't affect my value of c fortunately as X was 0
Is there a mark scheme out yet?
Original post by C0balt
yes, c was pi

I know you're not an examiner but you do seem really intelligent. If you got the right hand side of the integral wrong but did the left hand side completely right, and did all the integration correctly (as well as every other step), how many marks is it possible to get?
Original post by DEWR98
I think I might've put 6 instead of a sixth but I can't remember, I'm hoping I put the latter but it didn't affect my value of c fortunately as X was 0

you'd probably only lose one mark anyway, i wouldn't worry.
Original post by Manliker
Ffs i had C as 3

Same I got C is 3 lol
Original post by joef1337
I managed to store some of my answers in my calculator (Stats mode is great!), besides the "show that" questions, and this is what I had:

1)A = -1/2, B = 9/2
-1 + 7x - 22/3 x^2 + O(x^3)
-1/2 < x < 1/2

2)x = 0°, 99.6°, 206.4°

3)A = -3, B = 2, C = 9
p = -69/2 (lol), q = 9/2

4) m = 181g, t_1/2 = 330 days

5) p = 2/15
r = 1/3, s = 4/15

6) cos theta = 13/35
intersection = (2, 0, -1)
C = (5/2, -5/6, 7/6), D = (3/2, 5/6, 5/6) (or vice versa)

7) gradient = e^4/2

8) k = 12, c = -pi (but if you put the +c on the opposite integral, you would have got c = pi assuming that's correct)

Anyone agree?

Can someone just confirm that 6c) is correct. Thank you. Also for Q2, zero is not a solution as the limits said between but not including 0 and 360.
Reply 673
What about if I managed to get 8b correct but didn't use the answer to 8a as I didn't manage to do that one? Will I still get all the marks?
Original post by JoeT7
What about if I managed to get 8b correct but didn't use the answer to 8a as I didn't manage to do that one? Will I still get all the marks?

I think it is highly likely you will get some marks. But the question did say hence...

So, may be loose a few marks.
Original post by BioStudentx
I know you're not an examiner but you do seem really intelligent. If you got the right hand side of the integral wrong but did the left hand side completely right, and did all the integration correctly (as well as every other step), how many marks is it possible to get?

Lol thank you :lol:
Was the question 7 marks?
Im looking at the 2015 mark scheme and it's a mark each for
- separating variables
- integrating LHS or RHS half-correctly
- LHS correct
- RHS correct
- finding C
- Both sides correct
- Final answer in the required form
So I would guess 4 roughly?
Reply 676
lol all this debate about the last question i don't even know what standard integrals are... never even been taught it let alone revised it. yikes.
Does anybody remember how many marks were for each questions roughly in total?
Original post by Arima
lol all this debate about the last question i don't even know what standard integrals are... never even been taught it let alone revised it. yikes.

because it's part of FP2. The integral of the form 1/a^2+x^2 gives 1/a(tan^-1(x/a)) and the derivation and use of it is taught in FP2. AQA just thought it was funny to include that in C4 paper :tongue:
Reply 679
Original post by C0balt
yes, c was pi

Do you remember if for the Cosθ question if 0<θ<360 or were there equal signs under because for I think I would've lost a mark for putting the Cosθ=1 values which were 0 and 360

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending