The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

In question 2. i had generally the riht apprach but only had 2 mins to scribble down so made many mistakes.

I showed a+b-c is a factor and factored it correctly but missed the constant of 3 out front.
I realised that the (a,b,c) should be(x,3/2,-1/2) got the right factors didnt specifically right down the roots.
in the next part i didnt show that it was a factor, factored it wrong but did pick x,3,2,1 to get the desired polynomial.(so hoing for a method mark here)

What do you think ill score on this problem?
Original post by physicsmaths
I wont. The tripos will.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am doing lots of mech and complex numbers this week for STEP III. I feel like Siklos might flood it with those nasty geometry/complex numbers this week so I need to get confident with doing the mech section and also be ready to attempt some complex numbers. What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just realised I did a bit more in q4 than I thought. Can someone estimate what I might get for proving the very first inequality, the 'hence' part of part (i), and showing the equality when y = (4 + sqrt(7))/3.

Well? I am hoping it is worth a couple of marks at least, to make up for my error in q2.

In q2, if I did it correctly right up to choosing the right values of a,b,d,e (x,1,2,3) and found the first factor but messed up the other factors, and hence the final values (except for x = 0 and possibly x = 2), what would I likely get?

Also, in q7, I did it all right and in the last part I even got to trying to integrate secx/(cosx + sinx) but then didn't make the link to multiple by secx again so didn't manage it. What would this likely get me?

Thanks.
Reply 1763
Anyone know which colleges reject offer holders with 2,1 more often and which ones accept them? Also will it work in my favour if I come from a background with low progression rates? I'm a little panicky haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fa991
Anyone know which colleges reject offer holders with 2,1 more often and which ones accept them? Also will it work in my favour if I come from a background with low progression rates? I'm a little panicky haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure about first one, but they look at everything when deciding whether to reject you, which includes your background.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1765
Original post by Insight314
Not sure about first one, but they look at everything when deciding whether to reject you, which includes your background.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh thanks, I guess not all hope is lost, as long as i destroy step 3

Posted from TSR Mobile
@Zacken or anyone else that knows, I remember one was linked for STEP II a while back that I used a bit, but is there that spreadsheet that has all the questions labelled by what topic of maths they are for the STEP III papers? Want to try and focus on a couple topics
Reply 1767
Original post by ComputerMaths97
@Zacken or anyone else that knows, I remember one was linked for STEP II a while back that I used a bit, but is there that spreadsheet that has all the questions labelled by what topic of maths they are for the STEP III papers? Want to try and focus on a couple topics

No, sorry. We haven't made any for III. I was considering doing it, but given how STEP II went, I don't really want anything to have to do with STEP. Will let you know if I/we do it anyway. :smile:
Original post by Zacken
No, sorry. We haven't made any for III. I was considering doing it, but given how STEP II went, I don't really want anything to have to do with STEP. Will let you know if I/we do it anyway. :smile:

It's all good mate was just asking if you had already :smile:
I can just tell from some papers that in STEP III you don't actually need to answer any further maths content really to get a 1 or 2 a lot of the time - is this the same in more recent years?
Reply 1769
Original post by fa991

I read your reply earlier and was going to give you an estimate, but then realised that (if I'm correct) you applied to the same college as me, which made me want to strangle myself a little bit because of badly I'd done, anywho - you definitely got a mid/high 1 from what you've said. Congratulations.
Indeed.
I am feeling ok though since my 1 is rather high. I doubt my college will reject since they take loads of 1,3 and 1,2 from pool.
The perks of being at a shite college.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't diss Homerton, it gives you the opportunity of being the first person ever in your college to get a first
Reply 1771
Original post by Zacken
I read your reply earlier and was going to give you an estimate, but then realised that (if I'm correct) you applied to the same college as me, which made me want to strangle myself a little bit because of badly I'd done, anywho - you definitely got a mid/high 1 from what you've said. Congratulations.

Really? Honestly expected a mid 2. (You are correct about me btw)

Zain, it's obvious you are miles ahead of most people mathematically so all you need to do is smash Step 3 and there's no way they'll let you go

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sweeneyrod
Don't diss Homerton, it gives you the opportunity of being the first person ever in your college to get a first

Haha i seen some class lists out of all the years of mathmos at homerton(a period of 3 years) only like 1 guy got a first.
How many marks would I lose for this(be as harsh as possible please I really don't want false hope of getting in):
Q2 Got the first part fine, second part I got the values but my factorisation or algebra must have been slightly incorrect as I got the wrong solutions.
Q3 got to the last part but for the n is even/odd I just checked the case n=2 and then used that to guess that it has no solutions when n is even and 1 when n is odd.
Q6 did it up to the last part but couldn't do any of the last part of the Q, did not even attempt it.
Q8 I got all of the last part wrong, but got the first part fine. My sketch was a little dodgy, dock a mark for that.
Q4 I got the first part, but not the deduce y^2 +1, then solved for y and showed the equality for y in the second part but did not find x or tan(theta).
I'm borderline and I really don't know what mark to give this. Think I am likely a high 2.
EDIT: Fulled 7. To clarify 2 was arithmetic slips.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Haha i seen some class lists out of all the years of mathmos at homerton(a period of 3 years) only like 1 guy got a first.

aren't you gonna mind though???
Original post by gasfxekl
aren't you gonna mind though???

We will see at the end of first year. I will let you know then. The reason they so many low results is cause hey pick all the 1,2 and 1,3s out of the pool.
The DoS's there is person giving your second and third year lectures it is not a case of cause your at trinity your gna get a first cause your at homerton your gna get 2:2. Depends on the individual and trinity generally has the best intake and homerton generally has the worst.
How did everybody prepare for STEP apart from doing past papers?
So I get 3's in STEP I and II in my real exams (most likely, dw that's not me being pessimistic), but just got a 1 in STEP III 2009.

Ah I give up. 1's at home, 3's in the exams. Great! :biggrin:
Reply 1778
Accurate representation of me:

Reply 1779
Original post by ComputerMaths97
So I get 3's in STEP I and II in my real exams (most likely, dw that's not me being pessimistic), but just got a 1 in STEP III 2009.

Ah I give up. 1's at home, 3's in the exams. Great! :biggrin:

Me irl

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending