The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Promiscuous women or men are more likely to cheat.

And cheating on a partner to whom you my have promised exclusivity is a dishonest and despicable act.

If you want to claim your slut prowess in front of me you best brace yourself for a verbal onslaught. :cool:
its just unattractive. girls dont have to justify what behaviours they find attractive in men, why this sudden call for men to not have their own standards as well?
Original post by Anonymous
No man wants a slut for a wife, unless he's a cuck. No man would want a slut for a girlfriend, I know I wouldn't. Their maternal value is much less and if they are unable to maintain relationships because they're sluts then why would anyone want such a woman to settle down and have Children with. Funny how feminists advocate this sort of thing really, and then wonder why men don't respect women when they hand out sex to anyone like candy. Women are probably becoming more polygamous, which leads to the breakdown of society. Why would a man emotional and financially invest in someone, that is a slut?
It's like picking 1 type of candy that has a 10 percent chance of killing you and another that has a 50 percent chance, go for the one that has 10 percent, the non slut(far less likely to cheat on you, divorce you and take any children and half your money).

As a man, I'd say sleeping with several partners has no relation to your ability to be in a relationship as long as the person in question wasn't cheating with someone by sleeping around. Just because they have had several sexual partners doesn't mean they'll cheat on you. And honestly, it can be sorta flattering if someone who has had sex with several partners want to be with you, whether this is a man or woman. They've been around and thought you're a pretty good option to have a relationship with compared to other people. Not sure why being polygamous leads to breakdown of society; men have been polygamous in many societies throughout history and it didn't lead to a breakdown at all.
And men aren't the only one investing emotionally and financially in relationship. It's a very 50/50 partnership affair, and that is what a relationship is before **** like how many people you've slept with.
As for the topic of this thread, the belief of being a slut is wrong only really came with the advent of Christianity. My own personal theory is that the Egyptian values of monogamy was instilled in the people they ruled. This included early followers of Judaism and ancestors of the founders of Islam. As these two religions spread, this idea was reinforced more and more. If you look at ancient civilisations in China, India, South America and so on, there was less emphasis on women being 'sluts'.
And so people just had this notion because it's what millennia of religious reinforcement has instilled into people.
Feel free to argue anything I've said
Pretty much everything;
Higher risk of STDs.
Higher risk of pregnancy.
More likely to cheat.
Less appealing for a partner.
Shows you have shared the most personal connection possible with lots of people.
Degeneracy.
It was a term used really to control women. Its like all that ladylike stuff where women arnt supposed to swear and burp. Of course no one likes to hear people nor likes the thought of being with someone who has slept around However with men having the control throughout history they could have fun/display these behavours themselves but at the same time didnt want to put up with these behaviours from women so shaming tactics such at 'slut' 'whore' 'unladylike' name calling was used. Thats one opinion anyway :tongue:
Original post by TheIr0nDuke
Pretty much everything;
Higher risk of STDs.
Higher risk of pregnancy.
More likely to cheat.
Less appealing for a partner.
Shows you have shared the most personal connection possible with lots of people.
Degeneracy.

Genuine question: Why is it less appealing?
What's the point of being a slut? If you want fun, you can have fun with one person in a relationship and you aren't likely to catch anything. Sleeping around with multiple people may be fun at the time but not for the long run. One day the slut will fall in love but no one will want to settle with a slut unless they are one themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DodaWilliams
Genuine question: Why is it less appealing?

Knowing that the person you are with has slept with 30+ people would not make you feel special in the slightest.

Given it's the most personal connection one can have with a person, sharing that connection with so many is just wrong.

I wouldn't date anyone who had slept with a large amount of people. It's about integrity and self control.
Original post by TheIr0nDuke
Knowing that the person you are with has slept with 30+ people would not make you feel special in the slightest.

Given it's the most personal connection one can have with a person, sharing that connection with so many is just wrong.

I wouldn't date anyone who had slept with a large amount of people. It's about integrity and self control.

Hm. I get where you're coming from, but I guess I disagree with the fact that being special to someone has anything to do with sex. Just my opinion and you have yours I guess :smile:
Reply 69
Original post by *Stefan*
Here we go again, the 'opinion' facade. For when one cannot accept the futility and silliness of their statement, it's an 'opinion' and thus need not be explained.

Whatever floats your boat. No argument here.

Well done, you've finally got the hang of opinions.
Reply 70
Original post by offhegoes
Well done, you've finally got the hang of opinions.

Yes, because opinions equal utter gibberish which one cannot justify and thus tries to change the discussion :rolleyes:
Reply 71
Yes, because opinions equal utter gibberish which one cannot justify and thus tries to change the discussion :rolleyes:

His original remark, which you took issue with because he didn't specifically say it was an opinion, was pretty much a direct and on-topic response to the question. Now you seem to accept that he was expressing an opinion. But, whoops, the goalposts have now changed and now you're grumbling because you don't like his opinion.
Reply 72
His original remark, which you took issue with because he didn't specifically say it was an opinion, was pretty much a direct and on-topic response to the question. Now you seem to accept that he was expressing an opinion. But, whoops, the goalposts have now changed and now you're grumbling because you don't like his opinion.

What are you on about? Trying hard to sound like a pseudo-intellectual?

Opinions are nothing when one cannot substantiate it. The "majority believe it so it must be right" is only partly an opinion, and a seriously wrong one at that.

Perhaps understand what opinions and criticisms mean before posting this crap.
Reply 73
What are you on about? Trying hard to sound like a pseudo-intellectual?

Opinions are nothing when one cannot substantiate it. The "majority believe it so it must be right" is only partly an opinion, and a seriously wrong one at that.

Perhaps understand what opinions and criticisms mean before posting this crap.

You can have an opinion without being able to substantiate it to your satisfaction. This is your issue. You misunderstand what an opinion is and you are arrogant enough to think that: a) someone else should substantiate it when expressing it, and b) their reasoning must appeal to your method of reasoning.

Just grow up. People have opinions. I think you're a tool. Get over it.
lool nothing wrong with it at all
Reply 75
You can have an opinion without being able to substantiate it to your satisfaction. This is your issue. You misunderstand what an opinion is and you are arrogant enough to think that: a) someone else should substantiate it when expressing it, and b) their reasoning must appeal to your method of reasoning.

Just grow up. People have opinions. I think you're a tool. Get over it.

I'm the tool? Oh the irony. He posted on an online forum, something which does not even qualify as an opinion, and I asked how he came to that grossly wrong conclusion. It's evident that you agree with him, but do disguise that with utter gibberish which only show your immaturity and illiteracy is quite pathetic.

So, instead of acting like a failure of a SJW, why don't you follow your advice and grow up indeed? All you're giving me now are knee-jerk reactions, wasting my time.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
It is not well-researched on my part, mainly what I would assume, and I would be very happy to hear a good explanation for it/to be proven wrong. But I'm not sure where your problem lies. I think biological factors drive people very much. Why do we find incest so disgusting, for instance? We on an intuitive level know it is not biologically optimal behaviour. This seems similar.

My post not far above this one being quoted explains my stance on the issue.
Original post by ubiquitousking
He's touching on an explanation from evolutionary psychologists who claim that females will look for one partner who is committed, has "access to resources" (££) and is (emotionally) mature, because these are qualities that would increase the survival of offspring (in the "EEA" -- Environment of Evolutionary Adaptedness).
It also claims that, because of issues of paternal and maternal certainty, female infidelity was viewed upon as worse because men couldn't determine veraciously whether any children the female had was actually his (whereas she could be certain that it was hers). This exists as an evolutionary hangover of sorts.

So it doesn't make zero sense......

I dispute the evolutionary theory's validity though.

I've made a counter proposal not far form this post being quoted. It makes a lot more sense then the theory you're going with. Evo psych is a new field and there are many schools of thought.

Posted from TSR Mobile
nothing - all single women should be sluts
Reply 79
I'm the tool? Oh the irony. He posted on an online forum, something which does not even qualify as an opinion, and I asked how he came to that grossly wrong conclusion. It's evident that you agree with him, but do disguise that with utter gibberish which only show your immaturity and illiteracy is quite pathetic.

So, instead of acting like a failure of a SJW, why don't you follow your advice and grow up indeed? All you're giving me now are knee-jerk reactions, wasting my time.

Someone posted an opinion on a forum? And didn't back it up to your satisfaction? Wow, that's got to be a crime, surely?

I actually disagree with his opinion, but I have an even greater distaste for people who can't accept that someone else has a different opinion. You can't even accept that it is an opinion - incredible!

Read this and tell me in what way what he expressed "does not even qualify as an opinion".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion
And don't worry, it's not too technical. I could follow it and I'm illiterate.

Latest