The Student Room Group

AQA Physics Unit 2 - Unofficial Markscheme

Scroll to see replies

What do you reckon the grade boundaries will be ?
Original post by nisha.sri
What do you reckon the grade boundaries will be ?

Assuming you've all three sciences at paper 2 level. B2, C2 and P2. These are only estimates so dont take my word for it!

Biology:
A* - 46
A - 38
B - 31
C - 26

Chemistry:
A* - 50
A - 42
B - 34
C - 28

Physics:
A* - 44
A - 37
B - 30
C - 25
Wasn't the acceleration 12.02 m/s/s as you had to work out the resultant force so take away the two forces?
Original post by lily628
thought i would get one actually filled in so:
in red are the questions/answers i can't remember

1. BALL IN OIL QUESTION
What could go wrong? [1]

She could start/stop the stopwatch at the wrong time

When was the timer started and why? [2]

Before because it took longer than expected

Another question here?

?

Why has the ball reached its terminal velocity?

Its weight became equal to its drag

Question on graphs? (i think there were two questions)?

2. RADIATION PARTICLES [10]
What is an alpha particle? [1]

A helium nucleus (two protons and two neutrons)

Which is the least ionising? [1]

Gamma waves

What happens to the ion when it is ionised? [1]

It loses electrons and becomes a positively charged ion.

What precautions must people who work with radiation take? [1]

Wear a film badge / a lead apron / reduce time exposed to radiation

Differences of Alpha, Beta and Gamma [6]

Alpha has the smallest range in air and can penetrate very little, deflects to the negative side of a magnetic field

Beta has a medium range in air and can penetrate substances up to aluminium, deflects to the positive side of a magnetic field

Gamma has the largest range in air and can penetrate substances up to lead. it does not have a charge so doesn't deflect in a magnetic field

3. CIRCUITS QUESTION
Which one of the diagrams shows 4.5V in the cells? [1]

It was the diagram with two facing the same way on the top part and one seemingly facing the other way on the lower part (if you went around the circuit they actually worked in the same direction)

What would the voltage of the circuit be? [2]

9V + 3V = 12V

Because voltage is shared in a series circuit

Where would the ammeter go? [1]

Could put it anywhere as long as it was not in parallel

Questions about the resistor and variable resistor?

4. MAINS ELECTRICITY
What are the materials inside a plug? [4]

Pins are brass because they conduct electricity

Casing is plastic because it is an insulator

Which wire is connected to the fuse? [1]

Live Wire

How do the fuse and earth wire work together? [2]

The large current travels through the earth wire and sends the current towards the earth

The large current melts the fuse and breaks the circuit

How does the current affect the wire? [1]

It increases its temperature

6. SPRING EXTENSION QUESTION
Which energy is it stored as? [1]

Elastic Potential

How do you know it is still in the limit of proportionality? [1]

The line is still directly proportional

What is the spring constant of the spring? [2]

You could use any point of the graph and get 400

Unit: N/m

What is the force for all three springs? [1]

300N

7. SPACE QUESTION
How does a star form [2]

Dust and gas spiral together through the force of gravity and form a protostar

Kinetic energy is produced and the star starts to glow and undergo fusion

What is nuclear fusion [2]

When two smaller nuclei join together to form a larger nucleus

Question here? [?]

?

Why can they now see brown dwarfs? [1]

New technology developments (i.e new telescopes)

What would the theory say about the universe? [1]

Other stars would have planets orbiting around them

What evidence does this give to the proof? [1]

can't really remember?

Question about a supernova? [1]

?

8. JETPACK QUESTION
What is happening to? [1]

It is at a terminal velocity (the force gravity is equal to the force of the water)

What is his weight? [3]

84kg (can't remember details of this question)

Another calculation I can't remember?

?

MISPLACED QUESTIONS + ANSWERS
What power did the boy produce (chin up question)? [4]

Had to use the gravitational potential formula to find the energy

Then you multiplied that number by 12 (number of chin ups) and used to power formula

52W

Question about current? [2]

0.015A

Question about acceleration? [3]

22 m/s^2

Spoiler

the answer to the lat question is 12m/s squared as you minus the force of his weight I think
Original post by lily628
thought i would get one actually filled in so:
in red are the questions/answers i can't remember

1. BALL IN OIL QUESTION
What could go wrong? [1]

She could start/stop the stopwatch at the wrong time

When was the timer started and why? [2]

Before because it took longer than expected

Another question here?

?

Why has the ball reached its terminal velocity?

Its weight became equal to its drag

Question on graphs? (i think there were two questions)?

2. RADIATION PARTICLES [10]
What is an alpha particle? [1]

A helium nucleus (two protons and two neutrons)

Which is the least ionising? [1]

Gamma waves

What happens to the ion when it is ionised? [1]

It loses electrons and becomes a positively charged ion.

What precautions must people who work with radiation take? [1]

Wear a film badge / a lead apron / reduce time exposed to radiation

Differences of Alpha, Beta and Gamma [6]

Alpha has the smallest range in air and can penetrate very little, deflects to the negative side of a magnetic field

Beta has a medium range in air and can penetrate substances up to aluminium, deflects to the positive side of a magnetic field

Gamma has the largest range in air and can penetrate substances up to lead. it does not have a charge so doesn't deflect in a magnetic field

3. CIRCUITS QUESTION
Which one of the diagrams shows 4.5V in the cells? [1]

It was the diagram with two facing the same way on the top part and one seemingly facing the other way on the lower part (if you went around the circuit they actually worked in the same direction)

What would the voltage of the circuit be? [2]

9V + 3V = 12V

Because voltage is shared in a series circuit

Where would the ammeter go? [1]

Could put it anywhere as long as it was not in parallel

Questions about the resistor and variable resistor?

4. MAINS ELECTRICITY
What are the materials inside a plug? [4]

Pins are brass because they conduct electricity

Casing is plastic because it is an insulator

Which wire is connected to the fuse? [1]

Live Wire

How do the fuse and earth wire work together? [2]

The large current travels through the earth wire and sends the current towards the earth

The large current melts the fuse and breaks the circuit

How does the current affect the wire? [1]

It increases its temperature

6. SPRING EXTENSION QUESTION
Which energy is it stored as? [1]

Elastic Potential

How do you know it is still in the limit of proportionality? [1]

The line is still directly proportional

What is the spring constant of the spring? [2]

You could use any point of the graph and get 400

Unit: N/m

What is the force for all three springs? [1]

300N

7. SPACE QUESTION
How does a star form [2]

Dust and gas spiral together through the force of gravity and form a protostar

Kinetic energy is produced and the star starts to glow and undergo fusion

What is nuclear fusion [2]

When two smaller nuclei join together to form a larger nucleus

Question here? [?]

?

Why can they now see brown dwarfs? [1]

New technology developments (i.e new telescopes)

What would the theory say about the universe? [1]

Other stars would have planets orbiting around them

What evidence does this give to the proof? [1]

can't really remember?

Question about a supernova? [1]

?

8. JETPACK QUESTION
What is happening to? [1]

It is at a terminal velocity (the force gravity is equal to the force of the water)

What is his weight? [3]

84kg (can't remember details of this question)

Another calculation I can't remember?

?

MISPLACED QUESTIONS + ANSWERS
What power did the boy produce (chin up question)? [4]

Had to use the gravitational potential formula to find the energy

Then you multiplied that number by 12 (number of chin ups) and used to power formula

52W

Question about current? [2]

0.015A

Question about acceleration? [3]

22 m/s^2

Spoiler

The missing question about the variable resistor and fixed resistor was what was the resistance of the fixed resistor. I think it was 600 ohms because when the variable resistor had a resistance of 600 omhs, both resistors had a voltage of 6V. Since the current must be the same (they were in series), the voltage was the same and V=IR, the resistance must be the same. Therefore, the resistance of the fixed resistor was 600 ohms. Also, on the question about acceleration, I got 12 m/s^2. The question said that the upwards force was 1850N. I thought that just meant the force from the water pushing him up. If that is what they meant, the resultant force would be (1850-840=1010N), making the acceleration 12m/s^2. However, if they meant that the resultant force was 1850N, then it was 22m/s^2. It seems a bit ambiguous to me.
Original post by WillCrowe00
The missing question about the variable resistor and fixed resistor was what was the resistance of the fixed resistor. I think it was 600 ohms because when the variable resistor had a resistance of 600 omhs, both resistors had a voltage of 6V. Since the current must be the same (they were in series), the voltage was the same and V=IR, the resistance must be the same. Therefore, the resistance of the fixed resistor was 600 ohms. Also, on the question about acceleration, I got 12 m/s^2. The question said that the upwards force was 1850N. I thought that just meant the force from the water pushing him up. If that is what they meant, the resultant force would be (1850-840=1010N), making the acceleration 12m/s^2. However, if they meant that the resultant force was 1850N, then it was 22m/s^2. It seems a bit ambiguous to me.

Yes I got the same answer too, I'm not sure why they'd five us the force of gravity if they didn't want us to use it in our calculations, past papers they always seem to give us only the revelevant stuff
Original post by BDunlop
Yes I got the same answer too, I'm not sure why they'd five us the force of gravity if they didn't want us to use it in our calculations, past papers they always seem to give us only the revelevant stuff

Good point. Also, I'm pretty sure they called it the upwards force rather than resultant force which would suggest that it's just the force from the water pushing him up.
Good point. Also, I'm pretty sure they called it the upwards force rather than resultant force which would suggest that it's just the force from the water pushing him up.

They definitely called it the upwards force not the resultant force!

Original post by BDunlop

You're right in everything you've said. Btw for the question on the resistor, I put 600 ohms, but then did some maths as reasoning. Will it count?
Original post by 1jonam16
You're right in everything you've said. Btw for the question on the resistor, I put 600 ohms, but then did some maths as reasoning. Will it count?

Lol I used ratios to get 600 ohms, had no clue what i was doing

I didn't do enough practice to understand exactly what that resistance question was asking to do, as long as you followed through your answer to the above question working out the current, they have to still give you the marks if you calculate correctly. But yeah, I had no idea about working out the fixed resistance ngl
Bloody hell that was the worst paper I've ever done in my life!

Posted from TSR Mobile
The question about the supernova (not word for word):

Elements heavier than iron only form during a bigger stars life cycle, why does this suggest the Earth was formed from a star?
The last question about the jetpack is the acceleration answer.

The force of the man and the jetpack increase to 1850 N. Using the answer you got from the previous question, calculate his acceleration.
Original post by SunnyBoys
Lol I used ratios to get 600 ohms, had no clue what i was doing

I think ratios is the "clever" way to do it; I simply tried to quickly calculate it lol
Original post by BDunlop
I didn't do enough practice to understand exactly what that resistance question was asking to do, as long as you followed through your answer to the above question working out the current, they have to still give you the marks if you calculate correctly. But yeah, I had no idea about working out the fixed resistance ngl

oh fair enough, do you htink that if i write my answer to one question in the answer lines and then continue my answer into answer lines below for a different quuestion, but obviously use arrows to indicate i have done so, it will be marked?
Original post by Everydaygent
The question about the supernova (not word for word):

Elements heavier than iron only form during a bigger stars life cycle, why does this suggest the Earth was formed from a star?

We have eleme to heavier than iron on earth which could have only been formed during a super nova explosion thus there must have been a supernova
I think ratios is the "clever" way to do it; I simply tried to quickly calculate it lol

Just that it could not explain at all why ratios got me the answer, as I didn't even know that the ratios got me the correct answer in the first place. I originally attempted to use current but current changes in the series circuit as the resistance changes so it couldn't be used. How could I have explained something I didn't even understand lol :cry:
oh fair enough, do you htink that if i write my answer to one question in the answer lines and then continue my answer into answer lines below for a different quuestion, but obviously use arrows to indicate i have done so, it will be marked?

You have to remember they are humans and so if it was clear then I don't see why the examiners would be dicks about it, I'm sure you'll be alright. If you re reslly worried about it you could talk to your examination officer and maybe get advice from him
cool thank you :smile:
Original post by BDunlop
You have to remember they are humans and so if it was clear then I don't see why the examiners would be dicks about it, I'm sure you'll be alright. If you re reslly worried about it you could talk to your examination officer and maybe get advice from him

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending