The Student Room Group

Edexcel IGCSE Physics Paper 2 Unofficial Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by M12345678
I thought it was -22.1 because change in momentum was -1.55?

its +22 because directipn of change doesn't matter

Posted from TSR Mobile
moments question was 200 bcos all numbers in question were to 2sf
Reply 62
Original post by Laith Selman
The answer to the question about the range of a beta particle was definitely 50cm. They can travel up to 6 feet in air or 2 metres but no chance of 50 metres, absolutely no chance. Google it.

Up to 50m as in anywere under 50m
If it can do 1m then it can do more then 50cm which makes that definetely wrong as it talks about maximum, it's a bad question so both questions are wrong but up to 50cm is more wrong
Original post by Hsevras
its +22 because directipn of change doesn't matter

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will I lose marks for that then 😕
It does not matter to how many significant figures you answer to. They always accept the whole values.
Original post by Laith Selman
What was that question where you had to calculate the force of a hammer? I think it was about momentum and it gave you a specific time in which the momentum changed to zero or something. I remember using my answer from the previous question and dividing it by the specific time given to calculate the force. Curious to know if anyone else did the same?

yeah you did the right thing, the answer was 22.1N
What was the question for 1e? Was it a multiple choice? I can't remember writing light
Reply 67
Original post by Kristina.24
What was the question for 1e? Was it a multiple choice? I can't remember writing light

multiple choice

Posted from TSR Mobile
after reading the mark scheme i prob got 50+ out of 60 which means i got an A star. The paper this year was very easy, right guys?
Original post by hood sniper
after reading the mark scheme i prob got 50+ out of 60 which means i got an A star. The paper this year was very easy, right guys?

it was easier than paper 1. wasnt hard but wasnt easy either, i think i got around 50 as well, overall grade boundaries should be in the low 130s though
Original post by Strogino_12
it was easier than paper 1. wasnt hard but wasnt easy either, i think i got around 50 as well, overall grade boundaries should be in the low 130s though

lower than 130 would be great however i doubt it
Reply 71
For the last question (how evaporation leads to cooling), there was another question that came up on a past paper that was basically the same thing and the mark scheme said:

Any three of:
evaporation as liquid to gas/vapour;
higher (kinetic) energy/faster particles/moleculesleave/ evaporate;
reducing (average) energy of particles left /heatremaining;
reducing temperature;
Reply 72
Original post by defenestrated
Please comment answers (and question numbers/marks for the question if you remember) :biggrin:

this is just what I remember and I'm probably wrong so pls correct me

1. a. Alpha (1)
b. Alpha (1)
c. 50cm (1)
d. Atomic number increases by 1 (1)
e. Light (1)

2. a. Arrow going from north to south on two different field lines (2)
b. Arrow pointing from the wire to the left (2)
c. Straight and regularly spaced lines between the magnets (uniform field) and arrows going from north to south (2)

Definition of pitch:
The frequency of a wave, the higher the frequency the higher the pitch (2)

Equipment for experiment:
Ruler/tape measure (1)
Oscilloscope (1)

Independent variable: length of pipe (1)
Dependent variable: frequency (1)

To improve the experiment (3):
1. Do repeats and calculate an average
2. Avoid parallax error
3. Avoid zero error

Static electricity:
a. Friction causes electrons to be transferred which have a negative charge (2)
b. i. charge = current x time (1)
ii. 0.002 A (2)
c. The guy still gets a shock because he is electrically charged and the button is made out of metal, which is a conductor, so the electrons are attracted to the charge which causes a shock (3)

Compass experiment:
Place a bar magnet on a piece of paper and a plotting compass at one pole, mark with a dot where the arrow points to, move the compass to that point, and carry on until the compass is at the other pole. Join up all the dots with a curved line and repeat this with different starting points for the compass. (3)

Digital signal:
a. It's digital because there are only two values on the graph, 0 and 9 (1)
b. You can increase the amount of information being sent by quantisation and increasing bandwith (2)

Energy question:
a. work = force x distance
5460 joules (2)
b. 5460 joules (1) (has to be the same answer as what you got for a)

Momentum:
a. momentum = mass x velocity (1)
b. 1.55 kgm/s (2)
c. 22.1 N (3)
d. There was an equal and opposite force - make reference to either Newton's third law or the principle of conservation of momentum (2)
e. Pressure = force/area
The force is the same but the area in contact with the wood is smaller than the area in contact with the hammer, making the pressure larger (2)

Moments:
a. the X should be above where the weight acts, roughly centre (1)
b. moment = force x perpendicular distance (1)
c. 201N or 202N (4)

Convection current:
Air is heated, particles gain kinetic energy and become further apart, it's less dense than the surrounding air so it rises, cooler air from outside moves in to replace it (4)

Evaporation:
Kinetic energy is not evenly distributed throughout the water, the particles with the most kinetic energy will evaporate first, this reduces the overall kinetic energy of the water and kinetic energy is directly proportional to kelvin temperature (3)

Reply 73
question 1e) was about which wave has the largest frequency so isnt the answer gamma ray
Reply 74
Original post by JezzaO
question 1e) was about which wave has the largest frequency so isnt the answer gamma ray

light has a higher frequency than gamma though
Reply 75
Original post by Hsevras
light has a higher frequency than gamma though

gamma has a higher frequency doesnt it? visible light has a lower frequency than gamma i thought
Original post by JezzaO

Original post by rcmack
gamma has a higher frequency doesnt it? visible light has a lower frequency than gamma i thought

it does but gamma wasn't an option
it was out of light, radiowaves, microwaves and sound :smile:
Reply 77
I think a* will be 130
Reply 78
Original post by Alomak
I think a* will be 130

what will A be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Original post by Hsevras
what will A be?