The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M2 - 17th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by target21859
Ah so 30/7 is right then? My friend told me I had to put it to 3sf.

Don't see how using g means you have to give a rounded answer tbh

30/7 is correct. If anything I'd say the rounded answer is at risk of missing a mark. I doubt it though. I'm sure it will say something like "condone 4.29 or better"
Does anyone remember the masses and velocity for Q7?
In question 7 was the initial speed of particle A u or 3u? Got the same answers as everyone but someone made a point that initial speed was 3u not u?
Original post by Student403
Don't see how using g means you have to give a rounded answer tbh

30/7 is correct. If anything I'd say the rounded answer is at risk of missing a mark. I doubt it though. I'm sure it will say something like "condone 4.29 or better"

Did the gs cancel? Because if not surely using a 2sf value for g means you can only give the answer to 2 or 3sf. In mark schemes they deduct marks for this.
Original post by Johnjkearney
In question 7 was the initial speed of particle A u or 3u? Got the same answers as everyone but someone made a point that initial speed was 3u not u?

3u
Reply 625
Say I got 10.44 for the speed or whatever it was is that -1 mark for essentially being more accurate? I didn't round the center of mass from AD either, I think I left it at 4 decimal points at least; will that deduct me marks too?
Original post by johnthedog
I got EXACTLY THIS YES BOY
why did i get 15 for question 1 b?did anyone get different answer?
Did the gs cancel? Because if not surely using a 2sf value for g means you can only give the answer to 2 or 3sf. In mark schemes they deduct marks for this.

I know this is definitely the case in physics, but in Edexcel maths we actually say "Whenever a numerical value of g is required, take g = 9.8 ms-2." So surely if it had to be rounded, they would say "take g = 9.8m/s^2 to 2 s.f."

If you can show me otherwise in mark scheme I'd change my thinking
I don't understand how people got full marks - This exam was so awful I couldn't do most of it! I'd been getting high Bs on all past papers, but I could barely do any of the questions... Think I only got 2 questions 100% correct and I'm hoping for method marks
Hey so for Q7 I got up to (VB -VA)/3u =3/4 but then for some reason I put the next line as VB -VA=3u/4 and then dragged this error though the whole question getting 5.5 for e (yeah...) and a collision occurring because the particles were travelling towards each other in opposite directions. How many marks do you guys think I'd lose for that?
I know this is definitely the case in physics, but in Edexcel maths we actually say "Whenever a numerical value of g is required, take g = 9.8 ms-2." So surely if it had to be rounded, they would say "take g = 9.8m/s^2 to 2 s.f."

If you can show me otherwise in mark scheme I'd change my thinking

image.png
Original post by Linjingyu
why did i get 15 for question 1 b?did anyone get different answer?

You made the same mistake as me. They wanted the distance in the third second, not the distance travelled after three seconds. We should get at least a couple marks for correctly integrating v to find x and maybe for a correct value of x when t=3
Reply 632
Original post by GreatBantz
If you got the wrong value for lambda in question 6 but did the next part correctly (with the wrong value of lambda ofc) how many marks would you lose?

Exactly the same for me - I'm wondering this also if anyone could help/give us an estimate :0
Does anyone remember the marks breakdown im counting 71 as,

1)8,5
2)6,4 (work energy Q)
3)6 (Q for finding c)
4)5,4 (CoM)
5)8,4 (Moments)
6)6,5 (Projectiles)
7)7,2,3 (Collisions)
image.png

But that's a dimension, right? A value of height?

This is a positive constant
So how the hell did were we meant to do this question????I got 15 and same method as u
Original post by notrodash
Seemed alright, looking at this thread does inspire confidence. The wording in 1(b) threw me off though and I integrated between t=0 and t=3. Probably a loss of 2-3 marks if they give marks for the method and integration. In this question I found the determinant just to be sure that it didn't cross the t-axis, so maybe that's a method mark too?
Reply 636
Original post by mehtj006
Does anyone remember the marks breakdown im counting 71 as,

1)8,5
2)6,4 (work energy Q)
3)6 (Q for finding c)
4)5,4 (CoM)
5)8,4 (Moments)
6)6,5 (Projectiles)
7)7,2,3 (Collisions)

I believe projectiles (Q6) was 6,7
Original post by JLegion
Is it not 90 ums in M2 and S2 for an A*?
I'm trying for A* FM next year, and I was always told it was 90 ums in a FP module (2 or 3) and 90 in two other A2 modules (FP or applied).

If you're right, then my life is just that little bit easier.

As several others have pointed out it is 90 average across your best three A2 modules. As I already have D2 at 100 UMS this means I only need 85 in M2 and S2.
Original post by Beboxed
I believe projectiles (Q6) was 6,7

nice one mate
But that's a dimension, right? A value of height?

This is a positive constant

Yeah but you needed to use g to get it. So wouldn't it be 3sf max?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending