The Student Room Group

Getting a head start on my A-levels

I Finished my GCSEs today, and over summer I would like to get a head start on my A-levels. I am doing physics (WJEC), Maths(OCR) , Economics(EDEXCEL) and politics(AQA).
Original post by V ugvg jhi
I Finished my GCSEs today, and over summer I would like to get a head start on my A-levels. I am doing physics (WJEC), Maths(OCR) , Economics(EDEXCEL) and politics(AQA).

Take a break! Trust me, you don't need to start now. The summer after I finished my GCSEs was the best holiday of my life.

I would take it very, very lightly.

Like, maybe 30 minutes every other day and read through a few pages and try a few questions. I would recommend knowing the first topic well before starting just so you're eased into the courses.
Reply 3

YES DO START NOW. Trust me, you'll thank yourself later. It will save you so much exam stress, sleepless nights and tearing your hair out days before your year 13 exams (speaking from experience . . .)

By all means take a break, but it would be good to introduce yourself to the subjects a bit. Try looking online or take a look at the specifications of your subjects. Just familiarise yourself with material so that it doesn't become a massive shock come September; that happened to me and I really struggled during the first few months.

A-Level is nothing like GCSE, it will smack you in the face so hard, especially in maths and physics. Once you get the hang of it though, it's a piece of piss (well, that's a slight over exaggeration).

Good luck :smile:
go through a c1 textbook :colone: chapter a day? but you'll be bored in maths lessons :/
or go buy some of those cgp head start books and start making physics notes or something.
Reply 5

If you really want to do something, perhaps watch some YT videos on the subjects?
@V ugvg jhi @High Stakes @shuu00 @Pentaquark

I decided to start early too but wasn't really serious about it. I only pulled up my socks after I read about this guy from Pakistan. He is my inspiration and I hope he motivates you too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Moeen_Nawazish

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/4398668/Teenager-gains-22-A-levels-in-12-months.html

[video="youtube;EbH_dWWIE1Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbH_dWWIE1Q[/video]

Maybe start doing some maths (use examsolutions). Can never hurt, something to put on your application to uni to show your dedication for a subject.

Brain needs to recover from GCSE madness
Reply 9

Complete maths and physics over the summer and everyday is summer for you ~

get the A level maths textbook and physics text book then the A2 books

Start by making a plan assuming you have 500 pages per textbook past A2
1000 pages over the summer

everyday 35 pages. after a while you will get used to it , don't forget to review/check you remember the 35 pages afterwards if not relearn missing parts. (make sure to use specifications for the subject)

Use your (strong)willpower and memorization skills you have gained to pull through.

Use the remaining summer time for past papers and ensuring you get 100% on each if not revise the topic you have not done so well in with book questions + Google.

Fight through the headaches, the pain is only for the summer then!

though it has been said before that A level maths has been finished in 2 weeks before, think of it as breaking that record maybe do 70 pages a day.
you have like 14 hrs spare time everyday.
I think I'll do the same. It never hurts to get a head start. I finished mine yesterday and I'm planning on reading the set texts for English Literature and looking at topics for History. As for Media Studies, it sounds as if it's not a horribly bad subject but I'll skim over it. I found GCSE's bad and I want to prepare myself as best as I can for A Level and revise from the word go because I left revision for GCSE's a month before the exams and I had to cram everything in and it just stressed me out beyond belief.
Reply 11
Original post by Aoba
Complete maths and physics over the summer and everyday is summer for you ~

get the A level maths textbook and physics text book then the A2 books

Start by making a plan assuming you have 500 pages per textbook past A2
1000 pages over the summer

everyday 35 pages. after a while you will get used to it , don't forget to review/check you remember the 35 pages afterwards if not relearn missing parts. (make sure to use specifications for the subject)

Use your (strong)willpower and memorization skills you have gained to pull through.

Use the remaining summer time for past papers and ensuring you get 100% on each if not revise the topic you have not done so well in with book questions + Google.

Fight through the headaches, the pain is only for the summer then!

though it has been said before that A level maths has been finished in 2 weeks before, think of it as breaking that record maybe do 70 pages a day.
you have like 14 hrs spare time everyday.

Thanks so much.I think i will do this, because everyone says the gap between GCSE and A-level is very big
35 pages of a text book a day?
How long is that meant to take?
Reply 13
The key thing for A-levels is having a good ground to work from. Thus make sure you are 100% confident with the GCSE content. It does not matter if you get a B or A* at GCSE. You will get the same content so give your self the same opportunity as the best in the class. In terms of preparation it helps a lot to read a head before lessons as you can prepare questions to ask and understand the content better but also commit it better to memory.

The main tip is not starting now. It is starting from the first day and every day after. To do well most likely you will need to revise from day one. It makes it so much easier because there is so much content. It starts easy so go in and work very hard to get the ethos to prepare you for when it bites you in the ass. Prepare for failure but prepare to learn from it.
Thank you!
I started some maths today and I think it will really help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest