The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

This didn't go too well for me, I could've done a lot better if I'd thought more about the order to attempt questions in. I'd appreciate someones opinions on how many marks I will have picked up.

Q3 - Full apart from didn't realise they required justification for the last part, I did leave an explanation for even n but I don't think it was very good, and I assumed for odd n it was obvious enough from a sketch.
Q5 - Full
Q6 - Did eveything up until the last part, where I got a differential equation for v but I didn't solve it
Q7 - (I should've attempted this way earlier instead of in the last couple of minutes) did the first bit and the first integral but then ran out of time.
Q8 - Did everything from the start and showed the first approximation then skipped to showing the error term and then wrote down some stuff on the way to doing the last bit but didn't get an answer.

reckon this might scrape a 2?
be rate u know
How likely is 74 to be a 1?
Original post by happyrubbit
This didn't go too well for me, I could've done a lot better if I'd thought more about the order to attempt questions in. I'd appreciate someones opinions on how many marks I will have picked up.

Q3 - Full apart from didn't realise they required justification for the last part, I did leave an explanation for even n but I don't think it was very good, and I assumed for odd n it was obvious enough from a sketch.
Q5 - Full
Q6 - Did eveything up until the last part, where I got a differential equation for v but I didn't solve it
Q7 - (I should've attempted this way earlier instead of in the last couple of minutes) did the first bit and the first integral but then ran out of time.
Q8 - Did everything from the start and showed the first approximation then skipped to showing the error term and then wrote down some stuff on the way to doing the last bit but didn't get an answer.

reckon this might scrape a 2?

Yeah that sounds like it should definitely get a 2 atleast, a 1 is more probable, sounds like you will be close to the 1/2 border

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are there any values for hyperbolic trig function that you're supposed to know, like for normal trig function your expected to know 30,45,60 ect. ? (My school doesn't do FP3 and i was planning on avoiding hyperbolic trig questions however if there are lots of vectors and complex numbers questions i might not have much of a choice)
Original post by smartalan73
Are there any values for hyperbolic trig function that you're supposed to know, like for normal trig function your expected to know 30,45,60 ect. ? (My school doesn't do FP3 and i was planning on avoiding hyperbolic trig questions however if there are lots of vectors and complex numbers questions i might not have much of a choice)

Well probs good to know the values at 0. However unlike with trig you can just calculate values as there are simple closed formulas
Original post by mathsman22
How likely is 74 to be a 1?

hold on lemme do a number crunch real quick

well you're looking at a chance of 67.3 percent

repeating of course

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 16Characters....
Out of interest how did people show that the point of intersection lay on C2 for Q1? I solved for x to get the x coordinate of intersection in terms of the parameters and then rearranged the equation of the tangents to the form x = ... solved for the y-coordinates and hence found 4y^2 and 3x - 1 in terms of the parameters and showed they were equal. Was finding y just by substituting the value of x into the equation of the tangent any simpler?

Wait.. You have said was finding y from subbing x into tangent equations simpler? But you said that you did that at the start??
I assume I have done what you did.
I solved the eqs of tangent found x=1/3(sum of parameters squared-1) and y=-1/2(sum of paramters) then subbed into C_2 and easily comes out as equal. I think the other method of trying to connect the eqs is also easy from the equations since it follows ny product of paramters=-1 and sum of squares =(m+n)^2-2mn noting mn=-1.
Could anyone please give my a rough mark for my paper (previous page)? :redface:
Reply 1829
Original post by IrrationalRoot
I think I did pretty badly, only get 1 full :frown:. Please be harsh anyway...

Wot.

15 + 7 + 18 + 18 + 12 + 20 = 90...

lol k going to kill myself
Original post by Zacken
Wot.

15 + 7 + 18 + 18 + 12 + 20 = 90...

lol k going to kill myself

Oh that's good, but I just hope I'm not gonna be like a mark under S. Like either hit it or completely miss it, please don't be teasingly close.

More importantly I hope you somehow get a 1 in this paper, you more than deserve it (deserve it more than me lol, and what am I gonna do with a 1 anyway).
Original post by Cnoel
Thanks! Yeah just had a little stab at 9 right at the end, in case I'd completed messed up any others, it'd be 4/5 safety marks. 8 marks is a lot for 6(iv) but I'm sure you know what you're talking about more than me

I don't really know (I didn't do it myself) but that's what other people have said, and it seems like it would have been quite a lot of work. Either way, you should have a 1.
Original post by smartalan73

Hyperbolic trig functions don't really come up as a topic by themselves, I think most commonly they appear in integral substitutions. You can work out any values you need with the exponential definitions, so you don't need to learn any. I'd definitely recommend looking at them a bit, I've not properly done FP3 and I found the chapter on them easy to self-teach.
Original post by StrangeBanana
hold on lemme do a number crunch real quick

well you're looking at a chance of 67.3 percent

repeating of course

Spoiler

Leeeeeeroy Jeeeeenkins.

Posted from TSR Mobile
generalisation of q6 im bored

Spoiler

Original post by Insight314
Leeeeeeroy Jeeeeenkins.

Posted from TSR Mobile

WoW nerd
Original post by gasfxekl
WoW nerd

Takes one to know one, nerd.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

[video="youtube;8iO5-ic0Ug4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iO5-ic0Ug4[/video]

Posted from TSR Mobile

true that
Original post by physicsmaths
Wait.. You have said was finding y from subbing x into tangent equations simpler? But you said that you did that at the start??
I assume I have done what you did.
I solved the eqs of tangent found x=1/3(sum of parameters squared-1) and y=-1/2(sum of paramters) then subbed into C_2 and easily comes out as equal. I think the other method of trying to connect the eqs is also easy from the equations since it follows ny product of paramters=-1 and sum of squares =(m+n)^2-2mn noting mn=-1.

Never mind mate, my question was extremely badly worded and a bit pointless anyway. I should be preparing for III lol.

Quick Reply

Latest