The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics Pure Core 4 MPC4 - 17th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Overall i'm really satisfied with C4, really fair paper which I wasn't expecting after C3. And I hate to fall in to the 'our year was the hardest' thing that every year seems to do. But C3 really was f******* ridiculous, hope everyone managed to pull their grades up with this after what felt like getting railed on by Mike Tyson on Wednesday. pce
Thank you!!
Original post by mgill17
i don't know the names of the topics bc i was literally taught core 4 in three weeks nor do i know if these are in order but...

Q1- binomial q - 11 marks (99% sure)
a) partial fraction 3 marks
b) binomial exp 7 marks
c) valid values of |x| 1 mark

q2-: Using the double angle formula on 3cos2(theta) to form and solve that quadratic - 5 marks (this is definite)

q3- the one with sina/sinb/cosa/cosb - 6? - i can't remember the individual parts apart from part a was a 1 marker:frown:

q4- the other partial fractions one 7?
There was the actual partial fraction (3 marks)
then the integral/area bit (4 marks?)

q5- exponential/decay - 11?
A) showing k was 1 mark
b) finding the m0 of the similar isotope was 2 marks?
C) finding the half life was 4 marks
*there was another part but i dont remember it*

q6- vectors - 15 (this is definite)
a)acute angle 5 marks
b) show they intersect 5 marks
c) find c and d 5 marks

q7- parametrics- 10
a) 5 or 6 marks? (finding gradient at t=2/3)
b) 2 marks (show that x=...)
c) 2 marks (show that the cartesian can be written in the form y=e/(fx)[ln(fx)])

q8- differential equation - 10 (this is definite)
a)3 marks
b) 7 marks

edit: I don't know why but i seem to think one of the questions was just two 4 markers, the only one that would fit with would be the second partial fraction question...someone correct me if they think i'm wrong and i'll edit
Original post by krishanj
What was question 3 i cant remmeber it :frown:

I think it was another separating variables question, followed by the integration of Ax + B + C/(2x-something)?
How many marks was the question what was write it in the form a + bx + something/2x-3
Original post by FluorescentM
The June 2011 paper which wasn't as hard as today's paper, was 51 for an A in C4.

Bloody Hell! That paper was a piece of cake - and it was 58 for A*! We are definitely safe then as this paper was much more difficult - in terms of the differential equation and the vectors...and the parametric equations.
Original post by 1TrueMeaning
Bloody Hell! That paper was a piece of cake - and it was 58 for A*! We are definitely safe then as this paper was much more difficult - in terms of the differential equation and the vectors...and the parametric equations.

It was a long time ago, so you better to compare our exam with the june 2015 one, which was of similar difficulty. A*=63, A=57
Original post by 09876543211
It was a long time ago, so you better to compare our exam with the june 2015 one, which was of similar difficulty. A*=63, A=57

Not being aggressive or argumentative - but I disagree that June 2015 was "of similar difficulty".

do u really reckon? im just too excited about that haha

what factors affect grade boundaries, i dont understand why they were so low in jun11 that paper's piss relatively speaking?
Original post by 09876543211

In regards to the grade boundaries, people likely did a lot better this year even though the exam was harder. After how abysmal Core 3 was everyone really had their tryhard pants on. So i'd expect an A to be around 57-58
Original post by asdgsgh
In regards to the grade boundaries, people likely did a lot better this year even though the exam was harder. After how abysmal Core 3 was everyone really had their tryhard pants on. So i'd expect an A to be around 57-58

Plus we had June 11, Jan June 2012 2013, June 2014 2015 papers for practice that June 2011 students didn't have access to. So can't really compare gb with June 2011, even if June 2011 was a piss (or not)
Anyone else get something like 0,20 and 30 as three of the coordinates or something like that for C and D?...
Can someone tell me the method for the vectors part c question. I used the intersection point and +-1/6 vector AB but now I think I'm wrong.
Did anyone else get -3ycos3y -sin3y=1/6tan(1.5x)+pi ?
Original post by hi-zen-berg
do u really reckon? im just too excited about that haha

what factors affect grade boundaries, i dont understand why they were so low in jun11 that paper's piss relatively speaking?

Me too!
I guess loads of people found it hard that year and probably got low scores - hence the boundaries were lowered to ensure that not everyone failed. Praying that this happens this year.:crossedf:
Original post by steph-carys
Pretty sure I got the same values as you and I can't see where we would've gone wrong, as I went over this again and again and my equations all worked out with these values

The answers were U=1 lambada is -1/2
Original post by C0balt
Plus we had June 11, Jan June 2012 2013, June 2014 2015 papers for practice that June 2011 students didn't have access to. So can't really compare gb with June 2011, even if June 2011 was a piss (or not)

If I could down vote I would.
Original post by gcsekid
The answers were U=1 lambada is -1/2

I thought lambda=1 and mu=1/2 and i got (2,0,-1)
Original post by Parhomus
I thought lambda=1 and mu=1/2 and i got (2,0,-1)

seconded; mu=1/2
If I could down vote I would.

Unfortunately he's got a very reasonable point
Can anyone please tell me how many marks I would lose for doing the trig question in radians instead of degrees ?? Would I lose like 3 marks ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending