The Student Room Group

Smart casual?

Hi,

I am currently doing GCSEs. My last exam (Edexcel GCSE History) is on Tuesday. Yay! But after that on Tuesday I have to go to a school I might go to next year for sixth form for an induction day. They sent us an email telling us to wear 'smart, casual' clothing but I really don't know what this means. Does anyone know what I should wear?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Probably just what you normally wear really but not things like tracksuits

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by niv1234
Hi,

I am currently doing GCSEs. My last exam (Edexcel GCSE History) is on Tuesday. Yay! But after that on Tuesday I have to go to a school I might go to next year for sixth form for an induction day. They sent us an email telling us to wear 'smart, casual' clothing but I really don't know what this means. Does anyone know what I should wear?

Thanks

Jeans and a nice t-shirt? Or (if jeans are banned from the school's uniform code) a decent-length skirt and t-shirt?

I have an induction day at a new school next week as well :smile:
Original post by metellaest
Jeans and a nice t-shirt? Or (if jeans are banned from the school's uniform code) a decent-length skirt and t-shirt?

I have an induction day at a new school next week as well :smile:

Oh ok, I don't really know what the dress code is but thanks for the idea I will check on the website. How are GCSEs going?

Oh thats nice, mine is at dr.challoner's high school where is yours?
Original post by niv1234
Oh ok, I don't really know what the dress code is but thanks for the idea I will check on the website. How are GCSEs going?

Oh thats nice, mine is at dr.challoner's high school where is yours?

So-so! Just finished today. On the fence as to how 3-4 went (probably missed out on the A* in two of them...) but the rest were fine, I think!

How about you?

Mine's at Tiffin Girls :smile: hope it goes well!
Original post by SJL16
Probably just what you normally wear really but not things like tracksuitsPosted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I will keep that in mind.

So-so! Just finished today. On the fence as to how 3-4 went (probably missed out on the A* in two of them...) but the rest were fine, I think!

How about you?

Mine's at Tiffin Girls :smile: hope it goes well!

I feel like I've finished GCSEs even though I've got one exam left :frown:. How does it feel to have finished exams?

Yes I know exactly how you feel. In my mocks all my results were a few marks off an A*, the pass mark for an A* or one or two marks above an A* and I'm worried its going to be the same for my real ones. I don't think I'm going to get my predicted grades though sadly.

Oh ok, I've heard about that one apparently its really good. Have you applied to any other sixth forms? Thanks, I hope yours goes well too.
Original post by niv1234
Thanks, I will keep that in mind.

I feel like I've finished GCSEs even though I've got one exam left :frown:. How does it feel to have finished exams?

Yes I know exactly how you feel. In my mocks all my results were a few marks off an A*, the pass mark for an A* or one or two marks above an A* and I'm worried its going to be the same for my real ones. I don't think I'm going to get my predicted grades though sadly.

Oh ok, I've heard about that one apparently its really good. Have you applied to any other sixth forms? Thanks, I hope yours goes well too.

Ooh! One left :smile: I'm sure you've done better than you think - though I think I'm going to fall slightly short of my predicted grades as well :frown:

I have applied to one other, which thankfully I have an unconditional offer for in case I don't make my offer for Tiffin! I could probably also stay at my current school (although I don't really want to) if the worst happened... How about you?
Original post by niv1234

Smart casual means not jeans, not sports kit, not trainers. So chinos and a polo shirt, or cotton shirt, jumper etc. No need for a jacket. Nowadays, and for school then 'smart' trainers might be ok, but probably not white/heavily logo'd. School should be able to advise on the specifics.
Original post by threeportdrift
Smart casual means not jeans, not sports kit, not trainers. So chinos and a polo shirt, or cotton shirt, jumper etc. No need for a jacket. Nowadays, and for school then 'smart' trainers might be ok, but probably not white/heavily logo'd. School should be able to advise on the specifics.

Thanks this is really helpful, I will try and find something like this.

Spoiler

Ooh! One left :smile: I'm sure you've done better than you think - though I think I'm going to fall slightly short of my predicted grades as well :frown:

I have applied to one other, which thankfully I have an unconditional offer for in case I don't make my offer for Tiffin! I could probably also stay at my current school (although I don't really want to) if the worst happened... How about you?

I hope I get good results but at this point I really don't think I will get my predicted results. My expectations have been gradually lowering since the start of exams.:s-smilie:

Anyways good luck with everything. :biggrin:

Oh ok, thats good. I have conditional offers from Dr. Challoner's and Henrietta Barnett. But I really like my school so I didn't think I would even be considering moving so I didn't go to either of the open days and now I don't know much about either school. I'm still unsure if I would want to move even if I meet the entry requirements, which are quite high. The only reason I am thinking of moving is because I don't get to do German Alevel at my current school but I don't know if its worth moving for that as I really do love my school.

Sorry for the overly long explanation :smile:
Original post by niv1234
I hope I get good results but at this point I really don't think I will get my predicted results. My expectations have been gradually lowering since the start of exams.:s-smilie:

Anyways good luck with everything. :biggrin:

Oh ok, thats good. I have conditional offers from Dr. Challoner's and Henrietta Barnett. But I really like my school so I didn't think I would even be considering moving so I didn't go to either of the open days and now I don't know much about either school. I'm still unsure if I would want to move even if I meet the entry requirements, which are quite high. The only reason I am thinking of moving is because I don't get to do German Alevel at my current school but I don't know if its worth moving for that as I really do love my school.

Sorry for the overly long explanation :smile:

No problem - I feel the same way about the exams :smile:

I don't know whether German is needed for your future degree / uni course - if it is, then I'd say go for it! Otherwise, I'd suggest stay where you are as it sounds like you really enjoy your current school! I'm moving because I don't really want to stay :colondollar:

Either way - hope all goes well :smile:
No problem - I feel the same way about the exams :smile:

I don't know whether German is needed for your future degree / uni course - if it is, then I'd say go for it! Otherwise, I'd suggest stay where you are as it sounds like you really enjoy your current school! I'm moving because I don't really want to stay :colondollar:

Either way - hope all goes well :smile:

Oh ok thanks. I will think about that as I just wanted to do German as I enjoy it and I will probably just end up doing something to do with biology.
Original post by niv1234
Oh ok thanks. I will think about that as I just wanted to do German as I enjoy it and I will probably just end up doing something to do with biology.

If you really love it you should go for it though :smile:

I am as well! I'm doing Maths, Chemistry, Biology and History next year - with the intention of doing something primarily biology related, with a bit of chemistry :smile: how about you?
If you really love it you should go for it though :smile:

I am as well! I'm doing Maths, Chemistry, Biology and History next year - with the intention of doing something primarily biology related, with a bit of chemistry :smile: how about you?

Oh ok thanks. I am doing pretty much the same. My school is only letting us take 3 Alevels so if I stay I will do Biology, Chemistry and Maths. If I move schools I would also get to do German. I am going to miss Latin and History so much next year :frown: . I'm thinking of doing something biology related too.

What GCSEs are you doing?
Original post by niv1234
Oh ok thanks. I am doing pretty much the same. My school is only letting us take 3 Alevels so if I stay I will do Biology, Chemistry and Maths. If I move schools I would also get to do German. I am going to miss Latin and History so much next year :frown: . I'm thinking of doing something biology related too.

What GCSEs are you doing?

On top of the normal ones: Latin, Greek, French and History...(oh, and Add Maths FSMQ) How about you?
On top of the normal ones: Latin, Greek, French and History...(oh, and Add Maths FSMQ) How about you?

Oh I do almost the same as you! The options I chose were Latin, French, German and History. I wanted to do Ancient Greek but my school doesn't offer it as a GCSE so I could only do it as an entry level.

It's nice to find someone who does almost the same subjects as me. Do you enjoy languages? I really do.
Original post by niv1234
Oh I do almost the same as you! The options I chose were Latin, French, German and History. I wanted to do Ancient Greek but my school doesn't offer it as a GCSE so I could only do it as an entry level.

It's nice to find someone who does almost the same subjects as me. Do you enjoy languages? I really do.

Very similar :smile: I do as well - I just really struggle with the listening exams - which is why I'm doing more ancient ones than modern ones! What exactly is entry level? Do you still receive a GCSE qualification for Greek?
Would turning up in a suit or dress seem too...smart and professional? :wink:
Very similar :smile: I do as well - I just really struggle with the listening exams - which is why I'm doing more ancient ones than modern ones! What exactly is entry level? Do you still receive a GCSE qualification for Greek?

Oh ok, I like the reading and listening exams its just the writing and speaking I find harder. I really love Latin though, I just didn't like having to memorise all that Pliny and Virgil. No its much easier than a GCSE, I have been doing Greek since the beginning of year 9 on and off but we don't have lessons in it I just attend a weekly club. And we decided to do an exam called the Entry Level. It's a lot easier than the GCSE. We had to write a 400 word essay on anything to do with Greek culture, I did theatre, and we had 2 20 minute exams.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/137432-language-test-1-vocabulary-grammar-and-origins-of-words.pdf
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/137433-language-test-2-comprehension-and-translation-skills.pdf

I was struggling to word what the papers entailed so I added some links here. Also it is all internally marked, our teachers mark it and send the marks to the exam board but we don't find out what we got until results day with our other exams.
Original post by niv1234
Oh ok, I like the reading and listening exams its just the writing and speaking I find harder. I really love Latin though, I just didn't like having to memorise all that Pliny and Virgil. No its much easier than a GCSE, I have been doing Greek since the beginning of year 9 on and off but we don't have lessons in it I just attend a weekly club. And we decided to do an exam called the Entry Level. It's a lot easier than the GCSE. We had to write a 400 word essay on anything to do with Greek culture, I did theatre, and we had 2 20 minute exams.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/137432-language-test-1-vocabulary-grammar-and-origins-of-words.pdf
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/137433-language-test-2-comprehension-and-translation-skills.pdf

I was struggling to word what the papers entailed so I added some links here. Also it is all internally marked, our teachers mark it and send the marks to the exam board but we don't find out what we got until results day with our other exams.

Ah, okay - that sounds really interesting :smile: I didn't really get to learn about any culture because we were too pressed for time getting the language and both set texts done in a year and a half :smile:

I'm the opposite - I really liked the speaking because I prepared thoroughly for it - I don't like the unpredictability of the reading...

Thanks for the links :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest