The Student Room Group

Do/did your parents let you swear openly around them?

Scroll to see replies

That's deep. Do they not like your nan? :s-smilie:
I swear in front of my parents.But after I swear I always laugh to show it was a joke .Then when they go I swear again,serious this time.If i swear to my parents then it's probably :rip:......
I have swore once to them,and I think I got the slap of my life.
Nope, I would be dead, but I can't help it, so in school, and when I'm around my friends, and tht, I do. :tongue:
No and my parents don't swear either, instead for example, my mum would say something like "Oh Sugar"!
I was taught there were always better ways to express myself.
nope because my parents are prudes who couldn't be any more different to me if they tried
When my parents are angry, they swear and then its okay for me to swear WITH them and whoever they're angry at :colone:
When I was younger, no. Now, my mum has given up. Doesn't help that she swears around me too, so she couldn't tell me not to swear without appearing hypocritical,
Reply 28
Original post by k.m.b
No and my parents don't swear either, instead for example, my mum would say something like "Oh Sugar"!

Haha, my parents sometimes say sh*t when they are clumsy but no one cares when they say it :colonhash:
Reply 29
My family really don't care
My mum swears a lot when she gets angry but if I swear, she gets even madder and swears even more :colonhash:

Basically, no swearing for me in front of her, I wouldn't even dare think about swearing in front of my dad, he'd probably kill me lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sometimes around my mum but never around my dad :biggrin:
No. My parents swear around me and my siblings though (my mum more than my dad. I've heard my dad swear like twice lol). Once my 12 year old brother was screaming **** off **** off at me, at my mum threatened to put chilli in his mouth if she heard him say that again haha. I guess she wouldn't really mind if I swore (and considering she swears around me a lot it would be a bit hypocritical), but I've never really sworn at home, so it would feel strange starting now.
Even attempting would be the equivalent of asking to die
Reply 34
No. My parents don't really care how I talk around my friends/family members my age, but around them and older family members I have to be respectful. I dread to think what would happen if I ever swore in front of them *shudders*
not with asian parents, don't even bother unless you want a slipper thrown at you
If I swear.

I SWEAR down my mums chappals are gonna be in her hands rather then her feet m9.
My parents don't really care, the most i've ever gotten is a stern 'laurenloops!'. Now i'm older they don't really care though, it's not like i swear in every sentence. I mostly swear when i'm humouring them e.g.My mum said 'i'm not going out tonight' and i was like '****ing hell' because she goes out most nights. They don't care at all about things like that.

I've sworn at them when i'm really mad and they've sworn at me when they're really mad as well, it's just a way to show how pissed off we are at the other person but it's never permanent and we don't really mean it, only in the heat of the moment (But everyone gets into fights with their parents, so it's not like that's not a normal thing).

I think they know i'm old enough now that i know when it is and isn't appropriate to swear, and at the end of the day it's just a sound. Like if you swear at a dog, it doesn't have a clue it's a bad thing, it's what is implied that is the bad thing about swearing and we never mean it in a really nasty and serious way.
Reply 38
Yeah they don't mind. As long as I don't go crazy with it or do it in front of my young niece they don't give a ****. They swear a lot themselves. Just that kind of family. Super lax.
They don't mind as longs as it relevant and not just ****ing this and f that.

Quick Reply

Latest