The Student Room Group

WJEC C4 17th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Goodbye, A*. :sigh:
Reply 81
Original post by 98matt
The volume of revolution involved two trig equations. You had to spot that:
sin²x+cos²x = 1 (very easy)

sinxcosx + sinxcosx = sin2x (double angle formula thing)

then a simple integration to get 3.73

Posted from TSR Mobile

ok so i was really stupid and didn't spot that sin^2x + cos^2x = 1, used the whole rearranged double angle formula to integrate, and then integrated sin2x but i did get 3.73, so i just did it the really long way around, would i still get the 6 marks?
Reply 82
Can someone quote me when there is an unofficial mark scheme? Thanks :smile:
Original post by nh98
ok so i was really stupid and didn't spot that sin^2x + cos^2x = 1, used the whole rearranged double angle formula to integrate, and then integrated sin2x but i did get 3.73, so i just did it the really long way around, would i still get the 6 marks?

You probably would. It's still a correct method, and that gets you the marks unless it contradicts explicit instructions in the question.
Reply 84
Original post by Mango88
I integrated sin2x to get -cos2x/2, is that right?

Yes that's correct. Did you remember to integrate "1" into "x" also? If so, then you must've mistyped the numbers on your calculator - most likely 5/6 marks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
Original post by 98matt
Yes that's correct. Did you remember to integrate "1" into "x" also? If so, then you must've mistyped the numbers on your calculator - most likely 5/6 marks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah i did!! That's not too bad then, thank you!
Reply 86
Original post by nh98

Glad I'm not the only one did this. I was happy when others got the same answer 3.73 but when people started mentioning sin^2x + cos^2x = 1, I was thinking I just got really lucky.

Did you get 1/2 + 1/2 somewhere in your integral to get the 1? I think I remember doing that.
Original post by Dominae
Can someone quote me when there is an unofficial mark scheme? Thanks :smile:

@Dominae It's up on mathemateg
Original post by EJRicketts

How do you access it?
Reply 89

I can't access it aha :tongue:

Didn't think anybody without an account for the website could either :s-smilie:
Original post by Dominae
Glad I'm not the only one did this. I was happy when others got the same answer 3.73 but when people started mentioning sin^2x + cos^2x = 1, I was thinking I just got really lucky.

Did you get 1/2 + 1/2 somewhere in your integral to get the 1? I think I remember doing that.

It's because you did the Q completely mechanically without thinking lol.
What you did is immediately when you saw cos^2x and sin^2x you converted into
(1±cosx)/2 and then went from there... still right and still all the marks though.
Reply 91
Original post by IrrationalRoot
It's because you did the Q completely mechanically without thinking lol.
What you did is immediately when you saw cos^2x and sin^2x you converted into
(1±cosx)/2 and then went from there... still right and still all the marks though.

I have the tendency to do that. :tongue:

But hey, as long as you get the marks right. :colondollar:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hopefulmedicesty
How do you access it?

Original post by Dominae
I can't access it aha :tongue:

Didn't think anybody without an account for the website could either :s-smilie:

To access it just make an account and then you have to enrol onto the course, so C4. Use their twitter for the link to the file, make sure you translate as you go along through your browser haha
Reply 93
To access it just make an account and then you have to enrol onto the course, so C4. Use their twitter for the link to the file, make sure you translate as you go along through your browser haha

Somebody just posted a drop box for it on the other thread. I didn't realise anyone could make an account on the site, I thought it was only for students at a specific school :ahee: Where were you for the C3 exam!? :wink:

Also, let's take a moment to appreciate the fact that maths is the same in every language, cause I can't speak/read Welsh for ****.

Thank you !!!!!!!!
Reply 95
Original post by Hydeman
Goodbye, A*. :sigh:

:hugs:
Reply 97
Buggered up trig somehow cause I'm a simpleton, might have cost me a B grade in this paper but oh well :tongue:

Reckon I got 47 marks, hopefully which is a C
Reply 98
I will wet myself if I found out I have done better in C4 than C3

I think this unofficial mark scheme is wrong in one question. They have k/25 being greater than 1. But the maximum value of cosx is 1. So k/25 should be less than or equal to one and greater than or equal to -1. Am I a total idiot or am I right?

EDIT: No I get it now, I misread the question, my bad. It says no solutions, not solutions. That's a mark lost probably.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending