The Student Room Group

WJEC C3/C4 8th/17th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by welshgirl000
thankyou i deffo got that wrong then haha, i had 3 and 20 and 10/3

I can't remember exactly but yh unfortunately that's wrong you will probably never get fractions for them because it over complicates the mark scheme when differentiating.
Original post by Chemistry Master
It will be different this time usually half way 1 mark is 1 UMS and more than half marks would be 2 UMS each mark.
But since people have done so badly half way 1 mark = 2UMS and more than half will probably be 3 UMS per mark. So if you had 30 marks that would give you 90UMS.

I don't think this is likely. While it was hard, I don't think the boundaries will be lower than last year, and could even be a bit higher. 30/75 for 90 UMS would be a huge difference of 25 marks from last year (55/75 got you 90 UMS last year). And I say this as someone who is very much hoping for lower boundaries.

Original post by welshgirl000
thankyou i deffo got that wrong then haha, i had 3 and 20 and 10/3

Don't worry, you'll probaby get follow through marks for the second part. :smile:

It's always best to check your answer where possible by putting in a given x value into each side of the expression to see if they equal each other.
Original post by Chemistry Master
It will be different this time usually half way 1 mark is 1 UMS and more than half marks would be 2 UMS each mark.
But since people have done so badly half way 1 mark = 2UMS and more than half will probably be 3 UMS per mark. So if you had 30 marks that would give you 90UMS.

Sorry, but they're never going to put 40% raw marks as an A* (90ums), else the rest of the grade boundaries would have a gap of 2 or 3 marks! Last year's paper was 73% for 90ums so I very much doubt it will be much less than 70%. Most likely 70%-80% which is 53-60 raw marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
What was the question part before the tan^3 question part? Something about a proof??
Original post by Firestartc
What was the question part before the tan^3 question part? Something about a proof??

It was a show question where you derived the cubic equation from one given in the question.

Or if you mean the one before that - it was the implicit differentiation question where you had to work out the coordinates of the points where dy/dx = - 2.
Original post by Hydeman
I don't think this is likely. While it was hard, I don't think the boundaries will be lower than last year, and could even be a bit higher. 30/75 for 90 UMS would be a huge difference of 25 marks from last year (55/75 got you 90 UMS last year). And I say this as someone who is very much hoping for lower boundaries.

Don't worry, you'll probaby get follow through marks for the second part. :smile:

It's always best to check your answer where possible by putting in a given x value into each side of the expression to see if they equal each other.

thankyou! its so weird i checked it like 3 times and kept on getting the same answers haha!
I can't read Welsh but Mathemateg just posted this on their twitter: https://t.co/5BwGXNTfQ5 can anyway access it?
Original post by jwstarfish
I can't read Welsh but Mathemateg just posted this on their twitter: https://t.co/5BwGXNTfQ5 can anyway access it?

Anyone that has direct link to PDF please share. These mathemateg twitter links never work for me :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Grade boundaries predictions ?
Considering i got 61/75 for C3 and 63/75 will i come out with an A or A*?
Original post by English-help
Considering i got 61/75 for C3 and 63/75 will i come out with an A or A*?

Impossible to say for certain, especially since it also depends on how you did on your applied exam.

Though if the boundaries are similar to last year and you've done okay in stats/mechanics, it would most likely be an A*.
Original post by Hydeman
Impossible to say for certain, especially since it also depends on how you did on your applied exam.

Though if the boundaries are similar to last year and you've done okay in stats/mechanics, it would most likely be an A*.

Ahh okay well ive got above 80+ in C1 , C2 , S1 & S2 so yep :smile: Hopefully my A* dream comes true :biggrin:
Can anyone translate that paragraph written about the gradient = -2 question? I think I've done okay :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apparently I got 100%! Shoop da woop! :biggrin:
Hi, for the indefinite integral, it didnt state to simplify the answer so if I didnt simplifiy it, will i still get the marks? Also, I got p=10 for the vector which is correct, hence can i assume i got this whole question correct?
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi, for the indefinite integral, it didnt state to simplify the answer so if I didnt simplifiy it, will i still get the marks? Also, I got p=10 for the vector which is correct, hence can i assume i got this whole question correct?

Any equivilant answer is fine for the integration by part - my final answer was not identical to mathemateg's last line either. For the vectors you should get 5/5 marks on that section ; I doubt you messed it up but still got the correct final answer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also, I got p=10 for the vector which is correct, hence can i assume i got this whole question correct?

If you did the dot product bit at the end too, then yes.
Original post by 98matt
Sorry, but they're never going to put 40% raw marks as an A* (90ums), else the rest of the grade boundaries would have a gap of 2 or 3 marks! Last year's paper was 73% for 90ums so I very much doubt it will be much less than 70%. Most likely 70%-80% which is 53-60 raw marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well sorry but they did on a CH4 exam where 30! out of 80 was an A and chemistry is harder than mathematics as well as a higher UMS of 120. That is how badly it was done.
The grade boundaries are based on the median of pupils grades in the exams in other words x bar.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending